Author Topic: Who would you rather have: Smart at #6 in '14 or Mudiay at #7 in '15?  (Read 2943 times)

Re: Who would you rather have: Smart at #6 in '14 or Mudiay at #7 in '15?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
With IT on this team Smart. Take IT out of the equation then I'd probably go Mudiay but it's tough. Mudiay on offense seems to be what Smart is on defense, special. If there are a ton of scorers that can create on the team or PG guards like IT/Curry/Rose or say Sgs like Martin/Middelton/Korver then I want Smart. It all depends on how the team is made up for me.

I think that's a good start to answering one of the questions I posed. Is Smart one of those guys like Rondo that, for his game to be maximized, needs a roster assembled around him? I don't think Mudiay is one of those guys unless he never develops any semblance of a jumpshot (which it seems he's already started doing) and never puts his physical ability to work on the defensive end. Mudiay seems to be a universal fit. That's a really underrated attribute.

I tend to disagree a bit on the "universal fit" comment.  Mudiay is a "true point guard."  I don't think you could play him next to another ball dominant guard. 

Although Marcus' offense clearly has a long way to go, he has shown that he can probably be a guy who you can play either on the ball or off the ball offensively.  I actually think his hybrid status makes him more of a "universal fit" than Mudiay. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would probably take Stanley Johnson over Smart but I am probably biased since I wanted the Celtics to tank for him all last year.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
This would be a fairer comparison if neither player was on our team. Because before Marcus Smart (and Jae Crowder), the Celtics biggest need was for a rim protector, not scoring or PG. But Smart's impact actually made us forget how putrid we are without him... Sunday was evidence of that.

I would stick with Smart over Mudiay... Smart is one of those guys that impact a team's culture, not just stats

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Great question.

For this team, I go Smart.

As an initial piece, I go Mudiay.