Author Topic: Can someone Bump the original Kg to the Nets trade thread  (Read 1430 times)

Can someone Bump the original Kg to the Nets trade thread
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Thought it would be funny with hindsight to see the reaction of Pierce and KG trade years after the fact.
 Would love to read through it.

Re: Can someone Bump the original Kg to the Nets trade thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:04:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think this is the main thread. You can see it evolve as more info came out:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66010.0

Simmons initial reaction was that it was horrible for Boston. 

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It was an interesting read.  Very few were for the trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I thought it was a brilliant trade from the beginning.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
From Aug 2013:

I think it is a good deal for Celtics.  It was time for this type of trade and a pretty good return.  In terms of what we sent out, I think Pierce is still really good and will make a big difference for the Nets and a big loss for the Celtics.  I think the same for KG but I don't see KG lasting a season without some major time on the DL.  He will perhaps have more "protection" on the Nets but he has gotten hurt every year and will probably see a steep decline.

In terms of what we got back, it is essentially 4 unprotected first rounders.  I don't think the 2014 pick is so exciting, I expect the Nets to be very good, but 2016, 2017 (swap), and 2018 are likely to produce some really good picks I think.

In terms of the players we got back, yeah, not much there but I think there is a good chance that Wallace returns to form (what is he, 31?) and then is a very valuable trade option at some point in the next year or two.  He was already traded once for a first round pick (and Okur) so he may be able surprise some people in what he gets back.

Now the best case of all these scenarios(all picks are great, Wallace returns to form and is traded for value, we get something for Humphries, Brooks develops into a solid player) would be pretty amazing but won't happen of course.   But more likely some combination of some of all of these still could add up to a pretty good result (maybe one or two really good players with their picks plus something for Wallace a year from now for example).

I had to go back and see what I said.  I always thought the picks would be good and understood it was time to move on from PP and KG.  Silly me  though, I also thought Wallace might return to form (nope).  We did get Lee for him in the end so not horrible.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, it was generally negative though if you track the thread, after the initial shock wears off and the 3 unprotected 1sts plus swap rights is confirmed, the mood gets more mixed, with a lot of people seeing value in the picks.  Wish I could say I was one of them but the prospect of losing Pierce and KG AND taking on Wallace's albatross deal kept me mostly down on it for a while.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I remember I first heard this was at another fan site called Celtic-Nation

A new user created a thread and said he worked for the wolves and said the KG was a done deal (this almost a full day before ANYONE else has reported it)

I always wondered if he really was an employee or just guessing right, cause at that time he posted it seemed like the KG deal was dead.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, it was generally negative though if you track the thread, after the initial shock wears off and the 3 unprotected 1sts plus swap rights is confirmed, the mood gets more mixed, with a lot of people seeing value in the picks.  Wish I could say I was one of them but the prospect of losing Pierce and KG AND taking on Wallace's albatross deal kept me mostly down on it for a while.

I think a lot of people felt that if we kept the team together they could potentially win 50+ games again and have another respectable run a la 2012, even though they'd likely fall short again.  Why rush into rebuilding if we can hold onto respectability a little while longer? 

The picks were just too good to pass up, though.  The Rondo injury really decided things, too.  Knowing he wouldn't be at full speed for a long while, there wasn't much reason to think the team would be able to seriously compete.

A really fascinating question: What direction would the franchise have taken if Rondo had never injured his knee?  Where would we be now?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
A really fascinating question: What direction would the franchise have taken if Rondo had never injured his knee?  Where would we be now?

Hard to say - we still wouldn't have been good enough to do much more that year (we were under .500 when he got hurt).  Maybe we get out of the 1st round but I think we'd run out of steam and wind up doing a similar deal that summer.  How we'd've dealt with Rondo is more uncertain - we might've just tried to lock him up with a max extension to keep him with us through the rebuild, or we could have traded him for more value than we wound up getting.  But I think the overall trajectory would be similar.

I've always been interested in a different what if - what if Derrick Rose doesn't blow out his knee in Game 1 of the 2012 first round?  If he doesn't, we likely never make the conference finals and probably blow up the team that offseason instead of the next.  KG was a free agent, so we likely get nothing for him, Pierce is a trade candidate, we don't sign Lee and Terry to long-term deals, etc.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think this is the main thread. You can see it evolve as more info came out:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66010.0

Simmons initial reaction was that it was horrible for Boston.

Everyone should re-read reply nr. 436 on p.30 of that thread: someone (TheFlex) reacted to everyone complaining by saying that we should not expect to fleece everyone all of the time. Discussing a deal that may (!!!!) go down as the most lopsided trade in history:)

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Quote from: me
nobody ever said, "Man, I really wish I hadn't made that trade with Billy King!"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
In fairness, I don't think Danny even thought the Nets would implode this much and that the picks would/could be this good.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
In fairness, I don't think Danny even thought the Nets would implode this much and that the picks would/could be this good.

True, but Danny made sure that if they did implode, the Cs would take advantage. All picks conveyed are unprotected...

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Probably not to this degree, but it was obvious Pierce and KG would be either retired or extremely limited by the time the 2016-2018 window hit.  And that's if they were even with the team.  Add Johnson's inevitable decline and rolling the dice that Williams' dropoff would be sustained, plus no real up-and-coming players, and the knowledge that the cap structure would make it VERY difficult to add any more impact pieces, and it was a pretty good bet they wouldn't be #25-30 like a lot of people assumed when the deal went down. 

Danny is consistently very good at playing the long game - realizing that in a league where few coaches and GMs are more than one bad year from being fired, a 1st 3-4 years out is easy to give away but may hold tremendous value when it actually pays off.  We have a very slow-developing Memphis 1st that may turn out similarly, but it may take until 2020 or 2021 to see it.  It's the classic strategy of finding overvalued and undervalued assets and exchanging the first for the second, and Danny plays it as well as anybody.  The job security helps a LOT, though, and that's where ownership should be lauded as well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:42:40 PM by foulweatherfan »