Harrison Barnes Max Extension Offer

Yes. Upgrade at SF.
13 (50%)
No. Just draft a SF.
9 (34.6%)
If be more comfortable at 65 million.
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll: Would you offer Harrison Barnes a Max contract  (Read 5158 times)

Re: Poll: Would you offer Harrison Barnes a Max contract
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
No.   Not until there is a star in place. 

He is not a star.   He does not play a position that is hard to fill in the NBA. 

He is a good player.  Don't pay him like a star just because the Cap is exploding and the Celtics have cap room.
I don't agree about the 3 being an easy position to fill. Especially when you are talking about a 3 that can switch 2-4.

I agree that you don't pay him like a star because the cap is exploding. I think you pay him like a star because you believe he will someday be a star. IMO he could be a star in that he makes the C's a lot better with his defense/athleticism and shooting. He's not a guy you can iso to get a bucket late but he is a talent that could grow into a great two way player.

I'd much rather have Barnes than a guy like Tobias Harris if they had both become free agents at the same time. Harris got near the max, I think Barnes will be in a similar situation for his draft class.

I just don't see that in Barnes.   But I didn't see star in guys like Harris or Middleton, but they got paid like it.   

Of course I wonder as the NBA approaches closer and closer to what the new salary cap norm is going to be, are teams going to slow down the max contract?
I do think Barnes will prove to be a max player a couples years in to the max contract he signs.

However, I think cap space is going to be essentially useless for a team like Boston over the next two summers with the cap going up and the level of depth we have. Due to the number of teams with cap space, I encourage the C's to target a starting level player even if the cost seems too high.

With the shorter contract lengths and the increase in cap space I think the concept of being jammed up with a cluttered cap sheet are over. With this in mind, I am fine overpaying for an upgrade like Barnes, because he is an asset we would gain that we wouldn't otherwise have.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

This season 31 mpg 14 ppg 5 RPG .490% fg .362%3pfg  868% ft

He's still only 23 years old. We would have him for his prime and he hasn't peaked yet. It's possible he could be a 18ppg 6rpg player on efficient shooting.

Barnes and Crowder could play together in small ball lineups. Thomas and Barnes can both get there own shot.
18/6 is not a max player at SF.

The guy is playing behind Steph Curry and Klay Thompson...what do you expect him to average!??!?!

Chris Bosh and Kevin Love both had their scoring drop from around 24-25 PPG to about 18 PPG when they left their previous teams (Toronto and Minnesota) to from "big 3" teams with Lebron.  In both cases they were the third offensive option.

The fact that he's shooting such high percentages for the past two seasons is a clear indicator that he is capable of putting up more points if he was give more shots.  I put him at maybe 18 PPG if he was a #1 or #2 scoring option on a not-so-stacked team.

Signing Barnes to a max deal is a big gamble - the potential is unquestionably there.  I see him becoming a Demar Derozan caliber player at worst, and a Paul George type at best.

The thing that makes me lean towards yes is that it's a relatively low risk deal, by max contract standards.  He's very young, we already know he can defend and hit the outside shot with consistency (meaning he'll always be a useful contributor) and the rising cap means the space is there to take the gamble on.

So yeh, I'd probably do it.

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He's still only 23 years old. We would have him for his prime and he hasn't peaked yet. It's possible he could be a 18ppg 6rpg player on efficient shooting.

Barnes and Crowder could play together in small ball lineups. Thomas and Barnes can both get there own shot.

The guy is playing behind Steph Curry and Klay Thompson...what do you expect him to average!??!?!

Chris Bosh and Kevin Love both had their scoring drop from around 24-25 PPG to about 18 PPG when they left their previous teams (Toronto and Minnesota) to from "big 3" teams with Lebron.  In both cases they were the third offensive option.

The fact that he's shooting such high percentages for the past two seasons is a clear indicator that he is capable of putting up more points if he was give more shots.  I put him at maybe 18 PPG if he was a #1 or #2 scoring option on a not-so-stacked team.
um.  re-read the post I responded to and then let me know if you think your response is still appropriate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

um.  re-read the post I responded to and then let me know if you think your response is still appropriate.

He's averaging Per 36 numbers this year of 16/6/2 and is shooting 50%/39%/88% while also playing quality defense.  If he pushed that up to 18/6 while shooting similarly good percentages (say, 47% / 37% / 85%) on a less stacked team while also playing good ...then I don't see why that doesn't classify as a max player.

There have been one-way players (Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Eric Gordon, etc) who have gotten max deals with numbers no more impressive than that. 

Regardless, I think he has potential to be more than an 18 PPG player, but that's another point altogether.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:53:23 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Sorry, I'm not following you?

I've read the post before yours (and yours) each about 4 times.  I stick by my response.

Perhaps I'm missing something?!?!
If someday on a different team he averages 18/6 he still is not a max contract player.  Not sure why that is hard to follow and your post has nothing to do with mine. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Sorry, I'm not following you?

I've read the post before yours (and yours) each about 4 times.  I stick by my response.

Perhaps I'm missing something?!?!
If someday on a different team he averages 18/6 he still is not a max contract player.  Not sure why that is hard to follow and your post has nothing to do with mine.

Tell that to somebody like Iggy, Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green.  I'm pretty sure Iggy has gotten max contracts before (if not, he;d have gotten very close to it), I'm pretty sure Draymond Green will get one somewhere when his current contract expires, and Kawhi Leonard already has one.

I think you underestimate the price tag that this league places on young, long, athletic wings who can play multiple positions and contribute on both end of the floor.

I get what you are saying now regarding my post, but regardless I'm not really in agreement that and 18/6 guy isn't worth a max contract in today's NBA.  Tobias Harris, Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward all got max contracts - neither one of those guys was really putting up any better than 18/6 and neither one of them could be considered two-way players at the time they signed their deals. 

Young, long and athletic wing defenders are highly valued in this league.  Three point shooters are highly valued in this league.  Efficient wing scorers are highly valued in this league.  Barnes is all three.  Throw in the fact that he's been "held back" by playing behind Curry/Thompson and that alone is going to leave at least a handful of teams eager to see what he's capable of with a bigger role in the offense. 

Paul George averaged very similar Per-36 numbers to Barnes in his first three seasons, but on nowhere near as efficient shooting.  Then in his 4th season he took a huge leap.  It's not hard to see Barnes potentially making a similar leap if he were to move to a team where he has a bigger role in the offense.   

Put all that together and it's almost certain he will get a max deal - especially in this highly competitive buyers market where every team has cap space. His potential as a highly athletic two-way wing is just too high. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:07:06 PM by crimson_stallion »

Clearly a max player
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Market max player. How many young, durable, sf/pf shooters in the league there are? He was on a great colledge. He is a champion. Thats always means something. He is extremly coachable, has a developing ballhandling and promising post game. Put him in the hands of CBS and watch him go. However i think he stays put.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd make the offer. Like others have said, I'd also be in touch with Batum. I really feel he could be great with Brad. Select Poetl with the Mavs pick, and I like that team.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about