Harrison Barnes Max Extension Offer

Yes. Upgrade at SF.
13 (50%)
No. Just draft a SF.
9 (34.6%)
If be more comfortable at 65 million.
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll: Would you offer Harrison Barnes a Max contract  (Read 5167 times)

Re: Poll: Would you offer Harrison Barnes a Max contract
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Part of me thinks that if we give Barnes the max it will be an overpay. On the other hand he is so young and athletic he could easily live up to it.

A 1-4 of Smart, Bradley, Barnes and Crowder would allow the C's to switch on a lot of screens and make the defense even better. My dream is for the C's to draft Ben Simmons and sign Barnes to start at the 3/4.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
I would give Barnes the max, but I highly doubt GS lets him walk.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Batum for 15-16M is a better option imho

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Batum for 15-16M is a better option imho

I agree, I have a feeling Batum would look really good in Brad's system.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.   Not until there is a star in place. 

He is not a star.   He does not play a position that is hard to fill in the NBA. 

He is a good player.  Don't pay him like a star just because the Cap is exploding and the Celtics have cap room. 

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens

He is not a star.   He does not play a position that is hard to fill in the NBA. 

He is a good player.  Don't pay him like a star just because the Cap is exploding and the Celtics have cap room.
Man, whom u call a star in this league?) This is not 90's anymore) We have no 10-15 megastars. We have Curry,Bron,Westbrook - who else?)))

If we decide to wait till we get a STAR - it might take a decade or two. We need to have a contender team. Atlanta was a big force last season with 4 allstar caliber player - none of them is a star.

This Boston team is a palyoff borderline team NOW. With 2 great weaknesses - good scorer with some defense and ball movement skills and a real BIG center to protect not only a rim but i say PAINT - like Hassan or Horford for example (Noel would be a God's gift).

I guess GSW won't play with their destiny and will pay max (or near max) to Barnes like Cavs did with TT.

Batum,Horford and Hassan are 3 good targets for Danny and CBS next summer not counting great chance of players like Simmons or Skal (Ingram is a bust imho atm) on draft day.

When it all said and done - we MIGHT be a great team on East with a chance for ECF and slight chance for winning it. IT/Smart/Bradley - Batum?/Crowder-Sully/Skal?-Noel or Hassan and this is a great force to contend with Cavs.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Is he a good passer with a high IQ?

He's certainly playing great this year and if he keeps it up someone will pay
him a lot.  If yes to above question then he'd make a great Celtic imo.
But he has to stay consistent with his 3 point shot.  Otherwise we already
kind of have his skill set on the team.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I don't agree about the 3 being an easy position to fill. Especially when you are talking about a 3 that can switch 2-4.

I agree that you don't pay him like a star because the cap is exploding. I think you pay him like a star because you believe he will someday be a star. IMO he could be a star in that he makes the C's a lot better with his defense/athleticism and shooting. He's not a guy you can iso to get a bucket late but he is a talent that could grow into a great two way player.

I'd much rather have Barnes than a guy like Tobias Harris if they had both become free agents at the same time. Harris got near the max, I think Barnes will be in a similar situation for his draft class.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Man, whom u call a star in this league?) This is not 90's anymore) We have no 10-15 megastars. We have Curry,Bron,Westbrook - who else?)))

If we decide to wait till we get a STAR - it might take a decade or two. We need to have a contender team. Atlanta was a big force last season with 4 allstar caliber player - none of them is a star.

This Boston team is a palyoff borderline team NOW. With 2 great weaknesses - good scorer with some defense and ball movement skills and a real BIG center to protect not only a rim but i say PAINT - like Hassan or Horford for example (Noel would be a God's gift).

I guess GSW won't play with their destiny and will pay max (or near max) to Barnes like Cavs did with TT.

Batum,Horford and Hassan are 3 good targets for Danny and CBS next summer not counting great chance of players like Simmons or Skal (Ingram is a bust imho atm) on draft day.

When it all said and done - we MIGHT be a great team on East with a chance for ECF and slight chance for winning it. IT/Smart/Bradley - Batum?/Crowder-Sully/Skal?-Noel or Hassan and this is a great force to contend with Cavs.

Blake Griffin, Cousins, Durrant, Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, George, Butler....

With upcoming stars like Karl-Anthony Towns, Wiggins, Kristaps Porzingis....

Not to mention who ever else I forgot to mention, there is more then three stars in the NBA. 

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't agree about the 3 being an easy position to fill. Especially when you are talking about a 3 that can switch 2-4.

I agree that you don't pay him like a star because the cap is exploding. I think you pay him like a star because you believe he will someday be a star. IMO he could be a star in that he makes the C's a lot better with his defense/athleticism and shooting. He's not a guy you can iso to get a bucket late but he is a talent that could grow into a great two way player.

I'd much rather have Barnes than a guy like Tobias Harris if they had both become free agents at the same time. Harris got near the max, I think Barnes will be in a similar situation for his draft class.

I just don't see that in Barnes.   But I didn't see star in guys like Harris or Middleton, but they got paid like it.   

Of course I wonder as the NBA approaches closer and closer to what the new salary cap norm is going to be, are teams going to slow down the max contract?

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens

Not to mention who ever else I forgot to mention, there is more then three stars in the NBA.
I was talking about megastars (sorry) who are real game changers and could stay healthy for all season and PO's 2-3 years in a row.
DMC is still on his way to a first PO appearance.
George is cool yes. Griffin is a joke.Chris Flop declining. KD and Brow are so much injury prone.
Young stars like Wiggy and KAT are cool off course.Hope we will have one after next draft.
But I dont see any of them coming to Boston soon. So my thoughts are to pay for a players who could make our weakness not so weak) And in this case I think Batum for less than max is better than Barnes for max.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:56:59 PM by Walter Moss »

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I was talking about megastars (sorry) who are real game changers and could stay healthy for all season and PO's 2-3 years in a row.
Gearge is cool yes. Young stars like Wiggy and KAT are cool off course.
But I dont see any of them coming to Boston soon. So my thoughts are to pay for a players who could make our weakness not so weak)

The Celtics are building up this treasure chest of trade-able assets to go after such thing along with vets on easy to drop contracts. 

I don't see how overpaying for a good SF who gets a huge offensive benefit right now based on who he is playing with (no chances he is double teamed.  Will not draw the other teams to defender) 

Good player.  Not one that I think greatly changes the fortune of this Celtics team. 

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Harrison Barnes will fill a need, I don't think it will cheap. And just looking around the league how thirst GMs are for players of this type, he won't be worth the dollars. He's being perfectly utilized in GSW, giving more minutes and responsibilities will give him a chance to earn his big pay, but when you have questions on whether a guy would live up to a contract then you probably shouldn't offer them to sign.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens

Gearge is cool yes. Young stars like Wiggy and KAT are cool off course.
But I dont see any of them coming to Boston soon. So my thoughts are to pay for a players who could make our weakness not so weak)

The Celtics are building up this treasure chest of trade-able assets to go after such thing along with vets on easy to drop contracts. 

I don't see how overpaying for a good SF who gets a huge offensive benefit right now based on who he is playing with (no chances he is double teamed.  Will not draw the other teams to defender) 

Good player.  Not one that I think greatly changes the fortune of this Celtics team.
This
So all I have now is hope for Simmons or Skal as our next KAT or Wiggins.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »

Offline markb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
YES!!!!!