Author Topic: Mike Gorman the Jinx  (Read 1998 times)

Mike Gorman the Jinx
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:14 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Love his announcing----but he Constantly Jinxes things for the Celtics.

Sunday morning on a radio talk show, says no way the Nets would win on Sunday (hasn't this guy been around the league long enough to know that one game doe NOT translate to the next--in fact, the opposite usually happens).

This game--When the C's cut the lead down to like 4-6 points after a nice comeback---Gorman says something like "I was looking at the Nets bench, and they all had looks on their faces like Here we go again"---of Course the Nets proceed to increase the lead and win the game easily.

Pre-Playoffs---last season, he announces the Celtics will win the series in 6---they promptly lose 4 straight.

He's ALWAYS jinxing free throws for and against us...Mike---SHUT UP -!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Re: Mike Gorman the Jinx
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:26:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Gorman is 67. That's prime-time to start saying stupid things. I'd be more worried if Tommy started showing signs of being non-combative, unbiased, etc. We ought to be okay.  :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:21 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm all for superstition, but i think we're looking at the wrong culprit...

Who knew that Sullinger would be half of himself without his haircut twin, Smart???
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:50:16 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
how dare you refer to my show as "a radio talk show" !  :P

Anyways, in all seriousness - I was a little more concerned about this game than he was, (or even Justin Poulin who came on for the pre-game lest we forget) - that's why I posed the question.  It was almost as if the worst thing that could happen was beating the Nets as bad as they did.  As young as this team is, I'm not quite sure they understand how important it is to bring energy to start games on the road.  They've gotten away with it this year, it always concerned me.  But it'd just be human nature for a team to get its manhood the way the Nets had it taken from them Friday - to come out strong.  Celtics just needed to match that early on and then talent wise, should've been enough to grab the game. Instead, it was an uphill climb the rest of the way and they ran out of gas.

We shouldn't ever get upset over any losses this season...except Nets losses.  For obviously reasons.  Those are not even double-whammies.  They are quintuple whammies.  I'm definitely a little peeved this morning.  And no, not at Mike Gorman for "jinxing" the Celtics.  Or at the fans on Friday for "motivating" the Nets.  Only one way our frustration should be directed at and we know what entity that is.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:19:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jinxes?   What are you 12?  You believe in that crap?

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

My thoughts exactly.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
C's outplayed by the Nets.  Geez.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

You DON'T believe in jinxes? What are you, 12?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It was a trap game ......from the get go......everybody riding high

Celtics stomped them .......so revenge factor was instantly came into play

The next game was very soon at. THEIR house .......revenge was FRESH on Nets minds ..from  a certain chewing out by the coach ,fans , family.

Pride on the. Line.

Celtics seemed to think they could coast though there with an easy win. No urgent play by bigs

And last but far far from least of the Celtics excuses ......lies with the absence of Marcus Smart.

He is their GENERAL on court and big voice off.     Simular to how aweful Clippers usually play when CP3 is injured. 

Whether Marcus scores much ...doesn't matter......Marcus MAKES the team GO.

His presence on the court keeping the battle under control is worth a lot .  He is the motivator on the court and sets the tone ....keeps people pushing and passing like CBS wants.

Celtics allowed Lopez,to play a slow lumbering half court game......which the Celtics are ill equipped to,deal with.   

I'm not shocked by the loss.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Anyways, in all seriousness - I was a little more concerned about this game than he was, (or even Justin Poulin who came on for the pre-game lest we forget) - that's why I posed the question.  It was almost as if the worst thing that could happen was beating the Nets as bad as they did.  As young as this team is, I'm not quite sure they understand how important it is to bring energy to start games on the road.  They've gotten away with it this year, it always concerned me.  But it'd just be human nature for a team to get its manhood the way the Nets had it taken from them Friday - to come out strong.  Celtics just needed to match that early on and then talent wise, should've been enough to grab the game. Instead, it was an uphill climb the rest of the way and they ran out of gas.

We shouldn't ever get upset over any losses this season...except Nets losses.  For obviously reasons.  Those are not even double-whammies.  They are quintuple whammies.  I'm definitely a little peeved this morning.  And no, not at Mike Gorman for "jinxing" the Celtics.  Or at the fans on Friday for "motivating" the Nets.  Only one way our frustration should be directed at and we know what entity that is.

Sorry....I Love Gorman though---He's the best in the business....but it seems every time he says something like "He's a perfect 8 for 8 from the line"---CLANG-!!

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's have to play very well to win most games they really can't have off nights and win. It was an off night. Nets are a decent team. Bottom 4-10 still but C's themselves are 13-18 from the bottom. Not a big jump from the Nets high to the C's low.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

You DON'T believe in jinxes? What are you, 12?

So the Celtics were going to win because it was already predetermined, then one guy said that he thought that the Celtics were going to win and when the god of fate heard those words, he magically changed the game from it's predetermined outcome?  That is the story here?

;)

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast

Sorry....I Love Gorman though---He's the best in the business....but it seems every time he says something like "He's a perfect 8 for 8 from the line"---CLANG-!!

that's because Heinsohn really emphasizes the times that does happen.

I was just more so than concerned that because of the youth on this team, they may not understand that after beating a team that bad less than 48 hours prior - that that opposing team was going to be balls out in their next contest.  For once, I was right.  For once.  My predictions and intuitions so far this year have been awful.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
remember the 2002 ECF vs. the Nets-?--HUGE comeback by the C's...putting them up 2-1 in the series...
Pierce says after the game---I don't know how they can come back from this.

Nets win 3 straight...Series over

My point: keep your mouth closed.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I don't believe in jinxes or anything, but Gorman has been chowing down on crow in regards to these predictions lately.
The only color that matters is GREEN