Author Topic: Celtics D and the Shot Blocker Myth (so far)  (Read 1248 times)

Celtics D and the Shot Blocker Myth (so far)
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Celtics don't have a big shot blocker or even a "true" center in the rotation. This was supposed to be a problem but, so far, they are the #2 defensive team in the league.

Also this season, the bottom 6 teams in the league in DRtg are the Bucks (also no real rim protector), Pelicans (Anthony Davis, Omer Asik), Nets (Brooke Lopez), Lakers (Roy Hibbert), Rockets (Dwight Howard), and Clippers (Deandre Jordan). Having big in the middle guarentees you nothing.

The Celtics are joined in the top 5 by the Spurs (Duncan, Aldridge), Heat (Whiteside), Pacers (center-by-comittee that includes Ian Mahinmi), and the Warriors, who play Bogut and Ezeli big minutes but whose best defensive lineups have Green at center.

So what does this all mean? Can the Celtics maintain a top-tier defense with this group for the season? Is bringing in a very tall person still a priority?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Celtics D and the Shot Blocker Myth (so far)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:03:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Chicago Bulls. Jordan, Pippen, and Ron Harper. Those guys made that defense all time great, it wasn't Luc Longley, and Bill Cartwright.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You don't need a shotblocker inside if you're forcing 20 turnovers a night.  Hopefully it keeps up.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
You don't need a shotblocker inside if you're forcing 20 turnovers a night.  Hopefully it keeps up.

Agreed. Solid perimeter defense is most definitely a form of rim protection.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rim protection is overrated.

Give me good team defense over a tough rim protecting big that can't anchor a defense. (Deandre Jordan.)

Shots fired.

Although, I would probably cry tears of joy if he was here on our team though.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes, the problem is that forcing 20 turnovers a night is not sustainable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
It's a good thing the Celtics don't force 20 turnovers a night. You see how pedantic I was? I

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It's a good thing the Celtics don't force 20 turnovers a night. You see how pedantic I was? I

18.8 before tonight's game.

Sorry, was off by 1.  Forgive my wild hyperbole.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

'By 1.2 Also, that's going down tonight :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

It's not serious, I'm just making fun.

I don't think that amount is sustainable either. But Milwaukee proved last year you can perform well on defense with a smart scheme, good athletes and a deep rotation. I don't think we should be worried about the Celtics defense as much as their offense.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celtics don't have a big shot blocker or even a "true" center in the rotation. This was supposed to be a problem but, so far, they are the #2 defensive team in the league.

Also this season, the bottom 6 teams in the league in DRtg are the Bucks (also no real rim protector), Pelicans (Anthony Davis, Omer Asik), Nets (Brooke Lopez), Lakers (Roy Hibbert), Rockets (Dwight Howard), and Clippers (Deandre Jordan). Having big in the middle guarentees you nothing.

The Celtics are joined in the top 5 by the Spurs (Duncan, Aldridge), Heat (Whiteside), Pacers (center-by-comittee that includes Ian Mahinmi), and the Warriors, who play Bogut and Ezeli big minutes but whose best defensive lineups have Green at center.

So what does this all mean? Can the Celtics maintain a top-tier defense with this group for the season? Is bringing in a very tall person still a priority?

it is still a problem

against teams with smart coaches , they will find a way to exploit the lack of true shot blocking

It will be nice to see Mickey get some mins

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

More teams have begun exploiting teams with defensive minded shot blockers by yanking them away from the hoop (even Anthony Davis is struggling with this).  This really messes with their effectiveness as many of them hold little value defending away from the hoop and are big negatives on the other end of the floor.  With the right personnel you can chase some of them off the floor weakening their teams defense significantly.  It looks like for the foreseeable future teams are going to be looking for highly mobile 2 way big men (who are not easy to find) and letting go of or benching the Hibberts, Noels and Asiks.  Davis himself should only be playing center as its harder to exploit him there.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't think that amount is sustainable either. But Milwaukee proved last year you can perform well on defense with a smart scheme, good athletes and a deep rotation. I don't think we should be worried about the Celtics defense as much as their offense.

I agree.  Give Brad some solid pieces and he'll cobble together at least a respectable defense, last night notwithstanding.

The offense is far too reliant on jumpers though.  Last night's a blowout if not for some flamethrowing from Avery.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The D is short term without the shot blocker/rim protector/Paint Keeper.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
How about it's nice to have both.