Author Topic: Smart out "A couple weeks plus"  (Read 2535 times)

Re: Smart out "A couple weeks plus"
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
what I want to know is what is injury. I doubt a lower leg injury is the diagnosis.

Tibiofibular Subluxation

Partial dislocation

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well his defense aside, he is 8th on the team in +/-, his PER is 11th (not that either stat is all that important)... you could make the case he shouldn't be anywhere near a starting lineup right now based on his 32%/24% shooting.  I think most teams around the league would utilize him as a defensive role player off the bench.  The one thing the Celtics don't lack is depth.  We have lots of decent players.  Evan Turner, for instance, might have been our best player during our big run last year... this likely gives him more minutes.  I'd guess we'll be fine... win some and lose some.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am excited to see Rozier get more playing time.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
so when is roziers coming out party :D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd say "excited" but this will be a big opportunity for him.  Hope he is able to contribute, he seems to have the ability if he can learn to play within himself.  Similar for Hunter - one of those guys will be getting the lion's share of Smart's minutes.

Does anyone know if we've called anyone up from Maine because of this?  Seems like Young might be the likely candidate. 

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well I guess we get to see if the fears about starting a 5'9 185 pound point guard next to a 6'2 180 pound shooting guard are warranted.  Seems to me a Thomas/Bradley back court will give every opposing back-court a Dirk Nowitzki height advantage. 

Maybe we start Turner at SG to deal with the size issue?

Should be a hit on defense, but maybe an improvement offensively.  Smart has been pretty terrible on that end.
I like this idea. Bradley has been good in the 6th man role, keep him there.  Turner is bit bigger than Bradley.  Play RJ more to help on defense.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Well his defense aside, he is 8th on the team in +/-, his PER is 11th (not that either stat is all that important)... you could make the case he shouldn't be anywhere near a starting lineup right now based on his 32%/24% shooting.  I think most teams around the league would utilize him as a defensive role player off the bench.  The one thing the Celtics don't lack is depth.  We have lots of decent players.  Evan Turner, for instance, might have been our best player during our big run last year... this likely gives him more minutes.  I'd guess we'll be fine... win some and lose some.

I agree, especially about Turner. I'm high on him.

However, this from yesterday on the front page describing both their injuries:

While the Celtics were less-than-specific with the diagnoses, sources revealed details to WEEI's Mike Petraglia:

The results of the MRIs and extent of the damage to their knees is unknown. Medical personnel fear damage to Turner's meniscus and poplitel tendon and a tibiofibular subluxation for Smart, according to the source

Also, I posted this yesterday in the "Why Can't Smart Stay Healthy" thread. Reading between the lines suggests iy could be a lot more than two weeks. let's hope not.

TREATMENT OF PROXIMAL TIBIOFIBULAR JOINT INSTABILITY

The treatment of proximal tibiofibular joint instability usually depends upon whether it is an acute or chronic injury. In acute cases, we have found that immobilization in a brace in full extension for 3 weeks is often very effective to allow the posterior proximal tibiofibular joint ligament tear to scar in sufficiently such that there is no instability. However, in chronic cases, immobilization would not be sufficient to achieve this goal. Thus, Dr. LaPrade and his team have developed an anatomic proximal posterior tibiofibular joint reconstruction procedure. We have found it to be very effective at restoring stability to this joint and not resulting in joint overconstraint. In the past, while others have often treated this instability of this joint by fusing it, we have reported through research that a proximal posterior tibiofibular joint ligament reconstruction is easily performed, does not overconstrain the joint and has decreased the chance of leading to ankle pathology further down the line.

In addition, we frequently perform a common peroneal nerve neurolysis concurrent with the ligament reconstruction to release the scar tissue around the common peroneal nerve so that any further nerve irritation will not occur after surgery due to postoperative swelling or scar tissue entrapment.

POST-OP

Patients who undergo this reconstruction are kept on crutches for 6 weeks with no to minimal weight-bearing movement, but are allowed full range of motion. After 6 weeks postoperatively, patients may start to use a stationary bike with low resistance. We anticipate that our patients will return back to full activities about 4-5 months after surgery, following the rehabilitation program.
http://drrobertlaprademd.com/proximal-tibiofibular-ligament-instability

Doesn't sound good.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
no it doesn't sound good... and boston is a team that notoriously is weird about public injury prognosis.  We all remember the year KG was supposed to be coming back any day and it just kept getting extended and extended until he was gone the entire year...   Or last year where Sully was out for the season and miraculously returned.   Here's hoping the team doesn't mask a serious Smart injury.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
no it doesn't sound good... and boston is a team that notoriously is weird about public injury prognosis.  We all remember the year KG was supposed to be coming back any day and it just kept getting extended and extended until he was gone the entire year...   Or last year where Sully was out for the season and miraculously returned.   Here's hoping the team doesn't mask a serious Smart injury.

Shaq.

Let's just hope for the best.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Shaq.

Curse of the 2014 Draft Class.   Was supposed to be the greatest draft class in a decade and with the exception of Wiggins, it's been nothing short of a disaster.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I was skimming the page and felt a tiny shudder...I reread and realized it was from seeing the term "popliteal tendon" again.  That was KG's mystery injury if I remember correctly.  Although one correction - KG did come back that year, for about 4 games before being shut down again.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Shaq.

Curse of the 2014 Draft Class.   Was supposed to be the greatest draft class in a decade and with the exception of Wiggins, it's been nothing short of a disaster.
Yep. Exum was showing signs of being the second best player in that draft IMO, before getting injured this summer.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Injury called "subluxation of the proximal tibfib joint"

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yea, it's hypermobility of the joint. Needs rest and immobilization. Hopefully his issue isn't a chronic one, though.

Hope our defense steps up in his absence. Rozier will have a lot more successful in an open floor, run and gun game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:18:11 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yeah, I don't know if I'd say "excited" but this will be a big opportunity for him.  Hope he is able to contribute, he seems to have the ability if he can learn to play within himself.  Similar for Hunter - one of those guys will be getting the lion's share of Smart's minutes.

Does anyone know if we've called anyone up from Maine because of this?  Seems like Young might be the likely candidate.
Forsberg reported that both Young and Rozier were called up from Maine after Smart's injury.

I would also stop short of saying I'm "excited" since the opportunity for these guys is coming from an injury to Smart, but this is going to be a nice opportunity to see what we got in Rozier, and maybe an opporunity for Young to show his improvement.

At the end of the day, this team's strength was supposed to be its depth. This is the test.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008