Author Topic: Smart out "A couple weeks plus"  (Read 2534 times)

Smart out "A couple weeks plus"
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Per Brad Stevens.....What does this do to our team? Can we weather the storm?

Re: Smart out "A couple weeks plus"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hurts the team a bit in the short term, because it means Bradley goes back into the starting lineup and now the quality minutes he was giving us as a sixth man go instead to Terry Rozier or RJ Hunter.

I don't think it's a big deal for the team's effectiveness in the short term.  More of a concern big picture -- Smart's had a fairly disappointing, borderline troubling, start to the season, with the exception of some highlight plays on defense and that game against OKC.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Hurts the defense considerably.  Probably improves them offensively.  Will need Rozier to step up and fill void for a few minutes a game.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
what I want to know is what is injury. I doubt a lower leg injury is the diagnosis.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
This might seem crazy, but I think we should force feed minutes to James Young at this point.

D-league James Young makes us a threat in the league and if the biggest issue is confidence and defensive assignments he ain't gonna get better playing in the D-league.

I like RJ and Rozier, but their skillset on this team is replacable... we don't have a pure shooter like Young. Once and for all I think we need to commit to him in a substantial rotation role and if he sucks then we simply cut him and stop the rubbish with keeping him around

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think this hurts a lot. We are good due to steals and defense. Our offense is best when we are getting steals. Losing a defender of his caliber will hurt us quite a bit. Especially since we need depth so that guys can run full steam for 48 minutes. Lose Smart and guys need to conserve energy.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This might seem crazy, but I think we should force feed minutes to James Young at this point.

D-league James Young makes us a threat in the league and if the biggest issue is confidence and defensive assignments he ain't gonna get better playing in the D-league.

I like RJ and Rozier, but their skillset on this team is replacable... we don't have a pure shooter like Young. Once and for all I think we need to commit to him in a substantial rotation role and if he sucks then we simply cut him and stop the rubbish with keeping him around
Our team is all about d right now.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Very unfortunate.  His defense is a game changer on this team.  I think the bigger story isn't that he's out for the next couple weeks, but that he just keeps getting injured and missing games.  This is scaring me a little bit now.

If he's a part of a big trade, the return on him isn't what it could be if he keeps getting hurt.  If he's a part of the long-term future, he needs to be on the court not just because of how much he helps the defense but to continue to work on his offensive game and become more consistent with it.

If Smart ends up becoming an injury-riddled player, this could have big time consequences on the construction of this team.  This is something that really needs to be kept an eye on.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well I guess we get to see if the fears about starting a 5'9 185 pound point guard next to a 6'2 180 pound shooting guard are warranted.  Seems to me a Thomas/Bradley back court will give every opposing back-court a Dirk Nowitzki height advantage. 

Maybe we start Turner at SG to deal with the size issue?

Should be a hit on defense, but maybe an improvement offensively.  Smart has been pretty terrible on that end.

Re: Smart out "A couple weeks plu
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
what I want to know is what is injury. I doubt a lower leg injury is the diagnosis.

My wife is A PT .....the few words of injuryl seemed like a near dislocation to,her .....so just a guess based on sketchy info quality.   

In past ...Seems like the Celtics like to hide the facts to,me. :angel:

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Hurts the team a bit in the short term, because it means Bradley goes back into the starting lineup and now the quality minutes he was giving us as a sixth man go instead to Terry Rozier or RJ Hunter.

I don't think it's a big deal for the team's effectiveness in the short term.  More of a concern big picture -- Smart's had a fairly disappointing, borderline troubling, start to the season, with the exception of some highlight plays on defense and that game against OKC.
I agree. Maybe the time off will help him regroup and come back better.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:06:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
[dang] [dang] [dang]NNN
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I agree too.......he just needs to recover ,  fingers , toes, and leg ........let it all heal .   Excellent time to accelerate Rozier .

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 05:09:59 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Our team is all about d right now.

Agreed and I love the defensive intensity. This team has a toughness I really love to watch. But we can't shoot and there is no way around that. I think CBS is just making the best use of the tools he has, so we have to focus on D with a team like ours cuz we have no threatening offensive players except for IT.

So while we can have the number 1 defense in the league without a legitimate shot blocker, we'll never be a contender without a stone-cold shooter

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I agree too.......he just needs to recover ,  fingers , toes, and leg ........let it all heal .   Excellent time to accelerate Rozier .
Yep. And hopefully when he returns he also learns how to pace himself. The way he's playing, he'll be injured goods in 5-6 years.