Author Topic: refs play critical part of celts game  (Read 1907 times)

refs play critical part of celts game
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
if the refs let the celts just play tough defence but if they call it too tight it will hamper us-
everybody is now talking celtics defence,i wish it was under the radar--rollie massimino had us playing a vicious man to man help d-like todays ice way back 50yrs ago-he also taught us the art of drawing charges we were so far advanced in the techniques of basketball some moves were always called a travel like todays  euro step
we are in semi finals state tournament and we drew a minimum of 5/6 offensive fouls in first half these refs must have got together during halftime in 2nd half they all went against us-they blew that game so tight against us for the rest of the game -we lost by 1 point
my fear is the refs try to level the playing field like its unfair the celts hustle all the time ,play tenacious d all game every game
they allowed last year marcus to play d like no previous rookie,add crowder a middle linebacker and a pickpocket avery-what you have is defensive heaven
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:48:00 PM by rollie mass »

Re: refs play critical part of celts game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We had some terrible calls tonight. Crowder's imaginary 'leg kick' gets called, but Jarrett Jack can literally jump into 5'9" Isaiah Thomas after head faking. (They changed the rule this year to curb the head fake/make contact with the defender).

I do agree with you though that the officiating crew is probably going to decide some close games for us this year. If they let us play a bit more physical we'll have a huge edge, but if not, we don't get as many points off turnovers which is key for us.
This Nets game tonight and the Dallas game were two prime examples of not letting our guys be physical..and some terrible officiating in general.

But
1) the Nets were on fire in the first half
2) we had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the 4th quarter but just didn't capitalize.
3) They hit tough shots all night

Even with bad officiating we still could have easily won this one.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
this wasn't on the refs at all, they have stunk all season.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is why I have always maintained that of all the sports BB is probably the one the refs can influence the most and the easiest.

First it is a game played in very close quarters with all the bodies cramped in the paint the refs are called upon to make a lot of judgment calls.

The block vs charge call is one of the most discretionary calls in sports.

The refs can call quick fouls on a team's star player and thereby limit his minutes.

Finally, the way the refs choose to call a game can severely neutralize a team's strength. Take this year's Celtics. Anytime the refs choose to call a tight game the Celts lose their edge.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Celts didn't bring it! Saying that the refs were terrible. In general I hate refs, but they do have a tough job. Sometimes I wish refs here were treated like soccer refs in other countries! In basketball it's hard for me not to think some of these guys are either on the take, bias or betting on games. For the live of me I can't figure out how the NBA league office does not take more heat for the constant bad calls.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We had some terrible calls tonight. Crowder's imaginary 'leg kick' gets called

What got called was that he brought his legs forward and impeded the other's guy ability to land straight down.   It was a legit call, I did not see it until the replay but it was the right call and doing that could hurt a guy.   It did kill our momentum, and he needs to stop doing that anyways.

We took them lightly, they wanted this one.   We normally win 50/50 balls but tonight we did not.  I think JJack had them well bribed.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
there were several others that might need review and explantion-isaiah and his offensive foul cutting off player while dribbling and forcing him to collide another a pulldown foul--jerebko had a very poor time losing the ball while dribbling it seemed the knicks had active hands-i sure didn't like the movement when rozier played
his style seems very exaggerated stop start and alot of dribbling getting nowhere-nice to see zeller make a flip hook from odd angle ,
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:16:11 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
We had some terrible calls tonight. Crowder's imaginary 'leg kick' gets called, but Jarrett Jack can literally jump into 5'9" Isaiah Thomas after head faking. (They changed the rule this year to curb the head fake/make contact with the defender).

I do agree with you though that the officiating crew is probably going to decide some close games for us this year. If they let us play a bit more physical we'll have a huge edge, but if not, we don't get as many points off turnovers which is key for us.
This Nets game tonight and the Dallas game were two prime examples of not letting our guys be physical..and some terrible officiating in general.

But
1) the Nets were on fire in the first half
2) we had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the 4th quarter but just didn't capitalize.
3) They hit tough shots all night

Even with bad officiating we still could have easily won this one.

These - "Crowder's imaginary 'leg kick' gets called, but Jarrett Jack can literally jump into 5'9" Isaiah Thomas after head faking." were the worst calls I might have ever seen.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
In general, yes, how much the refs let us play will determine how goo we are to an extent as we play pretty physical on D. But we just got beat here. I'm pretty p---ed off about it but not really at anyone in particular and not really at the refs. I had to watch the nets broadcast though so maybe I would feel different if I had been listening to Tommy all game.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
 the call on isaiah as he accelerated down court while cutting the angle of nets defender and causing the defender to bump into him-we were taught to put on the brakes to draw fouls ,to me isaiah was the offensive player with the right of way once he got ahead of defender-that play was another momentum killer-

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We had some terrible calls tonight. Crowder's imaginary 'leg kick' gets called

What got called was that he brought his legs forward and impeded the other's guy ability to land straight down.   It was a legit call, I did not see it until the replay but it was the right call and doing that could hurt a guy.   It did kill our momentum, and he needs to stop doing that anyways.

We took them lightly, they wanted this one.   We normally win 50/50 balls but tonight we did not.  I think JJack had them well bribed.

I don't agree. He was taking a leaning back jumpshot to avoid the defender. As the shooter he has the right to land safely as long as he's not purposely trying to create contact.
Crowder does sometimes kick his legs out to draw contact- but his mission here was to score and not play for free throws....and the ref made a bad call IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I was at the game sat 4 rows out from Crowders Leg kick... Even the Nets fans questioned the call. Deflated the team and the Celtics fans in the crowd. But besides that call the Celtics got pretty man-handled all night. If your letting Bargnani go off your going to lose.