Author Topic: Tobias Harris is the perfect fit in Boston, could help C's reach ECF  (Read 3079 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know there have been other posts about acquiring him, but couldn't find it .

Anyways, Danny was interested him in free agency before the Magic let it be known that they would match any offer he received ( which was the smart thing to do so they can get something in return instead of letting him walk for nothing).

But with the emergence of Fournier , and their last 2 top 5 picks both playing the wing positions (Gordon and Hezonja ) they could be willing to move him , especially if they aren't in the playoff chase come February .

Bos sends : David Lee, Dallas pick, rozier or hunter
Orl sends: Harris

PG: IT           / Turner
SG: Smart     / AB
SF: Crowder   / Harris
PF: Amir         / KO
 C: Sully         / Zeller

This trade give us a much more versatile roster .

All defensive unit who can still score and space floor

Smart
AB
Crowder
Harris
Amir

Offensive fire power unit

IT
AB
Harris
KO
Sully

It also opens up playing time for Zeller who could replace most if not all of Lee's production .

Harris is probably the most affordable talent we can add without giving up any of the Brooklyn's picks . I really want Danny to try and make a deal for him .

Re: Tobias Harris is the perfect fit in Boston, could help C's reach ECF
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's definitely a possibility.

I wonder who he'd prefer out of Harrison Barnes or Tobias Harris?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Advanced stats have Harris as a very average player.  Only shooting 31% from 3 (he'd fit right in).

Don't see him as a big upgrade, and certainly not at $16m per year.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
TH's salary is not totally unreasonable in this era:

this year: 16.0, 17.2, 16.0, 14.8

I didn't know he had any defensive chops though, please enlighten us.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If we're trading for Harris he isn't on the depth chart behind Crowder. He's gotta start.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It's definitely a possibility.

I wonder who he'd prefer out of Harrison Barnes or Tobias Harris?

Definitely Barnes. Superior ability to defend his position. Superior defensive range 1 through 4 (PG to PF). Superior quickness and athleticism. That gives him a big edge over Tobias Harris. Harris a better rebounder. Both guys comparable scorers. Harris slightly more aggressive. Overall, the large difference defensively swings things clearly in H.Barnes direction.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if Ainge wanted him that he would have signed him this summer.  He showed zero interest, why then would he trade for him now?

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think if Ainge wanted him that he would have signed him this summer.  He showed zero interest, why then would he trade for him now?

This ^

Danny wanting to land a BIGGER fish

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Incredibly mistaken, Ainge was interested... particularly when it was reported early on that Orlando wasn't interested in bringing him back all that much. When Orlando struck-out with Millsap, they let it be known that they'd match ANY offer for Tobias Harris.

So you're wrong in 2 fronts. 1st that Ainge didn't have any interest, and 2nd that he could've signed him if he wanted to.

I'm sure a sign-and-trade could've been arranged if needed, but not sure if there would've been mutal interests in assets... I don't think Ainge during the summer would've been interested in giving much value above what the cost of salary would've been as it is. Ainge I think also had reservations about going for the MAX amount, but reports had him going close to it anyways.

But yeah, I think your assessment is far from an accurate depiction of this Summer's events.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The other place Tobias Harris is a perfect fit? Orlando. He's #2 on the team in minutes per game and plays both the 3 and the 4. Aaron Gordon still can't shoot and Hezonja looks like he's going to need more time before he can contribute.

Harris is 23 and the team just comitted a bunch of money to him. I think we should be looking elsewhere for a getable trade target.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Would the Celts be better starting Harris at the 3 instead of Crowder?  Seems like that'd be a huge defensive downgrade, and might not help the offense as much as you'd think.

I've always felt Harris should be a small 4 playing next to a defensive center. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Would the Celts be better starting Harris at the 3 instead of Crowder? 

No.  Crowder is a much, much better defender.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

So hypothetically if Harris was here and we started him at the PF position who would you play at center. Amir or Sully.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I know we need to start to consolidate some of our picks and clear a few roster logjams, but IMO Harris feels like a sideways move...

DMC, Gorgui Dieng, Harrison Barnes are on my short list...

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
But with the emergence of Fournier , and their last 2 top 5 picks both playing the wing positions (Gordon and Hezonja ) they could be willing to move him , especially if they aren't in the playoff chase come February .

He may be available, but I would work under the assumption that you are not getting any sort of discount just because the Magic have depth at that position.  This isn't a "trade him for whatever you can get at the deadline" situation.

I also think that any good GM is going to look at Boston's stash with hungry eyes and insist on a future Nets pick as part of any deal for a player of this perceived level.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference