Author Topic: (Rumor) Hassan Whiteside  (Read 10612 times)

Re: (Rumor) Hassan Whiteside
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
There's no question the talent is there but what I'm worried about is his effect on team chemistry. This team has such a great team, unselfish mentality and I would hate bringing in a player that could hurt that. ESPECIALLY for good assets
What is a better Asset than a 25 year old great Rim protector other than Steph Curry.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Whiteside is a genuine nut job.
Ask yourself, if Whiteside was that special, do you think Pat Riley would give him up vs letting D Wade go?
Wouldn't make any sense.

If he is on the trade market, it's because the heat thought maxing him out was too risky.

TP.  If we give Whiteside a big contract we will end up longing for the good old days of Mark Blount.  Remember when we "struck gold" with him?  How many 20 rebound games did Blount have during his contract year?  I think people forget (or some are too young to have seen it) how good he was that year...he was phenomenal. Then he got a big contract and turned into a sloth.

Character matters. It's not some outdated platitude.  It can influence wins and losses.

I agree, but so does talent - and Blount was much less talented. He averaged 10 and 7 during his breakout year, with 1 block. 3 years later he was pretty much the same player except that a certain GM made a horrendous decision based on a few games. He was never actually that good.

It's early, but Whiteside is on pace for the best shot blocking performance in 20+ years, and he's averaging 15 and 11 to go along with it.

You make some excellent points re the comparison to Blount. TP.

My biggest issue with all of this is though, is that the Heat won't let Whiteside go unless he's a complete disaster (mentally).
Them keeping Wade happy over Whiteside at age 25 just isn't a hard decision.
Danny would never keep Pierce over Whiteside and Riley won't keep Wade over Whiteside....unless Whiteside is a mental muppet/huge long term risk.

Why would Miami let this guy go or trade him if he's that awesome? They know him better than any other franchise. It's a lose/lose situation for any team that pays him the max  (other than Miami) IMO.

Blount is a terrible comparison, he only had a PER over 12.7 once in his career, when at age 28 he hit 16.0. Whiteside has a career PER literally more than twice as great, at 25.6 to 12.5, as Blount's.

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
concerns me that Whiteside has a career total of 9 assists ......

Yeah, he's a weak FT shooter too.

On the other hand, he has a career average PER of 25.6. When's the last time the C's had a player average that for a year?

He's also a career average 17/15/4(blks) per 36, TS% of .608, and WS/48 of .216.

He has an O/DRTG so far this year of 108/86.

The guy is hitting 60+% of his shots, and you guys are worried about him passing?  You want him passing to a guy whose hitting 40%?

Hassan, if you get the ball, you shoot it.

;D

That's the point I was trying to make.

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd wait and offer him the max. I would be willing to give multiple first rounders for him that's not from Brooklyn if Miami would be willing.

Kid still needs some maturity, but it looks like he's not making any boneheaded mistakes when it comes to his hot headed nature as of now, so, improvement?

Above all else, kid is a shot blocker and can control the boards, and he's 26 years old. I'd want to be in on any sweepstakes for him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Also, and please tell me if I'm wrong on this.

After clearing the cap holds, Miami would be at $49 million next year. I think that would be enough to resign Wade and Whiteside. They will have a very thin bench, and just have to settle for Vet. Minimum signings from there, but they at least keep Hassan.

Is that going to work.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think the rumor is really interesting, but how much are you guys willing to pay.

Just trading Zeller doesn't work out. We need more assets to make the deal, and we need to take a player on as salary dump to make it work.

Would you be willing to make this deal:

Birdman+Whiteside = Kelly, Sullinger and/or Zeller + how many picks?

You can also remove either Kelly or Sullinger from the deal, but I believe they are the assets in the deal for Heat.

I'm really not sure how much in would like Whiteside, mostly because I haven't seen Heat that much this season, so my knowledge is based on stats alone!