Author Topic: (Rumor) Hassan Whiteside  (Read 10554 times)

Re: (Rumor) Hassan Whiteside
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 02:42:18 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Whiteside is a genuine nut job.
Ask yourself, if Whiteside was that special, do you think Pat Riley would give him up vs letting D Wade go?
Wouldn't make any sense.

If he is on the trade market, it's because the heat thought maxing him out was too risky.

TP.  If we give Whiteside a big contract we will end up longing for the good old days of Mark Blount.  Remember when we "struck gold" with him?  How many 20 rebound games did Blount have during his contract year?  I think people forget (or some are too young to have seen it) how good he was that year...he was phenomenal. Then he got a big contract and turned into a sloth.

Character matters. It's not some outdated platitude.  It can influence wins and losses.

I agree, but so does talent - and Blount was much less talented. He averaged 10 and 7 during his breakout year, with 1 block. 3 years later he was pretty much the same player except that a certain GM made a horrendous decision based on a few games. He was never actually that good.

It's early, but Whiteside is on pace for the best shot blocking performance in 20+ years, and he's averaging 15 and 11 to go along with it.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Ask yourself, if Whiteside was that special, do you think Pat Riley would give him up vs letting D Wade go?
Wouldn't make any sense.

If he is on the trade market, it's because the heat thought maxing him out was too risky.

TP.  If we give Whiteside a big contract we will end up longing for the good old days of Mark Blount.  Remember when we "struck gold" with him?  How many 20 rebound games did Blount have during his contract year?  I think people forget (or some are too young to have seen it) how good he was that year...he was phenomenal. Then he got a big contract and turned into a sloth.

Character matters. It's not some outdated platitude.  It can influence wins and losses.

I agree, but so does talent - and Blount was much less talented. He averaged 10 and 7 during his breakout year, with 1 block. 3 years later he was pretty much the same player except that a certain GM made a horrendous decision based on a few games. He was never actually that good.

It's early, but Whiteside is on pace for the best shot blocking performance in 20+ years, and he's averaging 15 and 11 to go along with it.

You make some excellent points re the comparison to Blount. TP.

My biggest issue with all of this is though, is that the Heat won't let Whiteside go unless he's a complete disaster (mentally).
Them keeping Wade happy over Whiteside at age 25 just isn't a hard decision.
Danny would never keep Pierce over Whiteside and Riley won't keep Wade over Whiteside....unless Whiteside is a mental muppet/huge long term risk.

Why would Miami let this guy go or trade him if he's that awesome? They know him better than any other franchise. It's a lose/lose situation for any team that pays him the max  (other than Miami) IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Wouldn't make any sense.

You make some excellent points re the comparison to Blount. TP.

My biggest issue with all of this is though, is that the Heat won't let Whiteside go unless he's a complete disaster (mentally).
Them keeping Wade happy over Whiteside at age 25 just isn't a hard decision.
Danny would never keep Pierce over Whiteside and Riley won't keep Wade over Whiteside....unless Whiteside is a mental muppet/huge long term risk.

Why would Miami let this guy go or trade him if he's that awesome? They know him better than any other franchise. It's a lose/lose situation for any team that pays him the max  (other than Miami) IMO.

There may be cap considerations and other free agents. Lebatard was talking about the Whiteside situation. Miami will offer him a max deal he reckons, but with Bosh and Dragic (and Wade final payday, barring some disaster) and Whiteside max (and throw in McRoberts guaranteed deal there) all taking up at least 90 million .. and even with the cap explosion they will have no wiggle room to make a serious approach to Durant, which everyone seems to be talking about down there. So they may take their time while they feel out Durant, but someone will pay him the max, I think... Hope it is not us.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Miami Heat Rumors: Hassan Whiteside Trade Before Deadline Imminent Rather Than Lose Him To Free Agency; Celtics Ready To Pounce

http://en.yibada.com/articles/83038/20151109/miami-heat-will-lose-hassanwhiteside-free-agency-confirmed-trade-before.htm

tl;dr

The Heat may decide to trade him before the deadline because they don’t have full Bird Rights. Unless they clear their cap space they can only offer him $ 9 million. The Celtics are reportedly interested in trading for him.

It is obviously a huge risk since he is an expiring, but let’s face it, if we don’t move now, we will most likely strike out in free agency. What would you guys be willing to give for him?
Ybada.com, that's just where I go for my breaking trade news. I mean, you can't beat an Asian source when it comes to being connected within the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we need a center but I think this dude is trash.

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Miami Heat Rumors: Hassan Whiteside Trade Before Deadline Imminent Rather Than Lose Him To Free Agency; Celtics Ready To Pounce

http://en.yibada.com/articles/83038/20151109/miami-heat-will-lose-hassanwhiteside-free-agency-confirmed-trade-before.htm

tl;dr

The Heat may decide to trade him before the deadline because they don’t have full Bird Rights. Unless they clear their cap space they can only offer him $ 9 million. The Celtics are reportedly interested in trading for him.

It is obviously a huge risk since he is an expiring, but let’s face it, if we don’t move now, we will most likely strike out in free agency. What would you guys be willing to give for him?
Ybada.com, that's just where I go for my breaking trade news. I mean, you can't beat an Asian source when it comes to being connected within the NBA.
Yeah right, because whenever the mainstream media report a trade rumor, it’s a done deal. They never report garbage stories.

Anyway, up until now, we are talking about the defensive player of the year. Last night he recorded 13 points, 9 rebounds and 8 blocks!! If there is a slight chance of him being available, that’s something worthy of discussion. Having said that, I see the point that he is probably gonna ask for the max next summer and I feel really cautious about maxing him out. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:28:58 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
1st in the league in Defensive Rating, by 6 points per 100 possessions.  Spread between 2nd and 19th is 5 points.  He's having an incredible year on the defensive end.  He's 6th in the league in rebound percentage, and is shooting 63% from the field.  He may be a nutcase (I don't really know), and his assist numbers are ridiculously bad, but he's an impact player, there's no doubt of that.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah right, because whenever the mainstream media report a trade rumor, it’s a done deal. They never report garbage stories.
No, because when an obscure site who likely has no "boots on the ground" around the league reports a rumour, it's typically garbage. See the difference?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He has game now , good energy . Impressive stats......Wactching video what not to,like......BUT??

Not very good passer or ball IQ......he finishes some good plays .....I don't see create for others.

he seems a bit dim witted to me ...making some stupid plays

Some how I don't trust him to stay focused as a player.    He may become a whiner and diva once he is paid a big contract.

I feel he may be corrupted from the Heat .....diva .....star ......I do I do what I please .....walk on the coach attitude that PREVAILs in Miami ......thanks to Wade and LeBrons reign

He fits into that vein of players like Sanders ....just a bit out of control and not so down to earth.

He might not fit so well into a more structured game ......like Stevens runs.

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 07:15:53 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He has game now , good energy . Impressive stats......Wactching video what not to,like......BUT??

Not very good passer or ball IQ......he finishes some good plays .....I don't see create for others.

he seems a bit dim witted to me ...making some stupid plays

Some how I don't trust him to stay focused as a player.    He may become a whiner and diva once he is paid a big contract.

I feel he may be corrupted from the Heat .....diva .....star ......I do I do what I please .....walk on the coach attitude that PREVAILs in Miami ......thanks to Wade and LeBrons reign

He fits into that vein of players like Sanders ....just a bit out of control and not so down to earth.

He might not fit so well into a more structured game ......like Stevens runs.

Speaking of Larry Sanders, what exactly IS he up to these days?  Call him Danny.  We need a rim protector.

Smitty77

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
First, there is absolutely no way Miami trades Whiteside this year. The only two scenarios in which that could happen are if Miami plays poorly and looks likely to miss the playoffs, or, someone offers an already more established star at the center position.

Miami looks like they are easily the 2nd best team in the East right now, and I don t think that will change, barring injury (always a possibility). So that scenario is unlikely. Also, Whiteside makes the league minimum, so any trade for him is extremely complicated. Who is going to give up major assets for a player you won't even have bird right's for, or RFA status. That is a seriously risky gamble. The only way I see that happening is if a team with cap space can get him to agree to an extension, which I'm not even sure is legal under the CBA.

But I would trade a pretty hefty haul for Whiteside if his contract situation was different. Dude is a game changer.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would love to see the talent come to Boston.

It is the package that has me worried.   If (and that is a big if) Miami wants to get rid of him because they do not want to give him the big contract (and be honest, Miami is not a cheap team), then I do not want the Celtics giving up any major assets for him. 

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
concerns me that Whiteside has a career total of 9 assists ......

Yeah, he's a weak FT shooter too.

On the other hand, he has a career average PER of 25.6. When's the last time the C's had a player average that for a year?

He's also a career average 17/15/4(blks) per 36, TS% of .608, and WS/48 of .216.

He has an O/DRTG so far this year of 108/86.

(Oh, and the answer on the PER question seems to be 1987-88, when Bird had the last of his four years at or above that level.)

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
concerns me that Whiteside has a career total of 9 assists ......

Yeah, he's a weak FT shooter too.

On the other hand, he has a career average PER of 25.6. When's the last time the C's had a player average that for a year?

He's also a career average 17/15/4(blks) per 36, TS% of .608, and WS/48 of .216.

He has an O/DRTG so far this year of 108/86.

The guy is hitting 60+% of his shots, and you guys are worried about him passing?  You want him passing to a guy whose hitting 40%?

Hassan, if you get the ball, you shoot it.

;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
There's no question the talent is there but what I'm worried about is his effect on team chemistry. This team has such a great team, unselfish mentality and I would hate bringing in a player that could hurt that. ESPECIALLY for good assets