Author Topic: Is Marcus too unselfish for the celtics offense?  (Read 1444 times)

Is Marcus too unselfish for the celtics offense?
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Watching him in summer league he was allowed to be the man and dominate the ball and his ability showed although erratic at times.  Between him, bradley, crowder we have elite defenders and Smart is a staple on this team regardless.  Plus with Amir in there.  He makes his impact in other ways not just in the box score.  But I just feel like with Bradley and Isaiah here as well as Turner, Smart is the least efficient and he isn't taking the shots because he knows there are more efficient offensive players on this team.  He's only in year two though. I expect him to start taking a jump next year and maybe later this year.   It seems like when he is called upon he has the ability to score and distribute.  See the westbrook matchup.   When he needs to put up numbers he can.  I think what Smart is suffering from is Bill Russell syndrome in ways.  He isn't a natural offensive player like he is on defense at this point.  He just isn't as efficient as other players and isn't taking shots.

Re: Is Marcus too unselfish for the celtics offense?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Smart and KO are probably too unselfish, and Turner/Thomas are probably too selfish for the Celtics' offense, so it all evens out.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Smart to me seems like a guy  where you put him on another team and he would dominate the ball and put up numbers although erratically like so many faux offensive stars do in this league.  Why I wouldn't trade him.  I think he's just being unselfish and playing his role.  Maybe too unselfish in ways because he has the ability. It's like he's waiting for his time or something and to get better in certain areas.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:05:44 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't know if he's too unselfish, but he definitely needs to take it to the rim more often.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Smart is not too unselfish at all... he has terrible shot slection is what he has.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He's shooting 33% overall from the field on 9.3 shots per game. 24% from 3.  Until he gets his shooting percentages up, I don't want him shooting more.  His free throw attempts have gone up from 1.9 per game last season to 3.6 this season, so he has made improvement in that regard. 

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He is about right given his percentages.

I d like him working on his inside game moves , small flip shots etc more

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I thought the thing about him coming into the league was that he was an inefficient scorer in college and he was mainly successful because he could use his size to bully his way to the basket. I didn't watch him in college, but my understanding was that the concern was that he wouldn't be able to use his physicality once matched up against NBA athletes. 

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Smart is not too unselfish at all... he has terrible shot slection is what he has.

This

I didn't watch him in college, but my understanding was that the concern was that he wouldn't be able to use his physicality once matched up against NBA athletes.

And this.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I just don't understand how he can put up a great offensive game against westbrook then disapears most of the time otherwise.  Is westbrook that bad a defender?  It just seems like smart makes a conscious effort to have a good game those games because the celtics need it from him.

It seems like it's a conscious decision that he is going to take his 9 shots or so most nights and play off the ball because he isn't as efficient as bradley or thomas.  That's just the way it is.  But when he is called upon and gets his shots he has the ability to score.

I don't think his focus is scoring most nights I guess is what im saying. He's more trying to play defense and get in guys way.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 09:04:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwp8u5u0Jrw

It's happened the last two times the celtics have played the thunder.  It's like Smart is saying i'm going to shoot 30 percent the rest of the time but I'm going to match the best offensive stat stuffing pg in the game?  It makes no sense.

Smart is going to end up being like Kawii Leonard or something.  There's something there where his offense and role is just going to take time to catch up.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This

I didn't watch him in college, but my understanding was that the concern was that he wouldn't be able to use his physicality once matched up against NBA athletes.

And this.

I'll contest what LarBrd33 said with, it's one thing for him to be unable to use his physicality in the NBA, and it's another thing him trying to do so at all. It's the latter what is actually happening, he's not even trying... he's settling for the quick three without trying to get inside. There's simply no attempt.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:50:31 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Unselfish isn't really the word you're looking for. There are two things at fault here, IMO.

One, it's a fault of the system that doesn't give him enough responsibility on offense. A lot of possessions, Smart is relegated to standing on the corners and wings, waiting for the kick out. Sort of like Rondo in his first year under the big 3. If we had to depend on Smart more, we should be running more post ups for him, or allowing him to operate using multiple screens in the pick and roll.

Second, it's a fault of his shot selection. When Smart gets the ball, he's too willing to settle for the 3. And this shot selection is a product of both the system and his current skill level. He currently doesn't seem to have the speed to blow by people (which is where a Wade or Deron comparison will fall short, despite similar body type), and at the same time, he doesn't have the footwork of someone like Pierce who never needed elite speed.

- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Offensively he doesn't stand out anywhere so I can't say he's to unselfish. Honestly I don't want him shooting anymore than he is until he improves. The kid brings it I'll give him that, his talent?

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 10:49:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He can't score reliably as he did in Summer League, there is a lot more competition in the NBA.