Author Topic: Dwight Howard  (Read 5603 times)

Dwight Howard
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Dwight Howard is no longer the force he once was, but he is still a really talented player who can rebound, play defense, and bully opposing players. The Rockets are terrible and are reaching the point where they need to make changes to their roster. They also have a promising young Center behind Howard in Clint Capela. We could offer them (on December 15th) Jerebko, Zeller, pobably Lee (for salary purposes), and a pick or two for Howard and a filler. They get desperately needed defense and 3 point shooting from Jerebko, a nice Center to split minutes with Capela, a great veteran presence, and a cost-controlled young player or two. We bolster our already ridiculous defense and greatly improve our rebounding. I think it's a win win, but what do you guys think?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Dwight Howard
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I mean, sure, for that price, why not?  I don't think Dwight is as good as people have made him out to be.  But he's still only 29, is averaging 13/13/2 and is the rim protector the team needs.  And he only has this year and a 23 million dollar player option for next year.  So he's not going to saddle the team forever if he underachieves again. 

But I don't think Houston bites.  I still think they have aspirations to turn this around and trading him for that package is essentially blowing it up and going into rebuild. 

I think they only go for it if we offer Brooklyn picks, which are too rich for my blood given his history of injuries and underachievement. 

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
no way the nets make a trade unless it's a godfather offer (like all 3 nets picks).

they are holding out hope they can lure a free agent to houston (which IMO won't happen).

so duh-wight and harden will remain in purgatory for the forseeable future. which is fine by me, they are two of the most unlikeable players in the league.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
no way the nets make a trade unless it's a godfather offer (like all 3 nets picks).

they are holding out hope they can lure a free agent to houston (which IMO won't happen).

so duh-wight and harden will remain in purgatory for the forseeable future. which is fine by me, they are two of the most unlikeable players in the league.
Nets have nothing to do with it.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Obviously a typo - he even said 'Nets picks' in parentheses. He meant Rockets.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

They have everything not to do with it.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
I mean, sure, for that price, why not?  I don't think Dwight is as good as people have made him out to be.  But he's still only 29, is averaging 13/13/2 and is the rim protector the team needs.  And he only has this year and a 23 million dollar player option for next year.  So he's not going to saddle the team forever if he underachieves again. 

But I don't think Houston bites.  I still think they have aspirations to turn this around and trading him for that package is essentially blowing it up and going into rebuild. 

I think they only go for it if we offer Brooklyn picks, which are too rich for my blood given his history of injuries and underachievement.

I'm thinking that they might be in quite the hole and in need of a change by the time that players signed last year can be traded. And I strongly agree about the Nets pick, no chance I give that up for Howard.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think Dwight Howard totally goes against the type of players and the type of culture CBS and Ainge are trying to build. I don't see them having any interest in him.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I think Dwight Howard totally goes against the type of players and the type of culture CBS and Ainge are trying to build. I don't see them having any interest in him.

I hope you are right!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I believe McHale was quoted as saying that Howard was the only one trying on defense. And we don't need him to be a leader in the clubhouse. He can just play great defense, rebound, and score on open dunks.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I believe McHale was quoted as saying that Howard was the only one trying on defense. And we don't need him to be a leader in the clubhouse. He can just play great defense, rebound, and score on open dunks.

McHale's comment is not quite a ringing endorsement either. Its more of a shot at how bad the rest of the team was on defense than anything. Dwight is selfish, lazy, can't shoot, creates trouble on every franchise he has been on, and has a poor basketball IQ. All the things Ainge and CBS have repeatedly stated and shown they look to avoid in players. They have no problem taking on overpaid vets if they have a great attitude, like David Lee, but Dwight is the opposite end of the spectrum.

To be under Kevin McHale on a franchise built around you, and fail to add a single low post move to your extremely limited repertoire speaks volumes.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

McHale's comment is not quite a ringing endorsement either. Its more of a shot at how bad the rest of the team was on defense than anything. Dwight is selfish, lazy, can't shoot, creates trouble on every franchise he has been on, and has a poor basketball IQ. All the things Ainge and CBS have repeatedly stated and shown they look to avoid in players. They have no problem taking on overpaid vets if they have a great attitude, like David Lee, but Dwight is the opposite end of the spectrum.

To be under Kevin McHale on a franchise built around you, and fail to add a single low post move to your extremely limited repertoire speaks volumes.

I don't think you guys understand Ainge at all.

Talent trumps everything and loves buying low on trouble makers.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Just  my own observation, there are a lot fewer posters in this and other Celtics blogs this year.  I am not saying the Celtics have lost fans, but they have pulled back from active participation...gone into a "wait" mode, maybe.

I believe Ainge has alienated a lot of fans by the wholesale dismantling of beloved Celtics players over the past few years, and I don't think he would win many back with the addition of Dwight Howard. 

Speaking for myself, I have been a Celtics fan for more than 50 years, and this year I find myself following the Clippers, the Kings, the Timberwolves, and the Celtics.  I have not let myself get invested in any of the present Celtics, because I am not sure who will be here for the full season.  While it is nice  seeing the young players develop, there would have been more continuity if one or more of the Championship team had been held around to mentor them and possibly offered a position after their playing days ended. 

There is a lingering feeling that player loyalty and fan loyalty are, sadly, disposable commodities.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just  my own observation, there are a lot fewer posters in this and other Celtics blogs this year.  I am not saying the Celtics have lost fans, but they have pulled back from active participation...gone into a "wait" mode, maybe.

I believe Ainge has alienated a lot of fans by the wholesale dismantling of beloved Celtics players over the past few years, and I don't think he would win many back with the addition of Dwight Howard. 

Speaking for myself, I have been a Celtics fan for more than 50 years, and this year I find myself following the Clippers, the Kings, the Timberwolves, and the Celtics.  I have not let myself get invested in any of the present Celtics, because I am not sure who will be here for the full season.  While it is nice  seeing the young players develop, there would have been more continuity if one or more of the Championship team had been held around to mentor them and possibly offered a position after their playing days ended. 

There is a lingering feeling that player loyalty and fan loyalty are, sadly, disposable commodities.
He alienated fans by doing great moves that made the team much better for the future? With fans like that, a franchise is in trouble.

Continuity means nothing when you are a not a good team. We had continuity with Pierce pre KG and I can tell you from my firsthand experience, there were not a lot of fans in the arena.

Maybe they lost fans because there were a lot of frontrunners who enjoyed the team when it was at the top and bailed when that was no longer the case.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Dwight isn't even playing back to backs this season. He is not worth the commitment, especially with the wildcard of his attitude.