Author Topic: The obligatory trade for Harden thread  (Read 3145 times)

The obligatory trade for Harden thread
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:47:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Let me preface this by stating that I do not think Houston will be trading Harden anytime soon. I still think there is a chance they can somewhat work out a winning roster in Houston with as much talent as they have. However, that roster is seriously and deeply flawed with character issues, because there are quite a few questionable characters on that roster without many high character guys, which seem to be overflowing on the Celtics.

But let's imagine the perfect storm occurs that would make a Harden trade viable by the deadline, i.e. they keep losing, we keep winning, the Brooklyn pick is still fighting for a top-3 losing record. So let's posit that they start a firesale by breaking it all down, first by shipping Howard off to another team, perhaps somewhere like Dallas.

What would it take to get Harden in Boston? Honestly, though like Boogie there are some concerns with Harden's attitude and character, I absolutely LOVE the idea of pairing him with Smart in the backcourt. The question remains whether or not we could actually get Harden without giving up Smart, though.

Would something like this be enough to pry Harden from Boston:

Boston in: Harden, Ariza

Boston out: Lee, JJ, Rozier, KO, Brooklyn 2016 pick, and Boston 2017 pick (with ability to switch with Brooklyn)

This would leave us with a lineup of:
PG: Smart, IT
SG: Harden, Bradley
SF: Ariza, Crowder
PF: Sully, Mickey
C: Amir, Zeller

I really, really like this lineup. The shooting of Harden and Ariza in the starting lineup is very beneficial, and it pushes IT and Bradley to their more natural positions as elite bench players. Also, this extra shooting in the lineup doesn't come at too much of a cost defensively, because Ariza is a plus defender and the extra size in the starting lineup alone (over 10 inches!) will be beneficial defensively. Harden is also a competent defender when engaged, too.

What do you think? Too much? Not enough? Wouldn't touch Harden with a ten-foot pole? Don't like adding Ariza?

Re: The obligatory trade for Harden thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Let me preface this by stating that I do not think Houston will be trading Harden anytime soon. I still think there is a chance they can somewhat work out a winning roster in Houston with as much talent as they have. However, that roster is seriously and deeply flawed with character issues, because there are quite a few questionable characters on that roster without many high character guys, which seem to be overflowing on the Celtics.

But let's imagine the perfect storm occurs that would make a Harden trade viable by the deadline, i.e. they keep losing, we keep winning, the Brooklyn pick is still fighting for a top-3 losing record. So let's posit that they start a firesale by breaking it all down, first by shipping Howard off to another team, perhaps somewhere like Dallas.

What would it take to get Harden in Boston? Honestly, though like Boogie there are some concerns with Harden's attitude and character, I absolutely LOVE the idea of pairing him with Smart in the backcourt. The question remains whether or not we could actually get Harden without giving up Smart, though.

Boston out: Lee, JJ, Rozier, KO, Brooklyn 2016 pick, and Boston 2017 pick (with ability to switch with Brooklyn)

I really, really like this lineup. The shooting of Harden and Ariza in the starting lineup is very beneficial, and it pushes IT and Bradley to their more natural positions as elite bench players. Also, this extra shooting in the lineup doesn't come at too much of a cost defensively, because Ariza is a plus defender and the extra size in the starting lineup alone (over 10 inches!) will be beneficial defensively. Harden is also a competent defender when engaged, too.

What do you think? Too much? Not enough? Wouldn't touch Harden with a ten-foot pole? Don't like adding Ariza?

That would be amazing if that happened, but I have to agree with your initial assessment that they will not trade harden. Even if they go absolutely horrible I think your first idea of a howard trade is possible, but not really one for Harden. He is only 26...

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

That would be amazing if that happened, but I have to agree with your initial assessment that they will not trade harden. Even if they go absolutely horrible I think your first idea of a howard trade is possible, but not really one for Harden. He is only 26...

Yeah, I suspect the same. And most likely it will be a situation where if he does become available for trade, it will be because of character issues or him being toxic in the locker room. At that point, though, it really does become a question if his talent and style of play is worth the potential risks.

We could always hope he demands a trade if they're that bad, but it's doubtful Morey would even consider it with as many years as he has left on his contract.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't see the Rockets trading Harden, but I do think they would consider trading Dwight, because he can leave at the end of the year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Personally, I'm anti-Harden; not a fan of his game.

I know this will sound ridiculous to some, but oh well.  I've fallen in love with the defensive attitude and the collective approach to playing offense.  Harden would chance the character and make up of our team significantly.

Not interested. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Is it a Coincidence that Harden and The Rockets now SUCK--and McHale has been fired...
Since Harden started dating Khloe Kardashian...?

The Curse continues.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I don't see the Rockets trading Harden, but I do think they would consider trading Dwight, because he can leave at the end of the year.

Yeah, the thing is I'm pretty sure that he's explicitly stated to Danny before that he's not interested in playing in Boston. His injury history the last several years also worries me.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Boston only have a rebuilding trade package to offer for Harden.

I don't think Houston would trade Harden for that type of a package. If Houston were to trade Harden, I think they would want a win-now trade that allows them to continue challenging for a Championship. Something like Harden for John Wall or Harden for Paul George.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Personally, I'm anti-Harden; not a fan of his game.

I know this will sound ridiculous to some, but oh well.  I've fallen in love with the defensive attitude and the collective approach to playing offense.  Harden would chance the character and make up of our team significantly.

Not interested.

I absolutely hate his game, too, though I think a lot of his current game has been predicated on being in Houston and being allowed to basically streetball the entire time.

The talent is just so tantalizing that it's very hard to not take that gamble that he might work better in our system. I mean last year he stepped up his defense significantly after being criticized so heavily for that Portland series. His offensive game would be where he would have to change the most. Call me a dreamer, but I think in the right system with the right coaching and management he can still be an MVP-type player that doesn't think he's on an And-1 mixtape.

What is telling, though, is that Cousins seems like a safer trade right now than Harden, who was 2nd in MVP voting last year. Cousins' game would just fit perfectly in our system.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
What exactly does Harden do negatively that Turner doesn't do?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Last star I'd want to add to the Celtics. 

He is not like Durant, Melo, Westbrook and Lebron.  He can be shut down and on his off shooting
nights what does he contribute?

He's a legit star but I seem him as a regular season type superstar...

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 02:11:01 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Just saw an article saying that a lot of the players on the rockets felt he was aloof etc. he also seems to be a big part of their on the court issues as he simply coudnt be bothered to run back on D and he shoots way more than anyone else.

They have a new HC now, but what if Harden continues to play horribly and so do the rockets. In the West it is easy to fall out of playoff contention. I think if we get to the deadline and Harden is plaiyng really inneficiently and seems to be the mental/chemistry/on-court problem I tihnk the team might actually shop him and yes I think we need to push hard for him.

Cousins, Melo, Harden are the type of stars that hit the market. They are guys who have issues but great talent. If we can get one at below market value (this can be translated to "we can get them") then we need to.

Its just another name to add to the "maybe sorta this stud could end up on the trade block"

I think in all likelihood the rockets get their superstar back on track and he never sniffs the tradeblock.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 02:15:58 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Last star I'd want to add to the Celtics. 

He is not like Durant, Melo, Westbrook and Lebron.  He can be shut down and on his off shooting
nights what does he contribute?

He's a legit star but I seem him as a regular season type superstar...
Hell Id take any of them!

Harden Melo Cousins you name it! sign me up!

Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
What exactly does Harden do negatively that Turner doesn't do?
Turner defends better, helps team chemistry.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 02:36:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why oh why would Houston trade him?  If anything it seems like maybe adding Lawson to the mix and missing Beverly all this time has killed that team.

The rockets need more Jae crowder type guys.   And more guys who can hit shots.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain