Author Topic: Kevin McHale Fired by Rockets (merged threads)  (Read 9369 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB: Kevin McHale fired
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Below average coach. Should have been fired 2 years ago.

That Rockets team deserves a better coach.

Can you explain last season?

They did well last year. That doesn't change my opinion of McHale as a head coach. He doesn't hold his players accountable. A lot of Harden's bad habits were developed or made worse under McHale because he didn't hold Harden accountable for his defensive lapses. His teams frequently underachieve defensively. The team's offense is an eye-sore to watch in the half-court. He has failed to create team identity for Rockets while there. He does some things I like such as empowering players to make decisions on the court rather than micro-managing. But overall, McHale is not a top coach and Houston as a title contender should be searching for a top quality coach to help push them forward to the next level.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Not surprising.  Team totally quit on him the other night.  That was the type of game that gets coaches fired. 

Morey should be the one feeling the pressure though. That team is badly in need of a couple of guys who work hard all the time. 

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
So once they lose 3 of their next four what would you be willing to give up for Harden?

He's been pretty bad this year, no hustle, matador on defense. Sure don't look like the runner-up to MVP. Would you give the Nets pick, our own 1st, Sully and Rozier for him?

James Harden is a great player, but he doesn't fit with what's happening with the Celtics. 

Honestly, I'll pass.

Really? A lot of folks around here would give up a pile of assets for Cousins, Harden is a guy who's a legit MVP candidate, who lead Houston to the WCF last season and is a legit 25 PPG scorer on a nightly basis. He may be kinda mailing it in so far this season, but he's like 26 and just entering his prime. He can shoot 3's and passes well. If CBS can turn Cousins into a winner like a lot of us believe, he could certainly reign in Harden, right?

We have a lot of great defenders, and I think Harden could really fill our biggest holes. He's a star player who can consistently create his own offense, he can pass and shoot. That's the kinda guy I'd entertain an offer centered around a Brooklyn pick or two for.
James harden "volume scorer" shoots way to much, relies on refs to bail him out.

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
So once they lose 3 of their next four what would you be willing to give up for Harden?

He's been pretty bad this year, no hustle, matador on defense. Sure don't look like the runner-up to MVP. Would you give the Nets pick, our own 1st, Sully and Rozier for him?

James Harden is a great player, but he doesn't fit with what's happening with the Celtics. 

Honestly, I'll pass.
This was the celticsbloggiest thing I've ever read.

So after the inevitable 3 losses the Rockets will have in the next 4 games, after which they will of course trade their best player, we should decline because he doesn't fit what we are doing?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Morey constructed a team which resembles someone's NBA 2K team. That team has bigger problems than it's coach. The fact they went out and acquired Lawson who doesn't fit on or and off the court (unless partying with Harden counts) is telling in itself. Who's the leader on that team? Harden? The guy that stands around on defense? Howard? Lol yeah right

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
dumb move , he just got them to the wcf and came back from 3-1 against the clips.

Howard and harden are to blame......

Howard and Harden got them to the wcf and came back from 1-3 vs the clippers, too

Uhh, what? Harden was on the bench during that Game 6 comeback. That series was more so about Josh Smith and the bench going crazy and catching the Clippers at their weakest and most unsuspecting.

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Camera was on pand off McHale s face the whole game as we destroyed them .  He looked HE had given up ....at least his body and face language made me think so....

He did not show the correct attitude ......but a I give up ,  this team sucks kind of head shaking ..other small things that you don't want a coach doing......not good.

I wonder as I watched the game....was his job in jeopardy .......he seemed to have LOST the team to be frank .

But after all he is a super smart and nice guy and he is one of my Boston NBA heroes. 

I think Danny should bring him to Boston as an assistant coach !!!   

It just looked wrong him sitting on that Houston bench .......he had that why me look ...

I think he longs for being part of Boston s team .

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Camera was on pand off McHale s face the whole game as we destroyed them .  He looked HE had given up ....at least his body and face language made me think so....

He did not show the correct attitude ......but a I give up ,  this team sucks kind of head shaking ..other small things that you don't want a coach doing......not good.

I wonder as I watched the game....was his job in jeopardy .......he seemed to have LOST the team to be frank .

But after all he is a super smart and nice guy and he is one of my Boston NBA heroes. 

It just looked wrong him sitting on that Houston bench .......he had that why me look ...

why would he want to comeback as an assistant to CBS? 

Mchale imo is finished as a coach. He got a nice payday and can just relax and retire. Or find a job as a consultant

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
dumb move , he just got them to the wcf and came back from 3-1 against the clips.

Howard and Harden got them to the wcf and came back from 1-3 vs the clippers, too

Uhh, what? Harden was on the bench during that Game 6 comeback. That series was more so about Josh Smith and the bench going crazy and catching the Clippers at their weakest and most unsuspecting.

That comeback took 3 games,.  Sitting for one part of the comeback doesn't invalidate every other contribution.

You don't honestly think that McHale had more to do worth the comeback then the players,  do you?

(Not to mention that the part of my post you cut off saidhow the changes since last year (ie. Lawson, you can throw in Smith, too) are the issues, not the players that put then in that position in the first place)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

That comeback took 3 games,.  Sitting for one part of the comeback doesn't invalidate every other contribution.

You don't honestly think that McHale had more to do worth the comeback then the players,  do you?

I never said anything about McHale nor the issues that are happening right now, I'm simply saying the idea that Harden and Howard brought them back from 1-3 is patently wrong. Their bench brought them back. Harden did his usual thing once the bench saved the series and prevented them from getting eliminated.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
a few things.

Can Kevin get a job for ESPN or some other broadcasting and try for a head coaching job next year? That would seem like a good plan for him now.

Paid vacation would seem like another good plan.

If he wants something small to do, I' love him back home in Boston.

The thing that stuck out to me watching the Rockets game was hoe much I had over rated Howard. Just cause he is so big I've wanted to get him for a while. I hate his attitude. He is the only player I have ever seen get called for taking over 10 seconds on a free throw, but I still wanted him. But seeing him again the other night, I have lost interest.

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
the beginning of the end for the Rockets! It's cool cuz I hate Harden and Dwight :)

Me too.

Kobe said Howard is a disease that can over take a locker room .

I think he is right .   Howard's mental IQ is same as his shoe size.

I believe Harden has now fell under the Dwight " Smile " everything is ok, I'm making millions ,  I could careless aura that IS his nature.

Howard is far from his Orlando self ......way way off IMO ......

A lot of us on the Celtics blog knew Howard was no good as team player. Kobe knew ..yet fans and GMs ignored the obvious .

So now McHale has to take a black eye for Howard's foolishness .
And now Harden simular attitude.

I would trade Harden away too ........

The stands looked about 1/3 empty , the crowd was quiet ....saw lots of GREEN jerseys .

The HONEY MOON is over .... I doubt Howard and Harden stay ......time for Morey to rebuild

But it started with the stupid move not to resign the energy guy Parsons . 

Rockets suck

And I d love to tell Drexler to suck a bag of worms .....and his stupid Rockets

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Mchale imo is finished as a coach. He got a nice payday and can just relax and retire. Or find a job as a consultant

Why doesn't George Karl retire , or Phil Jackson , pat Riley , Bird any of the old guys .....it's all they know money doesn't matter .....they want to still BELONG and be a part of something they love
You haven't lived long enough to,understand this.

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Why doesn't George Karl retire , or Phil Jackson any of the old guys .....it's all they know money doesn't matter ..
You haven't lived long enough to,understand this.

I know . But Mchale won't comeback as an assistant to CBS.

It's like Bird or Jordan doing that. These guys don't do these kind of things

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
a few things.

Can Kevin get a job for ESPN or some other broadcasting and try for a head coaching job next year? That would seem like a good plan for him now.

Paid vacation would seem like another good plan.

If he wants something small to do, I' love him back home in Boston.

The thing that stuck out to me watching the Rockets game was hoe much I had over rated Howard. Just cause he is so big I've wanted to get him for a while. I hate his attitude. He is the only player I have ever seen get called for taking over 10 seconds on a free throw, but I still wanted him. But seeing him again the other night, I have lost interest.

Broadcaster is definitely another option