Author Topic: Getting Boogie without Nets pick... {BOS - SAC - NO proposal}  (Read 6016 times)

Getting Boogie without Nets pick... {BOS - SAC - NO proposal}
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm pretty sure at some point, New Orleans have to start tanking. This is the whole premise for this proposal.

Boston gets:
Demarcus Cousins

New Orleans gets:
Rudy Gay, 3 boston picks (Dallas, Minn, Celtics own)

Sacramento gets:
Tyreke Evans, David Lee, New Orleans top pick

Why Boston: We get Cousins, won't have to give up that Nets pick.
Why New Orleans: Get a proven wing scorer for Anthony for 2016-17, and trading down picks would give them some more cap space while getting out of Tyreke's contract.
Why Sacramento: The New Orleans pick, plus their own pick... potentially 2 top 10 picks.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Getting Boogie without Nets pick... {BOS - SAC - NO proposal}
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
deals in the NBA are not as much about being fair as they are about being the highest bidder. Before any DMC trades would happen, I think things would need to blow up in Sac Town or DMC would have to make a real stink- they realize the talent they have. Then you have to look at what other teams could offer and what teams would think they could get good with DMC fast enough to keep him for his next contract. IDK the answer to this question but my gut tells me Sac would want more than 1 high pick and Evans.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:16:48 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
deals in the NBA are not as much about being fair as they are about being the highest bidder. Before any DMC trades would happen, I think things would need to blow up in Sac Town or DMC would have to make a real stink- they realize the talent they have. Then you have to look at what other teams could offer and what teams would think they could get good with DMC fast enough to keep him for his next contract. IDK the answer to this question but my gut tells me Sac would want more than 1 high pick and Evans.

This is fair. However, a lot of trade talks that involve Boston trading the Nets pick should have equal validity for the New Orleans pick. They've been equally as bad
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
That's an incredibly bad trade for Sacramento.  They're giving up the two best players in the trade and are only getting one 1st for it and it is not even the Nets pick.   

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This would make sense if the Kings were tanking maybe. 

Not really convinced they are though - they did sign Rondo, after all.

But sure, if they decide to tank then getting 4 picks (one of them - NO - being potentially top 5), plus a $15M expiring contract, is a pretty good return.  Rondo expires after the season so they could let him walk and have $25m in cap space freed up. 

Then they have Cauley-Stein, Collison, McLemore and Tyrke (from the trade) as a decent core.  To that they can add  3 or 4 quality prospects, sign one or two solid young free agents (e.g. Fournier, Sully) and put themselves in a very strong posiiton moving forward.

Plus, I believe they have the rights to swap picks with Philly in the near future, which only adds to their upside.  Between that Philly pick and the Pelicans pick, they could be very nicely set up.

Pretty good deal really, assuming the Kings are willing to go through a rebuild.  Now (with the rising cap and the opportunity to add free agents cheaply) is probably the best time to attempt a fastrack rebuild.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:38:40 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:51:15 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
That's an incredibly bad trade for Sacramento.  They're giving up the two best players in the trade and are only getting one 1st for it and it is not even the Nets pick.

the nets pick and the pelicans pick are essentially equal right now... note the "pelicans decide to tank" assumption

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:52:28 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

Rondo's on a 1 year deal though... I don't think they're building around him.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Rondo's on a 1 year deal though... I don't think they're building around him.
They're building around Cousins.  If Rondo continues to play like he is, I think there is a good chance he re-signs with the Kings on a multi year deal.  Rudy Gay is one of his best friends. 

If Cousins does go on the market, the Kings are going to get more than just a single 1st rounder. 

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:48:15 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Here's one with Sac/Bos/Philly---

Boston gets Cousins

Philly gets Rudy Gay,
16' Bos 1st

Kings get Embiid, Smart, Olynyk, Lee, Young,
16' Minn 1st, 18' Bos 1st, future Mem 1st

Sac would want to tank here, get rid of both Rudy & Cuz in one fell swoop.   They'd get 3 middling firsts, but also some solid prospects to rebuild with.  Philly finally turns the corner, part with Emidd & some cap space for a solid return that can actually help them win a few games.   We keep the BK picks and dominate the east with IT/AB/Jae/Cuz/Amir.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:02:06 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

the nets pick and the pelicans pick are essentially equal right now... note the "pelicans decide to tank" assumption

It's a contradicting trade. The Kings give up Cousins and Gay and get Evans - an above average player but no more - an expiring deal and a pick, all based on the idea that the Pelicans will be bottom 3. The Pelicans are acquiring Gay so that they will win more games, and giving up their pick - so even if Gay doesn't work out, they have no reason to try to lose games.

Perhaps if we sent out the 2016 BKN 1st to Sacramento, there'd be something to talk about. I'm not sure Danny is willing to part with that pick until he knows where it'll land.

To me, if we're to trade for Cousins, it's much more likely that it occurs in the weeks leading up to the Draft, or on Draft day. The Kings will miss the playoffs again. If Rondo continues his play, they'll be forced to pay him more or else upset Cousins. But they still won't make the playoffs unless Rondo returns to 2011 status - unlikely. Will they commit $15m a year or so to a moody player who isn't good enough to be close to All-Star status but still good enough to earn a fat paycheck? If Rondo clocks out and starts playing worse, the Kings will be even worse than they are now, creating an unstable environment ripe for the type of chaos we need to see Cousins appear on the market. It's a catch 22 for them, and great for us, but only if we're patient. In addition to having greater clarity on where the Kings stand, we'll have much better grasp on the value of our 2016 picks in June.

The most likely scenario? We keep the pick and continue to let the youth movement play out. It's probably not rational; We only have a chance at picking a player that could ever hope to become as potentially dominant as Cousins has become. But I've become obsessed with the youth movement after seeing such immediate success. Bring on Labissiere!

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Boston gets Cousins

Philly gets Rudy Gay,
16' Bos 1st

Sac would want to tank here, get rid of both Rudy & Cuz in one fell swoop.   They'd get 3 middling firsts, but also some solid prospects to rebuild with.  Philly finally turns the corner, part with Emidd & some cap space for a solid return that can actually help them win a few games.   We keep the BK picks and dominate the east with IT/AB/Jae/Cuz/Amir.

Philly wouldnt do this in my opinion. They're getting rid of Embiid, who they tanked an entire season for, and all they're getting back is a mid-round pick and Rudy Gay, who figures to be no part of 76er's future plans.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
"Getting" Rudy Gay isn't an incentive for anyone right now.  He's the most inefficient player in the league and only teams dumb enough to ignore advanced stats on principle would even remotely consider it.  He's exactly the kind of player they don't want, it's why they got rid of MCW.  He just signed a multi year extension too - absolutely no way.  And if getting Cousins meant taking him on, I'd also say no. 

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:38:47 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Boston gets Cousins

Philly gets Rudy Gay,
16' Bos 1st

Rudy Gay isn't going to turn any team's corners.  Certainly not Philly's.  Getting a few wins isn't on Philly's priority list.  Philly is looking for a star to build around and Rudy Gay is certainly not one.  Now Ben Simmons may just be that star so a few additional wins would be counterproductive. 

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 05:50:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand this. Sacramento gives up a young superstar and their second best player for an injured Tyreke and a first rounder that will probably be late lottery?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't understand this

It is callled:  Celticsblog Trade Delusionalphrenia.  it afflicts many here.