Author Topic: Lowe article on Wolves rebuild  (Read 9965 times)

Re: Lowe article on Wolves rebuild
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Man I missed Zach Lowe. It took him long enough to write an article after Grantland died. He seriously has the best NBA mind out there amongst sportswriters.

And I completely agree with him. Minnesota's future is very bright after the disaster that's happened post-KG trade. Towns and Wiggins will be a great combo for years to come (They already look like they're ready to lead this team to a playoff birth), and they've got a great core of young pieces around them with Rubio, Lavine, Bjelca, Muhammad, and Dieng surrounding them. I even love how they brought in KG, Prince, and Miller to help nurture this young talent so that it can hit its full potential, although I am confused as to why KG and Prince are starting when it should be Bjelca and Lavine. Best of all, they are playing with a chip on the shoulder with Flip's unexpected death.

Now granted I'm partially rooting for them so that the Celtics can get another first round pick this year, but I'll always hold a soft spot for the Timberwolves after they gave us KG and Banner 17.

Totally agree here. It's great to see Minny acquire really promising players in droves. They even have the PF from Mighigan State as a potential late bloomer in a couple years of development. It's a very exciting roster, while great vets leading by example. Couldn't be more interesting to keep tabs on.

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 04:49:08 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
"his is what the late Flip Saunders envisioned when he grouped Towns, Wiggins and Zach LaVine in a kind of NBA Big Brother program with Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince and Professor Andre Miller, Ph.D -- ultra-skilled young players learning right away what really matters in basketball.

This is what separates them from the sixers in terms of young talent. They both went all in on the young guys but Philly doesn't seem to care about developing them. Or winning. Or, anything. Do they know they're actually playing basketball?

Wolves doing it right. Didn't understand the KG and Prince signings (even just emotionally for KG) at first but they had a plan all along.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Philly cares very much about developing their players.  Their entire system is built around developing players.  But I'd say you are correct in that they don't care about winning right now.  If all goes as planned, embiid will get healthy and they will have an interesting young core next year of wroten, stauskas, saric, Simmons, Noel, okafor, and possibly three other 1sts (one as high as 4) and whatever other young assets have stood out like grant.  At that point they can maybe fill out the roster with vets using the 70ish million in cap space they have available. 

You can think they suck right now (they do) but philly is a GM's dream.  You don't get any more flexible than that.  They have unlimited assets to do basically anything.  Consider how much we'd have to give up just to get Okafor from them.  They have unlimited options.

Love what Minny is doing as well but Minny doesn't have two of their potentially best assets off the table this year.  They can try to win this year and the only loss will be their draft pick if it ends up 13+.

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think Philly cares very much about developing their players. 

Is that why they shipped out the reigning Rookie of the Year before he completed his second season?  Is there any sign that Noel has improved AT ALL from his rookie year?

Mike

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Is that why they shipped out the reigning Rookie of the Year before he completed his second season?  Is there any sign that Noel has improved AT ALL from his rookie year?

Mike
1 - They traded away the "reigning rookie of the year" because they felt his production outweighed his ability.  They made a highly risky decision to trade him for a pick that could potentially net them someone better down the road.  They obviously didn't like MCW.

2 - If Noel hasn't improved AT ALL from his rookie year, then neither has Marcus Smart.  It's been 10 games.  Noel showed an improved shot during the summer.   More to the point, NOel was significantly better over the second half of last year... Smart was slightly worse.   My guess is both have improved a bit... gotta wait to see how the remaining 70 games of the season go.

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Mike
They shipped out MCW because they decided he wasn't going to be their future PG and they got a very good Lakers 1st pick in return.  MCW was already 23 when he was traded so its not like they traded a youngster with loads of potential.  They could end up with Simmons/Ingram and Murray from this draft.  I'd much rather have Murray than MCW. 

Last year was Noel's rookie year.  His defense is excellent at the 5.  Now he's trying to learn to play the 4 alongside Okafor.  Maybe it will work out.  Maybe it won't.  But it certainly is going to take a lot longer than 12 games to make a determination.  They've got the whole season to work on it.   

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Mike
They shipped out MCW because they decided he wasn't going to be their future PG and they got a very good Lakers 1st pick in return.  MCW was already 23 when he was traded so its not like they traded a youngster with loads of potential.  They could end up with Simmons/Ingram and Murray from this draft.  I'd much rather have Murray than MCW. 

Last year was Noel's rookie year.  His defense is excellent at the 5.  Now he's trying to learn to play the 4 alongside Okafor.  Maybe it will work out.  Maybe it won't.  But it certainly is going to take a lot longer than 12 games to make a determination.  They've got the whole season to work on it.

The report today is that they are switching them back. So maybe it does take 12 games.

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think Philly cares very much about developing their players.  Their entire system is built around developing players.  But I'd say you are correct in that they don't care about winning right now.  If all goes as planned, embiid will get healthy and they will have an interesting young core next year of wroten, stauskas, saric, Simmons, Noel, okafor, and possibly three other 1sts (one as high as 4) and whatever other young assets have stood out like grant.  At that point they can maybe fill out the roster with vets using the 70ish million in cap space they have available. 

You can think they suck right now (they do) but philly is a GM's dream.  You don't get any more flexible than that.  They have unlimited assets to do basically anything.  Consider how much we'd have to give up just to get Okafor from them.  They have unlimited options.

Love what Minny is doing as well but Minny doesn't have two of their potentially best assets off the table this year.  They can try to win this year and the only loss will be their draft pick if it ends up 13+.

You used to rationalize their rebuild by saying their top 2 assets in embiid were worth more than any of the assets the celtics had (talking about embiid and noel). Now embiid is worthless and smart and noel are pretty even.

Even so, taking that logic Minnesotas top two assets (wiggins and towns) are worth more than any of the 76ers assets at this point, plus they have a better team.

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think Embiid might be a lost cause, but is it possible that him coming back and playing productive ball could be good for the Celtics? The Sixers would have to trade one of the Okafor/Noel/Embiid trio if they're all good enough to get big minutes, wouldn't they?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 08:06:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is Russell benefiting from playing with Kobe?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Generally I agree with this. The Embiid situation has obviously been a disappointment for them, but on top of two very very good young players, it's too early to give up on Embiid, and Saric could be here by next year, and could be an All-Star player in the league.

If they get the 1st pick in the draft, and Embiid can prove to be productive (making one of their Cs an excellent trade asset), in a pretty short period of time they're going to get MUCH better.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike
1 - They traded away the "reigning rookie of the year" because they felt his production outweighed his ability.  They made a highly risky decision to trade him for a pick that could potentially net them someone better down the road.  They obviously didn't like MCW.

It's worth pointing out, though, that the fans of Philly's rebuild were calling MCW a possible superstar when he was still on the Sixers. It's esy to get excited about their possibilities, but their dynasty isn't exactly impending.

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Mike

It's worth pointing out, though, that the fans of Philly's rebuild were calling MCW a possible superstar when he was still on the Sixers. It's esy to get excited about their possibilities, but their dynasty isn't exactly impending.

Seems like we could say literally the same exact thing about Marcus Smart.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Mike

It is also worth pointing out that MCW hasn't gotten better playing in Milwaukee.  It appears the Sixers made the right call.  MCW isn't a true PG, but isn't a good enough shooter or driver to overcome his less than traditional PG skills.  He also is turning the ball at a higher rate despite being on a better team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Mike

Seems like we could say literally the same exact thing about Marcus Smart.

Exactly. And it's pretty difficult to argue that MCW was / is as good as hyped, or that trading him was a poor long-term plan for the Sixers. The Bucks, on the other hand, had their heads somewhere dark when they traded Knight for him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)