Author Topic: Lowe article on Wolves rebuild  (Read 9985 times)

Lowe article on Wolves rebuild
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
There is actually some decent content on ESPN at the moment shockingly. They have included a new article from Zach Lowe on the Wolves rebuild. Particularly interesting to me was reading about how how Saunders viewed having the grizzled veterans (prince, garnett and miller) around to teach the youngers. This is obviously the polar opposite of what is happening in Philly, and a pretty interesting point.

"his is what the late Flip Saunders envisioned when he grouped Towns, Wiggins and Zach LaVine in a kind of NBA Big Brother program with Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince and Professor Andre Miller, Ph.D -- ultra-skilled young players learning right away what really matters in basketball. Front-office wonks around the league clucked that the strategy went against Rebuilding 101 in the modern NBA. For bad teams, every roster spot is precious -- a finite chance to find Hassan Whiteside and Robert Covington, or unearth another trade asset. You might be able to "waste" one on a fogey with one foot out of the league. But three? Rivals chuckled.

They're not chuckling now, and some of them are quietly conceding that Saunders might have been on to something with the Geezer Gambit. The Wolves are trying to do things right on both ends, and they were sporting a top-10 defense before another Rubio injury -- and some potent opponents -- plunged them down the rankings."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14149298/the-long-hard-road-redemption-plan-minnesota-starting-make-sense

Re: Lowe article on Wolves rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
They also have Kevin Martin, who'll be 33 in a couple of months and in the twilight of his career.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
One of the most fun teams to watch in the league right now.   Here's hoping they stay competitive all season and dig out of the bottom 12 so we get their 1st rounder.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Certainly seem to be taking a much better approach than that abomination that's currently going on in Philadelphia.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Real Training Camp on NBATV was an awesome watch. It shows just how much a KG means to a team. The way he was teaching the youngsters on rotations and communication was amazing. So underrated to have a vet in the locker room.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Certainly seem to be taking a much better approach than that abomination that's currently going on in Philadelphia.

That's true.

However, could Philly have signed any vets of that same pedigree if they'd wanted to? Seems to me that the reasons KG, Prince, and Miller signed there were because of Flip.

Put differently, is there a current player out there who would agree to mentor the Sixers foundational players if someone from their FO approached them?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Real Training Camp on NBATV was an awesome watch. It shows just how much a KG means to a team. The way he was teaching the youngsters on rotations and communication was amazing. So underrated to have a vet in the locker room.

I think it is a great strategy (although I will admit andre miller seems to be even a bit much). I posted in the other thread that I wonder if Embiid would have been cleaning out the hotel mini-fridge, fighting with training staff or demanding to delay surgery to go to vegas if he had someone like Garnett around. I think Noel is probably a guy that can handle the environment, but I already wonder the impact of Okafor.

With respect to the Wolves, I really think they can sustain their start and be competitive. They have been in most games and competed even with a lot of key injuries.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's true.

However, could Philly have signed any vets of that same pedigree if they'd wanted to? Seems to me that the reasons KG, Prince, and Miller signed there were because of Flip.

Put differently, is there a current player out there who would agree to mentor the Sixers foundational players if someone from their FO approached them?

Has Philly even attempted to bring in any veteran presences besides buyout reasons for the past three seasons?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

That's true.

Has Philly even attempted to bring in any veteran presences besides buyout reasons for the past three seasons?

Mbah a Moute was signed two years ago expressly to mentor Embiid, IIRC.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:01:33 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Man I missed Zach Lowe. It took him long enough to write an article after Grantland died. He seriously has the best NBA mind out there amongst sportswriters.

And I completely agree with him. Minnesota's future is very bright after the disaster that's happened post-KG trade. Towns and Wiggins will be a great combo for years to come (They already look like they're ready to lead this team to a playoff birth), and they've got a great core of young pieces around them with Rubio, Lavine, Bjelca, Muhammad, and Dieng surrounding them. I even love how they brought in KG, Prince, and Miller to help nurture this young talent so that it can hit its full potential, although I am confused as to why KG and Prince are starting when it should be Bjelca and Lavine. Best of all, they are playing with a chip on the shoulder with Flip's unexpected death.

Now granted I'm partially rooting for them so that the Celtics can get another first round pick this year, but I'll always hold a soft spot for the Timberwolves after they gave us KG and Banner 17.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I really enjoy this team and they will be a force in a couple of year..also have Shabazz, Dieng, Nikola, Bjelica...also may get a top 10 pick this year..I see KG as a assistant coach next season to help
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That's true.

He obviously doesn't have the pedigree of someone like Andre Miller or Tayshaun Prince, let alone belonging in the same paragraph as Kevin Garnett. If one of those three guys tells you something it has a lot of credibility beyond it.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Man I missed Zach Lowe. It took him long enough to write an article after Grantland died. He seriously has the best NBA mind out there amongst sportswriters.

And I completely agree with him. Minnesota's future is very bright after the disaster that's happened post-KG trade. Towns and Wiggins will be a great combo for years to come (They already look like they're ready to lead this team to a playoff birth), and they've got a great core of young pieces around them with Rubio, Lavine, Bjelca, Muhammad, and Dieng surrounding them. I even love how they brought in KG, Prince, and Miller to help nurture this young talent so that it can hit its full potential, although I am confused as to why KG and Prince are starting when it should be Bjelca and Lavine. Best of all, they are playing with a chip on the shoulder with Flip's unexpected death.

Now granted I'm partially rooting for them so that the Celtics can get another first round pick this year, but I'll always hold a soft spot for the Timberwolves after they gave us KG and Banner 17.

I think Kevin Garnett really helps get them started defensively and an even keeled started to the game. I do think Prince starting is a lot more questionable.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

I think Kevin Garnett really helps get them started defensively and an even keeled started to the game. I do think Prince starting is a lot more questionable.

Bjelica gives more spacing than KG does (41% from 3), and Towns is already a scary good rim protector (atleast by rookie standards). I guess I can see why they start Garnett, but I don't think it will continue throughout the season as Towns becomes more acclimated.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

That's true.

That's pretty far drop down from KG, Prince, and Miller. I don't think the Sixers could attract those type of guys who could pick any number of situations. I think there's a certain stench attached to the Sixers' situation in the eyes of NBA players, agents, and executives, notwithstanding the Sixers' blindingly bright future. The Sixers can't fail unless there's some standard for failure.

The Wall Street owner's made a fortune off the franchise already thanks to Steve Ballmer paying $2 billion for the Clippers, so he's laughing all the way to the bank while his boy genius continues to move the goalposts further and further into the future. With the cheap salary structure and revenue sharing, the Sixers are likely making an operating profit too. Only the fans of this once proud franchise lose. Tough to believe Sixer fans are still drinking the Hinkie Kool-ade and going along with this clusterF operation.