Would you trade for Harris

Yes.
5 (21.7%)
No.
9 (39.1%)
Would only trade one first for him
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Trade Lee and two firsts for Tobias Harris  (Read 2406 times)

Re: Trade Lee and two firsts for Tobias Harris
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Why would Orlando, who just signed him to a big contract, want to move the guy before they are even able to trade him? If he was so useless why resign him? If they could have gotten a player and a couple of picks in a sign and trade for the guy don't you think they would have done that rather than signing him and then trying to immediately trade the guy?

Harris isn't the answer to the Celtics need of a cornerstone star to help this team take the next step. He just isn't. Makes no sense to send out valuable assets for a guy that would barely move the needle for this team

He can't be sign and traded for 12 months as a restricted free agent.
The reason they signed him is so they can trade him down the road.

I think the only time we should consider making a move for someone like Harris is when we get a Cousins/Love level guy on the roster, and even then there would usually be free agent options (ie Barnes this upcoming offseason).
Problem is if Harris is good enough to be a top 3 player on a championship team, Orlando won't trade him anyway.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why would Orlando, who just signed him to a big contract, want to move the guy before they are even able to trade him? If he was so useless why resign him? If they could have gotten a player and a couple of picks in a sign and trade for the guy don't you think they would have done that rather than signing him and then trying to immediately trade the guy?

Harris isn't the answer to the Celtics need of a cornerstone star to help this team take the next step. He just isn't. Makes no sense to send out valuable assets for a guy that would barely move the needle for this team

I think the only time we should consider making a move for someone like Harris is when we get a Cousins/Love level guy on the roster, and even then there would usually be free agent options (ie Barnes this upcoming offseason).
Problem is if Harris is good enough to be a top 3 player on a championship team, Orlando won't trade him anyway.
When he was a RFA he couldn't have been signed and traded? I thought he could have. If he could have been signed and traded last off season for two picks and a player, don't you think he would have been?

That's the point I am making. If a trade like the OP is suggesting could have been made last summer, it would have been. But it wasn't so I doubt the Magic are going to get that offer for him now and I doubt Ainge would even be offering that, if he wants him, which I don't think he does.

Also, since when does a resign of a RFA always equate to a team resigning him just for the purpose of trading him later just not to lose value. I think we trade happy fans read too much into these things some times. Maybe Harris was resigned because the Magic see him as a valuable future piece and the plan is to hold onto him.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Tobias Harris, but not for two first round picks.  Not when he makes 15 million a year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You've got this wrong.  He can't be traded until January 15th.  If he'd accepted an offer from another team, and the Magic had used their right to keep him, then he couldn't have been traded for a year.  Or if he'd just accepted his qualifying offer, he'd have a no-trade clause.  But since the Magic just signed him themselves, he's treated as a Bird free agent with a large (20% I think is the threshold) raise in his new contract.  This means he can't be traded until January 15th, same as Crowder.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would like Harris - would give our first and our 2nd, but could be convinced to trade the Sixers first. He is paid a bit too much, but with the cap going up, he would be a good player to have and he should still be tradable if things don't totally work out (he is not the crash and burn type player - ie, Josh Smith).

We need to start somewhere and Harris is still young and has great size at SF - other than Lee, who else would we need to send? Maybe Turner or Young?

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If Harris can be traded for two of our nonBrooklyn firsts + matching salaries, why not? You're basically going to wind up with two Rozier quality prospects if you keep the picks. On top of that why not offer Philly the Brooklyn pick + matching salaries for Noel and go compete for the Eastern Conference title instead of drafting an NFL team's worth of teenagers who will be ready to possibly compete in two or three years, if they are even any good. Not to mention the idea that you become an incredibly attractive landing spot for a big time free agent at the end of the season and we will have the cap space.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Yes, I would like this, provided the 1sts are something like our 1st this year and our 2018 1st protected top 10.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I would trade Evan Turner and David Lee and the Minny Pick for him.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons