Author Topic: Celtics (4-4) at Thunder (6-3) Game #9 11/15/15  (Read 26226 times)

Celtics (4-4) at Thunder (6-3) Game #9 11/15/15
« on: November 14, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Boston Celtics (4-4) at Oklahoma City Thunder (6-3)
Sunday, November 15, 2015
7:00 PM ET
Game #9, Road Game #3
TV: CSNNE, FSOK, NBA-LP 758(DTV)/757(Xfinity)
Radio: WZLX 100.7, WWLS 98.1 FM
Chesapeake Energy Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs Russell Westbrook

Shooting Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Anthony Morrow

Small Forward

vs
Jae Crowder vs Andre Roberson 

Power Forward
vs
Amir Johnson vs Serge Ibaka

Center
vs
Jared Sullinger vs Steven Adams

Celtics Reserves
Evan Turner
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
David Lee
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Tyler Zeller
Kelly Olynyk

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Avery Bradley (leg) day to day

Thunder Reserves
DJ Augustin
Nick Collison
Josh Huestis
Mitch McGary
Enes Kanter
Steve Novak
Kyle Singler
Cameron Payne
Dion Waiters

Head Coach
Billy Donovan

Injuries

Kevin Durant (hamstring) out

Game Notes
The Celtics hit the road for their first trip out west and their first of two meetings with the Oklahoma City Thunder.  The Celtics get lucky that the Thunder's star Kevin Durant is out with a hamstring injury.  But then again, both Durant and Ibaka missed their final meeting last season and the Thunder still won it, ending the Celtics' 5 game win streak. 

The Thunder are the Celtics' toughest test yet.  They have a tough starting 5, even without Kevin Durant.  Russell Westbrook has posted 3 consecutive triple doubles.  And the Thunder are on a 3 game win streak.   They won their first three games, lost the next three games and now have won their last 3 games. 

Avery Bradley has missed the last two games for the Celtics with a calf injury.  He is listed at day to day but hoping to return for this game.  Both teams have a young head coach brought to the NBA out of college.  Brad Stevens has already made an impression on the NBA while Billy Donovan is just getting started and hoping to have the type of impact that Stevens has. 

Both teams are playing in the first of back to back games.  The Thunder will travel to Memphis for a Monday night game vs the Grizzlies while the Celtics head to Houston for a game against the Rockets. 

Key Matchups
Key Matchups
vs
Marcus Smart vs Russell Westbrook
Russell Westbrook has been a one man wrecking crew this season.  With Durant out, he is taking on more of the load for OKC.  He is averaging 25.2 points, 8.6 rebounds, and 10.9 assists and is coming off of his second straight triple double. 

vs
Amir Johnson vs Serge Ibaka
Serge Ibaka is always a tough matchup.  He is averaging 13.2 points, 8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks.  He is always a threat to block shots and can score easily at the rim.  He is also a threat from the outside.  Amir Johnson is coming off his best game as a Celtic and they will need him to step up again in this game.

Honorable Mention
Jared Sullinger vs Steven Adams
Adams is a load inside and has height on Sully.  Adams is averaging 6.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks.  Sully needs to his his outside shots to draw Stevens away from the paint. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound
- The Thunder lead the league in rebounding with 50.8 per game.  Their big front line of Ibaka and Adams (with Kanter off the bench) make it difficult for opposing teams to grab rebounds. The Thunder are 6-1 when they out-rebound their opponents.  The Celtics need to put the same grit and hustle on the boards in this game as they did against the Hawks.   

Defense - Defense is always a key to winning.  The Celtics will need to defend the perimeter as well as the inside because they have players who can score both inside and out.  The Thunder are 2nd in the league in scoring at 113.3 points per game.  They are 2nd in 3 pt% at 39.4% and 3rd in FG%at 47.7%.  If the Celtics allow them to shoot like that, then they will have a tough time getting a win.   If there is one area where the Thunder are vulnerable it is in turnovers.  They are 4th in the league with 17.0 turnovers per game.  If the Celtics can force the Thunder to turn the ball over, they may turn to easy baskets. 

Pace and Space - The Celtics need to set the pace and continue to run and to move the ball. When they slow down, they aren't near as effective as when they are running on every possession.  They need to move the ball and find the open man.  The Thunder like to run and the Celtics will need to match their energy and run as well. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics have had periods where they get careless and turn the ball over way too much.  They are 9th in the league in turnovers at 15.9 per game.   If they turn it over against the Thunder, they will make them pay. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics have to be aggressive and fight for loose balls, 50/50 balls, rebounds, and be aggressive on defense and in going to the hoop.  They have to be the more aggressive team and the one that wants it more.  They were the more aggressive team against the Hawks and that worked out well.  They have to bring that same hustle vs the Thunder.

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics are on the road and the Chesapeake Energy Arena is one of the toughest places to play.  Their fans are loud and make it tough for teams coming there.  The Celtics got a tough win on the road in Milwaukee.  Can they get another one here? 

Focus on Offense - When the Celtics are hitting their shots, they can compete with anyone.  But when they struggle,  they can't throw it in the ocean.  Hopefully they bring their focus and hit their shots in this game. 

Re: Celtics (4-4) at Thunder (6-3) Game #9 11/15/15
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
This is going to be a tough one, but without KD, OKC might be beatable.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Should be an interesting game! Hopefully the refs don't give Westbrook the star calls with Smart and Bradley's physical defense. It'd be a nice game to steal, and I fully expect Smart to have another big game going home like he did last year in OKC.

TP for the thread!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to max215 for being the first to post in the game thread.

Go Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Can't recall the last time Celtics beat the Thunder ...LOL.....seems like ages....ugh.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I really like this team when they win... and can't stand 'em when they lose.

I know that's kind of a "no duh" thing to say, but every time they win it seems like a major accomplishment because the team is a bunch of role players. and every time they lose i'm reminded of the lack of star power.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
at work. will be peaking at the game and posting as much as i can, but mostly ill be relying on you folks' game comments to learn how my C's are doing. It's better than the gameflow. LETS GO CS
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Just saw Westbrook being interviewed, I would love to see him held down. Come on guy's steal this one. 

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
sully battling
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sully with a beautiful pass to Amir, then crashes the boards hard.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really hate Thomas tasked for the out of bounce entry.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
woot it444444444 and sully
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
smahttttttttttttttttttt

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
it4444444444444444444444444444444444444