Author Topic: Why not over pay for DMC and Rondo?  (Read 1933 times)

Re: Why not over pay for DMC and Rondo?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
what if we knew RR would be ok with a smaller contract and ok with coming off the bench if thats what CBS wanted? I feel like you guys are only looking at the Rondo that was just off injury on a team that was losing (or 3 teams that were.) I'm not saying we have to have the Rondo show. I'm saying at some point he might be under valued enough that it makes sense for us.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
what if we knew RR would be ok with a smaller contract and ok with coming off the bench if thats what CBS wanted? I feel like you guys are only looking at the Rondo that was just off injury on a team that was losing (or 3 teams that were.) I'm not saying we have to have the Rondo show. I'm saying at some point he might be under valued enough that it makes sense for us.
Getting Rondo but not wanting the Rondo show is a terrible idea.  That's exactly what happened with Dallas last year.  I'd love to get Rondo and DMC in a reasonable trade but only if CBS is willing to adjust the offensive to take advantage of their strengths rather than force fitting them into his system. 

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Getting Rondo but not wanting the Rondo show is a terrible idea.  That's exactly what happened with Dallas last year.  I'd love to get Rondo and DMC in a reasonable trade but only if CBS is willing to adjust the offensive to take advantage of their strengths rather than force fitting them into his system.

thats a good point. but I guess it would be the DMC show. Alos it was never the rondo show when we had the big 3 or big 2 after Allen mad a bad decision.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
i'd rather just overpay for DMC cause I don't think there is any realistic way we are getting them both, let alone one of them.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I put it at <20 percent chance the Kings trade DMC this season but if they do, why keep RR? He is a FA after the season and they knd of suck now so why would he stay if they subtracted their best player? Why would they want a vet then? Heck I'd want to take Gay too if I didn't think Crowder was the real deal.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I put it at <20 percent chance the Kings trade DMC this season but if they do, why keep RR? He is a FA after the season and they knd of suck now so why would he stay if they subtracted their best player? Why would they want a vet then? Heck I'd want to take Gay too if I didn't think Crowder was the real deal.

I agree with you that it might not make very much sense.  Rondo needs to spend his time feeding a dominant scorer, ideally a big man.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Karl liked the idea of surrounding Rondo with skilled, quick role players and trying to recreate the magic of his up-tempo fast-breaking teams.

The Celts tried that, of course, and it didn't work all that well.  It's nice in theory but Rondo spent his formative years thriving by feeding dominant, skilled scorers. 

If the Kings trade Cousins they should look into trading Rondo and filler for Derrick Rose.  That could work for both sides.  Especially if the Bulls then went and traded for Carmelo.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
No.

I wish there was a rule that a posters reply had to be longer than the picture they post under the reply.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No.

I wish there was a rule that a posters reply had to be longer than the picture they post under the reply.

Sometimes a picture is actually the most articulate response you can give, though.

Like, I know it can seem obnoxious, but there are times when I read a post and the first thing that comes to mind to express my exact reaction is a picture.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This is all very hypothetical but I would ask the question a little differently.  To me it is more like if we had a chance to get Cousins but it meant we had to take Rondo too, would it still be a good deal?

Cousins is a risk due to his volatility but a risk I would take for a fair deal.  I am not sure exactly how to interpret "overpay" but it does not seem like something I would want to do even for Cousins.

Rondo is a different story.  I don't think he is that good, or at least not nearly as good as he thinks he is which is a problem.   I would not overpay to end up with both.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:43:41 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
definitely no on Rondo.

Cousins needs a lobotomy. Even if he is extremely talented.