Author Topic: Why not over pay for DMC and Rondo?  (Read 1928 times)

Why not over pay for DMC and Rondo?
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
*If you haven't watched the games please don't reply.

A lot of things going on here so I'm sure I will ramble.

Basically my idea is we trade as many picks as it takes plus any of: Lee, Sully, Zeller, Turner, Rozier and get back Rondo and DMC.

We would have a lot of top notch guys. a top notch go to guy in DMC, a top notch D guy in Crowder, a top notch passer in RR and a top notch 6th man in IT. Plus a lot of great glue guys.

I would over pay in a trade like this if we had to because I think we could win the title this year.

A few other points:
1. If we trade for DMC we might as well trade for Rondo as they will not get better and RR will probably leave them anyways.
2. Sully is playing great. I'm happy for him. I still would rather trade him and his recent great play has only raised his trade value.
3. Probably not going to resign Zeller so might as well trade him too.
4. Getting RR back would make Turner expendable and we'd have the scoring with DMC.

So.. obviously I would low ball first, but I would trade ALL of our picks o make this happen(and yes I do realize you have to keep one every other year but you get the point)

Thoughts?

Re: Why not over pay for DMC and Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
uh no. I don't want Rondo anywhere near this team.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is not an overpay. In any case, Kings would be crazy to trade DMC. 

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Basically my idea is we trade as many picks as it takes plus any of: Lee, Sully, Zeller, Turner, Rozier and get back Rondo and DMC.

We would have a lot of top notch guys. a top notch go to guy in DMC, a top notch D guy in Crowder, a top notch passer in RR and a top notch 6th man in IT. Plus a lot of great glue guys.

I would over pay in a trade like this if we had to because I think we could win the title this year.

A few other points:
1. If we trade for DMC we might as well trade for Rondo as they will not get better and RR will probably leave them anyways.
2. Sully is playing great. I'm happy for him. I still would rather trade him and his recent great play has only raised his trade value.
4. Getting RR back would make Turner expendable and we'd have the scoring with DMC.

So.. obviously I would low ball first, but I would trade ALL of our picks o make this happen(and yes I do realize you have to keep one every other year but you get the point)

Thoughts?

Zero interest in EVER seeing the obsession of some CelticsBlog posters fed again.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not interested in an overpay & emptying out the cupboard for these two.

Could even prove to be a "one step forward, two steps back" situation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
wow!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

A few other points:

Thoughts?

Zero interest in EVER seeing the obsession of some CelticsBlog posters fed again.

You're a real jerk coach Bo!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rondo is his OWN man and player .  He does not play ball movement style basketball.  He like to access the situation and make it up as he goes.  And this works fine with a bunch of old slow players grinding it out . 

Rondo can't play in a fast passing game , where there is a actual constructed play....given by the coach ......Rondo calls his on plays ......thus the pounding the ball as he decides what to do next.

Coaches like CBS and Carlisle call much for the plays .   That runs contrary to Rondos style play.

Rondo needs the ball in his hands to control the game.   CBS doesn't want the ball stopping at one player .  He wants it moving side to side , with players who have quick release for the best open look .

Rondo plays great Rondo ball.   I ve watch his game.  But it doesn't belong on the CBS young Celtics team.  Stevens ,   Don't want guys standing around , especially young ones like on Boston watching Rondo , waiting for him to do something.  That was fine with old slow Allen, KG and Pierce.....and Doc  :angel:

Do 't want him back as a player ....his game runs contrary to the present Celtics game.  I think Rondo will be a good coach tho.

I watched the game last night , and he is play n his way , the coach is just watching .  They are winging it .  Right now Karl just wants to win to save his job .   If Rondo can do that ....I'm sure Rondo can win some games for them in that mannor.   

YES to DMC

NO to Rondo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you were legitimately willing to overpay, you'd make anyone on the roster fair game to be included.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't want to overpay for any player.  Overpaying in trades is not a successful way to build a basketball team.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Rondo is his OWN man and player .  He does not play ball movement style basketball.  He like to access the situation and make it up as he goes.  And this works fine with a bunch of old slow players grinding it out . 

Rondo can't play in a fast passing game , where there is a actual constructed play....given by the coach ......Rondo calls his on plays ......thus the pounding the ball as he decides what to do next.

Coaches like CBS and Carlisle call much for the plays .   That runs contrary to Rondos style play.

Rondo needs the ball in his hands to control the game.   CBS doesn't want the ball stopping at one player .  He wants it moving side to side , with players who have quick release for the best open look .

Rondo plays great Rondo ball.   I ve watch his game.  But it doesn't belong on the CBS young Celtics team.  Stevens ,   Don't want guys standing around , especially young ones like on Boston watching Rondo , waiting for him to do something.  That was fine with old slow Allen, KG and Pierce.....and Doc  :angel:

Do 't want him back as a player ....his game runs contrary to the present Celtics game.  I think Rondo will be a good coach tho.

I watched the game last night , and he is play n his way , the coach is just watching .  They are winging it .  Right now Karl just wants to win to save his job .   If Rondo can do that ....I'm sure Rondo can win some games for them in that mannor.   

YES to DMC

NO to Rondo

thanks for the well thought out post. I can respect disagreement when it's backed up- or at least not an attempt at a witty 1 liner.

one question, kind of an aside, is CBS calling that many plays? I live abroad now so i can't go to the games but it seems like we are making a lot of decisions on the fly and it's working. Maybe CBS is calling everything out but thats not the impression i have gotten.

Also, if we could get DMC, we would be in win ow mode. I know Cuz is young but I think we would be cloer to the big 3 celts than the current team.

IF sac was going to trade us DMC and then valued RR very low, what would you pay extra to get him? My point is that he might become a throw in if they were already going to trade DMC.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If you were legitimately willing to overpay, you'd make anyone on the roster fair game to be included.

Good point. I really like Crowder Smart and to a lesser extent AB. Oh yeah and IT. I'd rather keep those guys and trade more picks than trade them and trade less picks.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nooooo.

Nooope.

No way.

Nein.

Nyet.

I invite other people to add other ways to respond in the negative.

Rondo is gone.  Let him stay gone.  Let him play somewhere else.  I do not want to have him on my team anywhere.  I'm happy that the Rondo show is taking place on another team.

Thank you.

As for Cousins, I'd love to have him, but they're building a new arena out there in Sacramento.  I really don't think they're trading DMC until they've got the arena built, at a minimum.  Especially not if the keep winning games occasionally.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Rondo's a great passer, but he's an awful offensive player for his position, forcing the team to play 4 on 5.  On defense he's just a ballhawk who doesn't actually defend.

He looks better in Sacramento because he has there what he didn't have on the Celtics anymore -- a dominant big man and a talented wing scorer to feed.

We've gone over all of this before!   Let's not do it again.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
DMC is a plus while Rondo is a minus
so NO