Author Topic: 2016 Prospects Watch  (Read 12544 times)

Re: 2016 Prospects Watch
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
some good TV games tonight

1/4/16

UNC vs Florida st 7:00 ESPN

This game has alot of potential NBA players and should give guys on both sides a good test vs NBA level athletes. Brice Johnson vs the massive size of Florida should be interesting as they may force him to have to play more outside then he typically does on offense. The best match-ups of the game will likely be senior G Paige vs fresh SG Beasley and soph SF Jackson vs fresh SF Bacon. This will particularly be interesting in that Jackson and Bacon are similar level prospects and this match up may be a key reference point come draft time.

Oklahoma vs Kansas 9:00 ESPN

This is another game featuring multiple NBA level prospects. OK features guards Hield and Cousins along with big man Ryan Spangler. Out of that group Hield should be a late first while the others will fight to go in the secon. KU is lead my JR guard Wayne Selden and PF Perry Ellis. Selden I could see cracking the first round while Ellis will find it hard to fit in the NBA but is skilled enough to work his way onto a team. KU also has two under performing but highly rearguard prospects in athletic freshman big cheick diallo and soph wing Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. To me the matchup to watch in this game will be Selden vs Hield. Like the Bacon vs Jackson matchup these players are similarly ranked and play the same position making the matchup very interesting for their NBA futures.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
some good TV games tonight

1/4/16

UNC vs Florida st 7:00 ESPN

This game has alot of potential NBA players and should give guys on both sides a good test vs NBA level athletes. Brice Johnson vs the massive size of Florida should be interesting as they may force him to have to play more outside then he typically does on offense. The best match-ups of the game will likely be senior G Paige vs fresh SG Beasley and soph SF Jackson vs fresh SF Bacon. This will particularly be interesting in that Jackson and Bacon are similar level prospects and this match up may be a key reference point come draft time.

Oklahoma vs Kansas 9:00 ESPN

This is another game featuring multiple NBA level prospects. OK features guards Hield and Cousins along with big man Ryan Spangler. Out of that group Hield should be a late first while the others will fight to go in the secon. KU is lead my JR guard Wayne Selden and PF Perry Ellis. Selden I could see cracking the first round while Ellis will find it hard to fit in the NBA but is skilled enough to work his way onto a team. KU also has two under performing but highly rearguard prospects in athletic freshman big cheick diallo and soph wing Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. To me the matchup to watch in this game will be Selden vs Hield. Like the Bacon vs Jackson matchup these players are similarly ranked and play the same position making the matchup very interesting for their NBA futures.   

Few observations from the games

UNC vs Florida st

Brice Johnson was unreal.. I came away very impressed with how quick and explosive he was around the hoop. This game really changed my view of him as a prospect. Going into the game I was thinking JJJ level late first early 2nd big man who would carve out a spot as a back up NBA big with a ceiling towards Brandon wright. Now I'm leaning more towards a post lottery big who has a solid shot at starting in the NBA as a Faried/Thompson type hustle big man.

Bacon started out slow and showed some immaturity in his game however he can clearly get to the hoop and finish through contact two skills that are huge for NBA perimeter players.

Oklahoma vs KU

Sadly I was not able to stay up for this one but the little I saw its clear that Hield is going to be a player in the NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
1/5/16

Wisconsin vs Indiana 7:00 ESPN

Players to watch Wisc 4/3 Nigel Hayes projects as a potential Draymond Green Light PF in NBA. For Indy freshman big man Thomas Bryant has a great physical profile for an NBA 4/5 standing 6'10 with a solid 240lbs frame and a crazy 7'5.5" wingspan. From the games ive seen his biggest issue is playing with guards who are unwilling to feed the post.

UK vs LSU 9:00 ESPN

Simmons vs the athletes of Kentucky will be great to watch. I am particularly interested to see Simmons guarded by Poythress. While not the athlete of Simmons Pothress has prototypical size for an NBA big 3 face up 4. Aside from that matchup UK has great athletes at the 4/5 with Skal and Lee to contest at the rim and make things hard for Simmons. This will be a game where Simmons LSU teammates wil have to step up if they want to win.

Also interesting matchup for those who get FS1

Marquette vs Providence 7:00 on FS1

Lottery picks Henrey Ellenson for marq and Dunn for Proidence. Ellenson vs solid prov bigman Ben Bentil should be a good one.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The Oklahoma-KU game was unreal. It was one of those games that you wish went into nine or ten overtimes because you didn't want either team to lose.

Three nights ago, had you asked me what a Buddy Hield was, I probably would have said, well, actually, I have no idea what I would have said. That kid was unreal last night. Shot after shot after shot.

If there is somebody who knows this kid (I've seen a few mock drafts with us picking him around 20.) could write something intelligent about him, I'd really appreciate it.

Mike

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The Oklahoma-KU game was unreal. It was one of those games that you wish went into nine or ten overtimes because you didn't want either team to lose.

Three nights ago, had you asked me what a Buddy Hield was, I probably would have said, well, actually, I have no idea what I would have said. That kid was unreal last night. Shot after shot after shot.

If there is somebody who knows this kid (I've seen a few mock drafts with us picking him around 20.) could write something intelligent about him, I'd really appreciate it.

Mike

He was discussed in depth in the most recent Real GM podcast. From what I remember, he's a really good player who has improved greatly every year, obsessive work ethic, and has the upside to be a pretty decent starter eventually.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Providence vs. Marquette is on right now. Ellenson and Dunn may both go in the range of the Nets Pick.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

He was discussed in depth in the most recent Real GM podcast. From what I remember, he's a really good player who has improved greatly every year, obsessive work ethic, and has the upside to be a pretty decent starter eventually.

TP, thank you. All qualities I want in a player. The obsessive work ethic overcomes a lot of basketball sins.

Mike

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Mike

TP, thank you. All qualities I want in a player. The obsessive work ethic overcomes a lot of basketball sins.

Mike

Early in his college career he would spend so much time in the gym that the team physically had to lock up the balls to get him to leave.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Providence vs. Marquette is on right now. Ellenson and Dunn may both go in the range of the Nets Pick.

;D......hope Lakers and Philly keep winning and Nets loose a lot.

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

;D......hope Lakers and Philly keep winning and Nets loose a lot.

Id rather Lakers not win too much because if they up out of the bottom 3 the pick is transferred to Philly. This draft seems like top 2 are franchise guys and then the rest hopefully Lakers sit just at 3 lol

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Watched the second half of KU/LSU last night.  Simmons was relatively quiet until the last few minutes.  Didn't try to force anything, was getting doubled in the post a lot.  Had success putting the ball on the floor and getting to the line.  He has a good stroke from the line which leads me to think he can develop a decent perimeter game.

Quarterman from LSU had a great game.  He's 6'6 ish, fast and athletic, good passer and was making shots last night.  Looking at his stats makes you think this game might have been an outlier, but the potential is obviously there.  He was the best player on the floor.

Murray was the best player for KU.  Doesn't seem that athletic, but he's a smooth scorer.  Skal was totally lost and needs to stay in school another year at least.

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
I really liked what I saw of Hield against Kansas.  I think he'd be a great mid first pick up.  Good athlete and can really shoot.  Selden is similar, a little bigger but not as quick or as good a ball handler.  Selden fits the prototypical 3 and D wing profile, while Hield is more of a combo guard.

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Skal looked so lost out there.

Mike

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:14 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
When a guy as solid as Jamal Murray starts to slide down due to teams going for the gold he starts to take on sleeper status.  Admittedly in this case, pretty high profile sleeper status.