Author Topic: 2016 Prospects Watch  (Read 12632 times)

Re: 2016 Prospects Watch
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 01:44:27 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Grayson Allen has been super impressive. He's had games of 26, 28, 6 (vs Kentucky), 30 and 32 points. Do you guys think he has the potential to be a go-to scorer in the NBA?

No. You could see against Kentucky (NBA level talent) Grayson could not create or finish against superior length or athleticism. He could be a bench player who provides spot up shooting though.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 02:25:01 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If Philly gets the #1 pick, does Simmons declare for the Draft?

Doubt it. He'd be able to team up with some of the best young talent in the league and don't sleep on Dario Saric coming over next year. High talent euro prospects have been finding success lately.

And who knows about Embiid? An Embiid/Okafor/Simmons front court could be among the best in the league. Embiid really could be the next Hakeem-like(Olajuwanian?) natural footwork player.

With Curry emerging as a potentially generational talent it'd be great for the game to have a great to have a strong center to anchor the east. Be a good rival for Drummond too.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:02:28 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm watching LSU/Marquette on ESPN 2.  Simmons had a quiet first half, but he still has 8 points on 3-5 shooting, 7 boards, and 4 assists.  He clearly doesn't want to take outside shots and defenders are backing off him.  His passing and ball handling are legit.  On Marquette, Ellenson is a nice looking prospect on Marquette.

I'm really just posting this to give people a heads up the game is on.

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I may be wrong about this, but isn't the Lottery wayyy after the deadline for players to enter their names into consideration for the NBA Draft?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

I may be wrong about this, but isn't the Lottery wayyy after the deadline for players to enter their names into consideration for the NBA Draft?

Youre right
But he could withdraw leading up to the deadline to withdraw
If he thinks the 76ers will get the no 1 pick

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Youre right
But he could withdraw leading up to the deadline to withdraw
If he thinks the 76ers will get the no 1 pick
Even if he knew for certain that the Sixers would have the #1 pick, there's a snowball's chance in hell that he's not coming out after this season (barring injury of course). 

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I havent had the time to really stay up on this thread but I wanted to post a nice game to watch tonight.

Tue Dec 22

9:00 ESPN2

Cal vs Virginia

This will be the first chance I have seen to watch potentially lottery bound freshman SF Jaylen Brown and PF Ivan Rabb. Brown should have a nice match up with potential first round pick Virginia SG  Malcolm Brogdon.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I havent had the time to really stay up on this thread but I wanted to post a nice game to watch tonight.

Tue Dec 22

Cal vs Virginia

This will be the first chance I have seen to watch potentially lottery bound freshman SF Jaylen Brown and PF Ivan Rabb. Brown should have a nice match up with potential first round pick Virginia SG  Malcolm Brogdon.

Thanks for the heads up CFAN. TP for you.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 06:33:51 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
TP - Thanks.  I've been wanting to get a look at Cal.  Haven't seen anything from Brown since some of his HS games LY.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Tue Dec 22

Cal vs Virginia

Observations from watching the game...

Granted this is only one game and these Cal players are really young

Jaylen Brown, 31min 18pts 5-11FG 0-3 3PT 6RB 4TO. His stat line isn't bad but he definitely showed some major peaks and valleys in his game.
His strengths are clearly his physical strength, explosiveness, and ability to get the the hoop.
His weaknesses clearly not comfortable shooting the ball outside, seems to lack defensive awareness, over dribbles in isolation.

I came away less then impressed with Brown while I was expecting to see a Winlow/Kid-gillcrest he instead reminded me more of our own J Young. Like Young he can be very impressive on offense though young and brown have different strengths. However the negative is clearly the defense. At one point late in the game Cal even pulled an offense/defense sub and took Brown out. A telling sign for such an elite prospect. 

Ivan Rabb , 42min 9pts 4-6FG 12RB 2ast 4TO. Statistically he came just short on a double double though it took over 40min. I was surprised by his lack of BLKS and Stls.
His strengths his rebounding specifically his Sully like ability to pull the ball down in traffic do to great hands, his length, his mobility, and appears very vocal on the court
His weaknesses his lack of bulk/strength, lack of go to offense, aside from passing seems limited in the face up game.

Rabb impressed me but not at all how I expected. I had this vision of Rabb being a multi dimension modern bid man. Instead he is a very blue collar player reminding me alot of Brandon Wright. While very skinny and physically outmatched in the pain he consistently came down with big rebounds and really seems to have a nack for getting his hands on the ball. He is a very fundamental rebounder and looked great boxing out. I was also very impressed with how vocal he was on the court. A few times I noticed him directing players where to be on offense, not something I would expect out of an 18yr old big man. He clearly has alot to work on but I really like the foundation he has as a prospect.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Jaylen Brown = Corey Maggette ??

Top notch athlete and slasher. Terrific at getting to the rim and the FT line.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I didn't have a chance to post this ahead of time but last night I watched Oakland vs Virginia

I have watch Virginia before and no one really jumps out at me obviously Brogdon is their best player and he should spend some time in the league but he doesn't really stand out to me.

This was my first time watching Oakland  and I was super impressed with Kahil Felde. Granted he is a small guard in the IT mold but he may be the best guard i've watch all season.

Current stats

37mpg 26.8pts .44%FG .39%3PT on 6.3 attempts .85FT% on 9.5 attempts 4.3rb 8.8ast 2.2stl

He is doing this not just against lower level college talent. He had 37pts vs Michigan St, 30pts vs Virginia and 38Pts vs Washington. He is currently a JR and im not sure if he will declare at the end of the season but aided by the success of IT I really think this kid will be a 1st round pick and successful NBA player.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:19:33 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I didn't have a chance to post this ahead of time but last night I watched Oakland vs Virginia

I have watch Virginia before and no one really jumps out at me obviously Brogdon is their best player and he should spend some time in the league but he doesn't really stand out to me.

This was my first time watching Oakland  and I was super impressed with Kahil Felde. Granted he is a small guard in the IT mold but he may be the best guard i've watch all season.

Current stats

37mpg 26.8pts .44%FG .39%3PT on 6.3 attempts .85FT% on 9.5 attempts 4.3rb 8.8ast 2.2stl

He is doing this not just against lower level college talent. He had 37pts vs Michigan St, 30pts vs Virginia and 38Pts vs Washington. He is currently a JR and im not sure if he will declare at the end of the season but aided by the success of IT I really think this kid will be a 1st round pick and successful NBA player.
I like Felder too.  However he is listed as 5'9".  He also doesn't seem to be nearly as quick as IT.  I can't see his ceiling being more than a backup PG.  I'd use a 2nd on him but not a 1st.   

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Current stats

I like Felder too.  However he is listed as 5'9".  He also doesn't seem to be nearly as quick as IT.  I can't see his ceiling being more than a backup PG.  I'd use a 2nd on him but not a 1st.

With IT on the roster I would not use a Celtics 1st on him however if I was a team in the 20-30 range I would not hesitate to draft him. I will agree with you that his ceiling is probably that of a backup guard but really that is also true for IT who is best used off the bench. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 10:10:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I did some searching the internet and found the below link to follow Dragan Benders box scores. His coach (former C Zan Tabak) appears to have a short leash with Bender. After 3 solid games he only played 4 minutes in his last game presumably because of his 2 TO and 1 foul in those 4 min.

http://www.maccabi.co.il/season.asp?cYear=2016&lang=en

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet