Author Topic: 2016 Prospects Watch  (Read 12641 times)

2016 Prospects Watch
« on: November 14, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Last night College Basketball Tipped off. The night yielded very few intriguing pro prospect match-ups but it did give us a first look at this years freshman. From the games I was personally able to watch Ben Simmons looked very smooth against a physically over matched moorhead state and Brandon Ingram looked the part of a high ceiling SF prospect despite shooting 1-9 from 3.

Looking ahead this up coming week should yield a few nice matchups of teams featuring 2016 potential 1st round picks. Here is a list of games of note in the first half of the week.

Monday 11/16

San Diego St vs Utah 9:30 ESPN2,    C  Poeltl vs SF  Pope.
This will be interesting to see if Utah is able to feed the big man vs the long and athletic SDS

Tue 11/17

Duke vs UK 7:30 ESPN, SG Allen, SF Ingram vs PG Murrray, PF Labissiere
This is a great early match up both rosters feature a number of players with NBA potential the four listed above are 1st round locks already.

Tue 11/17

Georgetown vs Maryland 9:00 ESPN2, SF Layman, C STone, PG Trimble
I admit I know very little about the georgetown roster but they look to have plentyl of size to challenge the very talented Maryland front court

Tue 11/17

Mich ST vs Kansas 10:00 ESPN, SG Valentine vs C Diallo (if eligible), SG Mykhaiiuk

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2016 Prospects Watch
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm really excited about Brandon Ingram. I think he has a chance to be even better than Jabari Parker.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cheick Diallo didn't play in Kansas' opener and the NCAA has given no time table for a decision on his eligibility while they investigate his grades from a New York private school.

It's a shame because he tore up the McDonalds all American game this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EONSbPVacCw

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Cheick Diallo didn't play in Kansas' opener and the NCAA has given no time table for a decision on his eligibility while they investigate his grades from a New York private school.

I'm actually more excited to see guys like him than I am someone like Ben Simmons. We're likely to end up with a pick in that 9-13 spot and I know very little about those guys.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I'm actually more excited to see guys like him than I am someone like Ben Simmons. We're likely to end up with a pick in that 9-13 spot and I know very little about those guys.

Mike

Do you mean our own pick will end up 9-13? Because the Nets pick is fully on track to end up 1-5.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

Mike

Do you mean our own pick will end up 9-13? Because the Nets pick is fully on track to end up 1-5.

Sorry, I forgot how many potential picks we have. I was thinking Dallas.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Mon Nov 23

Marquette vs LSU 7:00 ESPN2

Marquette isn't playing well having just lost to a senior filled Iowa team 89-61 but they do represent an early test for the Simmons lead LSU team. Where LSU's first three games came against mid major teams who have no rotational players over 6'9 and where undersized by NBA standards at every position. In NBA eyes Marquette's roster is highlighted by likely lottery pick freshman PF/C Henry Ellenson. He is 6'10+ with a 7'1 wingspan. The rest of their primary rotation is there 6'11 center, 3 wings in the 6'5-6'6 range and their 6'2" PG. It will be very interesting to see how Simmons plays going up against NBA like size particularly on the glass and finishing at the rim. The Ellenson vs Simmons match-up will be a great early scouting image of how each will fair against a follow pro prospect.  Here is to hoping both coaches implore some man to man defense.     

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Here's a good write up of the top 20 freshman by NBA Draft Net.

http://www.nbadraft.net/top-20-freshmen-prospects

1. Ben Simmons 6-10 240 SF/PF LSU

Ben Simmons
Ben Simmons
While a number of prospects have received the moniker "best since LeBron James", none seem to replicate his skill package as closely as this Australian prodigy. With legitimate PF size (a 8’11 standing reach at adidas Nations, while measuring a shade beneath 6’10), he also brings the grace to push the break off of the dribble with court vision and passing ability that make him incredibly unique. He changes the game with his versatility and should fill up the stat sheet as much as any freshman in recent memory.

He may not be the super hero athlete that his reported LSU combine numbers made him out to be, though he certainly has speed and agility that should allow him to dominate the college level. What truly makes Simmons a potentially special prospect is his ability to get his teammates involved. He is constantly looking to get others involved. almost to a fault. His main area in need of improvement is his long range shooting, as improvement here could make him that much more of a threat in half court sets.

Simmons has an NBA ready body, is incredibly comfortable with the ball in his hands, even showing signs of being ambidextrous, giving him game changing potential. He is beyond his years in his feel for the game and has an innate ability to make those around him better. His impact at the college level will be and as he proved in 1-1 battles (at Nike Academy) against some of the NBA's top talents (Harden and Anthony Davis) he has the necessary tools to be among the NBA’s elite

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
nm. someone posted above already.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Yeah, he probably speaks 4 languages too.  Who needs grades when you're NBA material and can trash talk in multiple tongues.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 02:51:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Assuming the BKN pick gets us in the 6-7 range, I'm taking Kris Dunn. Prior to that, I'm trading Smart + pick for Noel. Following the draft, I'm trying to sell Barnes or Batum on our future.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:36:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Assuming the BKN pick gets us in the 6-7 range, I'm taking Kris Dunn. Prior to that, I'm trading Smart + pick for Noel. Following the draft, I'm trying to sell Barnes or Batum on our future.

To be honest I think we'll be really unlucky to pick outside the top 4 given the way Brooklyn is playing.
The only teams clearly worse than them are the 76ers and tanking Lakers (who may even string together a nice stretch at some point.

Pelicans just need their starters to get healthy and they should win enough to drop back to around #8-#10.

Top four and we are golden. One of Simmons, Skal, Brown or Ingram will be an enormous acquisition for this franchise.It will be intriguing to see who Danny and Brad bring in for workouts and Brad will have almost as big a part as Danny in picking the eventual guys we draft- as he did this year.

Top four baby.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:43:03 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think Kentucky's Jamal Murray is going to be a sneaky riser as well as Henry Ellenson from Marquette. I would love it if we could package our other picks/assets besides the Brooklyn pick to get one of them.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
If Philly gets the #1 pick, does Simmons declare for the Draft?

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Grayson Allen has been super impressive. He's had games of 26, 28, 6 (vs Kentucky), 30 and 32 points. Do you guys think he has the potential to be a go-to scorer in the NBA?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about