Author Topic: Rondo is ballin....  (Read 6721 times)

Re: Rondo is ballin....
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Flirted with a triple double and had 18 assists.

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Rondo having another typical Rondo monster boxline in what will probably be yet another loss for the poor old Kings.

Man, I love Rondo, but it is SO much better watching him play for other teams when you don't care about the result.
Cousins is suspended and Gay left with an injured shoulder.  How much do you expect Rondo to do himself?

No, fair play. I just meant that they are not yet winning even with Rondo on fire. But yeah, they are a different team when DMC is out there
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
the 1 doesn't need to score 20 a night. to say a guy who gets a ton of tripple doubles and around 10 assists a night is bad on O is crazy. I can't wait to see the hate hate hate hate hate hate when he has a random slump this year.
i have noticed a pattern here at cv of accusing those who have differing, and often critical, opinions as being filled with hate. as if those who differ from you are filled with some sort of rage and venom that renders them incapable of objective judgement or insights.

is it really that simple?

can not one honestly, intelligently, coherently, and tellingly criticize a player and not do so powered by hatred and rage?

let us all do better than this please.

Not to throw this thread off track, but this is something I see a lot in public discourse these days, whether it's basketball or same-sex marriage or any of a host of other topics. Despite tolerance being a supposed virtue in modern America, I don't see a whole lot of it from those who preach it.

Edit: But yeah, Rondo is ballin', for sure. It's nice to be able to watch all his crazy highlights and not have to also think about the fact that he's a terrible FT shooter and (at best) a mediocre outside shooter. Oops, there I go hatin' again.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:35:27 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
the 1 doesn't need to score 20 a night. to say a guy who gets a ton of tripple doubles and around 10 assists a night is bad on O is crazy. I can't wait to see the hate hate hate hate hate hate when he has a random slump this year.
i have noticed a pattern here at cv of accusing those who have differing, and often critical, opinions as being filled with hate. as if those who differ from you are filled with some sort of rage and venom that renders them incapable of objective judgement or insights.

can not one honestly, intelligently, coherently, and tellingly criticize a player and not do so powered by hatred and rage?

Not to throw this thread off track, but this is something I see a lot in public discourse these days, whether it's basketball or same-sex marriage or any of a host of other topics. Despite tolerance being a supposed virtue in modern America, I don't see a whole lot of it from those who preach it.

One of the hardest things to do is assume that a person with whom you disagree very strongly actually has sincere, well-intentioned motives (even if just a fear for self or family, or loyalty to the culture of their upbringing).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

One of the hardest things to do is assume that a person with whom you disagree very strongly actually has sincere, well-intentioned motives (even if just a fear for self or family, or loyalty to the culture of their upbringing).

You're right.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Back to Rondo -- from an article on SBNation about Rondo the "oddball":

All of this could be a source of frustration when you discover that Rondo, while averaging 12 points, 11 assists, and six rebounds per game, is actually making the Kings a little bit worse when he’s on the floor.

But that’s all part of the Rondo Experience, too. He’s never given us an easy answer to the question that’s always asked about him: “Is he even that good?” The fun starts when you ignore the question entirely.

So true.

I think this is why people (including myself) say that it's more fun to watch Rondo from afar.  Because you don't have to worry about that question of whether he actually makes his team better.  You can just enjoy the weird, awesome way he plays.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
All of this could be a source of frustration when you discover that Rondo, while averaging 12 points, 11 assists, and six rebounds per game, is actually making the Kings a little bit worse when he’s on the floor.

http://deadspin.com/rajon-rondo-is-back-to-being-a-great-nba-oddball-1747069092
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

http://deadspin.com/rajon-rondo-is-back-to-being-a-great-nba-oddball-1747069092

I guess a lot of us took a look at that article.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline saynomore

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
ofc let's bring article where something wrong has to be mention when it comes to Rondo and his game

from my today' Twitter feed:

Shout out to everyone who said Rondo can't play uptempo: Sacramento's 2nd in pace and 12th in offensive rating

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
ofc let's bring article where something wrong has to be mention when it comes to Rondo and his game

Shout out to everyone who said Rondo can't play uptempo: Sacramento's 2nd in pace and 12th in offensive rating

Rondo deserves credit for playing uptempo on that team.  And 12th in offensive rating with Cousins missing so much time, and so little shooting on the team in general, is an accomplishment.

On the other hand, I read recently that Rondo is one of the league leaders in time spent holding the ball each game.  He doesn't hold onto the ball for a really long time, but in any given possession he ends up having the ball in his hands a lot.

So that does support the idea that Rondo wouldn't be a great fit in an offense that is supposed to avoid having any one player dominate the touches.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Rondo deserves credit for playing uptempo on that team.  And 12th in offensive rating with Cousins missing so much time, and so little shooting on the team in general, is an accomplishment.

On the other hand, I read recently that Rondo is one of the league leaders in time spent holding the ball each game.  He doesn't hold onto the ball for a really long time, but in any given possession he ends up having the ball in his hands a lot.

So that does support the idea that Rondo wouldn't be a great fit in an offense that is supposed to avoid having any one player dominate the touches.

That's why I think the Celtics are no longer a good fit for Rondo.  But I think he's a great fit in Sacramento and I hope he resigns there.  If they could get there hands on a consistently good SG (like Bradley, Smart, Middleton, etc..) so that Ben Mac can come off the bench, they'll be in business.  Rondo's style may be a bit ball dominant, but he knows how to juice up his teammates (Cousins loves his competitive fire) and his style fits post season basketball to a T.  (Golden State aside).

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I like the way Rondo works on that team offensively.  Biggest issue is he's just not a good defender at this point in his career.  They need to put a much better defensive group around him without reducing the amount of scoring in the lineup.  Unless Cousins recommits himself to being a defensive anchor as well as a scorer, I'm not sure how they can manage that.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

That's a huge positive on that team.  Who do you want making offensive decisions, Rudy Gay and Cousins or Rondo?  Did you see what Rudy did with the ball in his hands with like 15 seconds left in the OKC game?  He looked totally lost.  Cousins will try some irresponsible hero ball if left to his own devices and then pout for the next 5 minutes of game time if his nonsense doesn't work.  Rondo works on that team because he's basically a babysitter. 

Edit: also, the tone I took there looks like it was somewhat aggressive, but it's really because I dislike Rudy Gay and am annoyed by Cousins.  I totally agree with everything you wrote