Author Topic: How much of a drop are Jaylen Brown/Brandon Ingram from Ben Simmons?  (Read 13135 times)

Re: How much of a drop are Jaylen Brown/Brandon Ingram from Ben Simmons?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
caught some recent videos of Simmons.  Is it just me or does anyone else watch this kid and see a less-flashy Magic Johnson when he's got the ball in his hands?

Based on what he's shown so far, the team that gets him should be seriously looking at him at running the point.  Have to see his D but he seems to be fairly solid based on the little I've seen of him.

He is not a pg but point fwd like Lebron.

He would be a perfect addition for the Celts with ab and smart (both who are not true pgs).

Place IT back to coming off the bench

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think this coming draft is not as good as the last draft.  I'd take Towns or Porzingis (and maybe Okafor) over any of the guys in the 2016 draft. Granted, it is early, but that is my assessment. Just don't see the same combination of length and skill as the three I mentioned.

I am warming up to this one more and more. For comparison, there was a clear top 8 for me last year: KAT, Porzingis, Okafor, Russell, Hezonja, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson and Justise Winslow (with Myles Turner on the bubble).  That's a good run of prospects. WCS, Kaminsky, Sam Dekker, Cameron Payne, Rashad Vaugn, Oubre and Trey Lyles are all varying degrees of garbage, but there are some other useful players mixed in there like Devin Booker.  Hopefully Rozier turns serviceable and I really like RJ.

This year though, I honestly think Ben Simmons and Labissiere are on the same level as KAT and Porzingis.  Maybe not better, but on that level.  So that's a push. 

Then, there are 2 other SFs that look great: Ingram and Brown.  I like them both at least as much as I like Winslow and Hezonja, if not more. I really like Winslow and Hezonja too, I'm just saying that these new guys have high ceilings.

Dragan Bender - I have no idea.  He plays in Israel, which is not an elite league.  He has great size, but not as good as Porzingis.  I was SUPER high already on Porzingis this time last year and I am not so sure about Bender.  I haven't really researched him as much though, but typically I like prospects out of the French and Spanish leagues a lot more than any other foreign players.  However, he's played some exhibition games against actual NBA players and played fine, like 10 points on 3-8 shooting or so.  Keep in mind, he just turned 18.  Really hard to tell, I could see him going either way but right now I'd probably pass until about the 8th or 9th pick.

Jacob Poeltl: looks absolutely legit: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/11/23/9781194/college-basketball-scores-utah-jakob-poeltl-nba-draft-2016

Jamaal Murry and Kris Dunn- they're going like 7th and 8th and I like both better than Russell.

Henry Ellenson: He is an American white guy so any kind of opinions on him have a ton of baggage, but he looks to be the best American white guy PF in awhile.  More of an NBA game than Kaminsky.

Diamond Stone: Inconsistent, but he has had good games.  He is a project for sure, but if we could get him with whatever our second pick ends up, I'd be interested.  Great name, we could potentially end up with Dragan Bender and Diamond Stone in one draft.  I could see him struggling for a couple years, then getting really good.

Cheick Diallo - too short, no thanks

Anyways, that's the top group and I think I like it as much as last year.  Maybe a little less, but man it could actually be really good.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Jaylen Brown is a beast! No wonder he is being compared to Russel Westbrook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-hDlD6TKo

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Can he do that stuff in the pros?  I mean Marcus Smart was doing that stuff too in college.  I do really, really, really like him though.  I would be totally happy if he was one of the guys we got from the Nets picks.  I just wonder how high his ceiling is without a jump shot.

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Can he do that stuff in the pros?  I mean Marcus Smart was doing that stuff too in college.  I do really, really, really like him though.  I would be totally happy if he was one of the guys we got from the Nets picks.  I just wonder how high his ceiling is without a jump shot.

He does have a jumpshot. His technique gets criticized but he shot over 30% from three as a  senior.
If he got to the line in the NBA like he does in college/highschool he'd be top 5 in free throws attempted- which is the sign of a great scorer like Harden/DeRozan.
The difference between Smart and Brown is that  Brown has the size, length, strength and most importantly- the quickness to get into the paint in the NBA. He can also guard 4 positions- which Stevens and Ainge will love.
I can almost guarantee if he falls to #3 that Ainge does everything in his power to grab him.
Ainge was desperate for Winslow, this guy is a rich man's version of Winslow. He basically does everything as well or better than Winslow (with more athleticism), but has more of an attacking instinct like Westbrook or Jeff Teague. His shot isn't as good as Winslow's was at the same age either.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.