Author Topic: Would you take DMC AND Gay if Sacramento blew it up?  (Read 3289 times)

Re: Would you take DMC AND Gay if Sacramento blew it up?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure I'm giving up the BKN '16 pick for anything right now outside of AD, KD, or LBJ.
'

Is anybody in the 2016 draft that exciting? 

My main hangup with including the pick in a deal for Cousins is that we might be giving up a very, very good prospect who'd be under team control for at least 7 or 8 years just to have Cousins on the team for two and a half seasons.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't want Gay, and I wouldn't give up Smart in any deal for Cousins.

The package for Cousins should be Lee + Young + 2016 Nets pick.  Throw in one or two additional future picks if necessary.

Amen brother!   The whole reason to have Boogie would be pairing Smart and Cousins in the starting lineup ....drool... ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'm not sure I'm giving up the BKN '16 pick for anything right now outside of AD, KD, or LBJ.
'

Yeah, I mean that Brooklyn pick can't possibly look better than it does right now. Looking like an almost sure-fire top 5 pick. Certainly top-10 at the very least.

Bill Simmons suggested the Brooklyn pick straight up for Cousins. Now that's Simmons, and it was kind of in jest, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it's not close to enough if you do it mid-season.  But it's someone's idea of the relative values of Cousins and the Brooklyn pick.

Tough to say, Cousins is a top-10 or 15 player in this league. He's like 25 and under a few more years of contract at a good price. He's a valuable asset and if Sacto trades him they're gonna want enough back to help them rebuild quickly. If I was Danny, and you know that the deal just won't happen unless you include the 2016 Brooklyn pick, I'd probably offer this:

Terry Rozier, James Young, Jared Sullinger, David Lee (to match salaries and provide SAC cap space this year), the 2016 Brooklyn 1st, the 2016 Boston pick (Top-12 protected) and the 2018 Boston 1st (Top-7 protected, to give them a pick to replace the one they traded to Philly, Which I think is 2018?) for:

Cousins, Rudy Gay.

I think you can include less without Gay (maybe save Young, Rozier or one of the protected picks). Also, a huge caveat is, I think that's fair value at mid-season. Then, if the Nets are still this bad, it's gonna look like a top-5 pick, but it could still end up 8 or 9 by the end of the season. So your giving up more than you would if that pick is #1 or 2, but less than if it was #9 or 10. If it's a draft day trade and the pick is either #1 or maybe 2 or 3 and we were just trading for Cousins I'd be more like:

#2 overall pick, #11 (from DAL) Jonas Jerebko, Avery Bradley and the 2018 Boston 1st. Take out #11 if it's actually #1. I think Simmons is gonna be a little above his peers in terms of value at draft night. Plus it all depends on who's approaching who. If Boogie like publicly demands a trade and won't go to Philly, we could probably get away with just the Brooklyn pick, a young guy and a late-1st or two.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:09:53 PM by BDeCosta26 »

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
'
Westbrook, Wiggins, Towns, curry, Leonard, Drummond, Giannis, Okafor. None of those guys make your list?

I think you missed my larger point there.
Yeah my bad. Your post was only one sentence so it wasn't clear what your larger point was.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
'

Is anybody in the 2016 draft that exciting? 

My main hangup with including the pick in a deal for Cousins is that we might be giving up a very, very good prospect who'd be under team control for at least 7 or 8 years just to have Cousins on the team for two and a half seasons.

I think Simmons is someone to get pretty darn excited about.  The Skal kid also. 

You'd be getting either one under a very manageable, cost effective team control terms for the forseeable future and leaving the door wide open to continue building around them. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
'
Westbrook, Wiggins, Towns, curry, Leonard, Drummond, Giannis, Okafor. None of those guys make your list?

I think you missed my larger point there.
Yeah my bad. Your post was only one sentence so it wasn't clear what your larger point was.

Others seemed to have gotten it.  No reason to get flustered about it.  It happens. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think we should  wait and see on Boogie .....he may want out , they may become more on board with rebuilding without Cous.

Develope Hunter , Rozier and Mickey some .

Looks like Sully and KO a value maybe going up .

See what the Nets pick looks like latter

Maybe Boogie will be attainable latter .....not having to give up the Nets pick.

I think we should HOLD our cards.......see who blows up .....

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The thing about the Brooklyn pick is that even if they're worst in the league, the most common outcome will be #4.  There's a greater than 50% shot it's somewhere in the top 3, but still. 

If we're facing a trade like this before knowing where the pick lands, it's probably a decent roll of the dice, though we'll be kicking ourselves if it wins.  If it's already won the lottery, then yeah, we need a legit top-5 or top-10 player back, because no matter how much risk there is in taking the #1 guy, the addition of a favorable contract and RFA rights tips the scale heavily in favor of keeping the pick.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
This upcoming drafts top 10 is a place we want to be. Skal Labissierri is essentially a Myles Turner without the hip problem and Simmons reminds me, solely based off play style not measurables, of a Giannis A type of player. You have Ingram who is a solid prospect, but kinda reminds me of Austin Daye. Damian Jones looks like a young Andre Drummond for that Vanderbilt team. I know we have a bunch of point guards, but I expect to see Derryck Thornton in that top 10 too. This was a good year for Brooklyn to suck.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Like others have stated, we're only 8 games in, and though that pick looks awesome right now, there's a lot of season left. Further, the lottery odds just scare the crap out of me, because there's a big difference between the #1 pick and the #4 pick.

If the lottery was already selected and we got #1 or #2, then, no, I doubt I'd trade it for Boogie this summer, especially given the fewer years he'd be locked up. But I don't see how a trade like Lee + Sullinger or Rozier and the Brooklyn pick for Boogie could be turned down right now.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I play hardball on the 2016 Nets pick. Considering Philly isn't applicable here, the Cs will be able to exceed any offer available from another team right now. 

I expect Ainge would start by insisting the Nets 2016 pick is off the table, instead offering:

• Either: Our 2016 1st round pick (top 7 protected) or Dallas' 2016 pick, whichever is higher
  • Either: the right to swap with the Nets in 2017; or the Nets 2018 pick (not both)
  • Either: Our 2018 1st round pick (top 12 protected) or the 2018 Memphis pick, whichever is higher
  • Sullinger (considering the Cs won't wanna pay him next summer)
  • Zeller (considering the Cs won't wanna pay him next summer)
  • Avery Bradley
  • David Lee

And yes, I'd agree to take Gay, if needed, provided Bradley goes out the other way and we get to keep the 2016 Nets pick. This would give us the flexibility to add a pretty big FA contract next summer if justified.

Hard to imagine that offer could be beat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:33:30 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rudy Gay makes a ton of money and makes your team worse at the same time.  Taking him on would be a deal breaker.  He's literally my least favorite basketball player of all time.  Probably the most selfish and inefficient player in history.

Look at what the Kings fans in the comments section here (with a Zach Lowe cameo!) think about him, this came out two days ago: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/11/9/9700296/rudy-gay-nba-passing-sacramento-kings

Edit: I just reread the thread and you actually want Gay?  I thought your scenario was we would have to take him as part of the deal because he is hurting them so bad.  No thank you

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Rudy Gay makes a ton of money and makes your team worse at the same time.  Taking him on would be a deal breaker.

Don't agree. Taking him doesn't mean you have to start him or even play him (read: Gerald Wallace).

Ask Wyc if he'd write a $25MM check to buy Cousins right now, and 10 times out of 10 he'd say 'yes', especially considering Boogie is underpaid, and locked in.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rudy Gay makes a ton of money and makes your team worse at the same time.  Taking him on would be a deal breaker.

Don't agree. Taking him doesn't mean you have to start him or even play him (read: Gerald Wallace).

Ask Wyc if he'd write a $25MM check to buy Cousins right now, and 10 times out of 10 he'd say 'yes', especially considering Boogie is underpaid, and locked in.

1.) Jarrett Jack has passed on just 11% of his drives -- 4th-lowest among 57 players who average at least 5 drives/game. Last? Rudy Gay. 5.1%. (Source: Zach Lowe)

2.) He is shooting .231% from 3 this year, but taking almost 3 a game

3.) His FG% is down to .397 from a career .450.  That is with adding Rondo to the team

4.) All no defense second team: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/06/29/2015-defense/

He's just a garbage player who puts up some stats because he has such an ego he feels its okay to drive into the lane with his head down a hundred times in a row.  He shot 5-15 with no FTAs the other night.  If he wasn't getting minutes, he'd turn into a whiny diva. 

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

1.) Jarrett Jack has passed on just 11% of his drives -- 4th-lowest among 57 players who average at least 5 drives/game. Last? Rudy Gay. 5.1%. (Source: Zach Lowe)

2.) He is shooting .231% from 3 this year, but taking almost 3 a game

3.) His FG% is down to .397 from a career .450.  That is with adding Rondo to the team

4.) All no defense second team: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/06/29/2015-defense/

He's just a garbage player who puts up some stats because he has such an ego he feels its okay to drive into the lane with his head down a hundred times in a row.  He shot 5-15 with no FTAs the other night.  If he wasn't getting minutes, he'd turn into a whiny diva.

I think you completely missed my point, which is: who cares about any of the above? We took on $30mil of salary for the the worst player in the league to get a great deal two years ago... why wouldn't we take on $36mil (in a much higher salary cap) to get one now?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)