Author Topic: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?  (Read 53115 times)

Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 260
  • Truth Juice
Life is tough. You share a planet with 4 billion other human beings, and their goal in life is not to please you.

Much more ideal population for earth. 

Resources can replenish in normal times and my 7 mile commute won't take 45 minutes.  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1121
However, there is a line.  Even you would admit there's a line.  This thread is about where that line is.  I think you've gone a little abstract here..
Me, or Pho?

I'm really not all that abstract. The line is mostly written in the law of the land, and the law says that being a jerk is everyone's constitutional right.

Life is tough. You share a planet with 4 billion other human beings, and their goal in life is not to please you.

Resources can replenish in normal times and my 7 mile commute won't take 45 minutes.  ;D
It must be more now. That's the number books hammered in my head when I was a kid -- I guess I'm officially old.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Just because you're bothered doesn't mean you're right. It's a fairly simple concept which proves to be amazingly nebulous to millenials, time and time again.

Sure, I suppose that's true.  But what relevance does being "right," have here, exactly?

Just because you can't understand why particular actions or words bother somebody else doesn't mean you shouldn't respect that person's feelings.

Ask yourself -- what if they are legitimately upset by this thing they called me out on?  Is it really such a burden for me to change my behavior?
I don't have to care about everything that someone may be "legitimately upset" about. Neither should anyone else for that matter. The instant gratification generation doesn't seem to understand that the world isn't going to tiptoe around their fragile feelings. Maybe they don't like that -- but there is and will always be perfectly legal stuff that some people won't like.

I, for one, get pretty upset when folks that believe in an imaginary being (from a book that was written 1,500 years ago to hold the unwashed medieval masses in their rightful place, no less) get to shape life in the 21st century with their ridiculously antiquated world views. This, however, doesn't mean have a realistic expectation that it's appropriate for them to apologize, shut up, or disappear.

Though, why go through the world not making an effort or having the awareness to not actively, or even unintentionally, make it displeasurable and more difficult for others?

For all your generalizations of a younger generation (which I am not part of) the same generalizations could easily be thrown back at you: "I had some hard times/experiences and [dang]ed if you kids should as well."

That isn't true, but when the counter argument is that the world can be a cruel place, why not instead of throwing one's hands up and accepting it enact change that maybe makes it a better place for all people?

Obviously that is pie-in-the-sky to some degree, the world will still be cruel, but personally what is the stubbornness in not doing one's part to make it slightly less cruel?

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 225
However, there is a line.  Even you would admit there's a line.  This thread is about where that line is.  I think you've gone a little abstract here..
Me, or Pho?

I'm really not all that abstract. The line is mostly written in the law of the land, and the law says that being a jerk is everyone's constitutional right.

It must be more now. That's the number books hammered in my head when I was a kid -- I guess I'm officially old.

I was just pointing out that there are plenty of legal things that aren't tolerated by the bulk of citizens in a particular society.  TP to you if you tell me how to just quote the part of your post addressed to me, and also do what you did where you have two people's quotes in the same box.  Im old too after all.  4 billion sounded pretty good.  What is bty are we at 7 bil. yet?

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I often feel that much of what I see derogatorily labeled as "PC Culture" could also be fairly labeled "Don't Be A Jerk" culture.

It could also be fairly labeled "attack people who don't hold all of your opinions" culture. For instance, there would be plenty of objections if people here made remarks about minorities that took on the tone and tenor of many of the remarks that you see here about conservative, relatively affluent white men. There's no inherent difference between the comments made, but one target's more socially acceptable than the other in the PC culture. There's no differentiation based on whether you're a jerk or not.

If it seems like stuff that didn't used to count as "being a jerk," is being called that now, maybe it's because the people that were hurt or offended by the behavior in the past didn't feel empowered to speak up about it.

Some of that's the case, much of it is people that are hyper vigilant about comments that could possibly be construed as offensive when no such meaning was meant.

But if you're a member of the majority -- and this is something I've struggled to learn to do, myself -- I think you need to be willing to be persuaded and respect when somebody tells you a behavior bothers them, especially if that person speaks from a perspective you can't fully understand because of your privilege.

On one hand this is somewhat true, on the other hand there's no end to the number of things that everyone does that nobody at all will object to. Hence the thread title.

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

You became officially old the second you started talking about how kids these days are soft and coddled :P

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 958
  • What a Pub Should Be

You became officially old the second you started talking about how kids these days are soft and coddled :P

I thought the moment I became old was when I stopped being able to sleep through the night without having to wake up to pee.  That's a road where there is no turning back, sadly.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 152
Most Americans are soft and need to grow thicker skin.

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I thought the moment I became old was when I stopped being able to sleep through the night without having to wake up to pee.  That's a road where there is no turning back, sadly.

I became officially old when I realized sitting down was becoming more of a controlled fall.

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »

Online mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 424

I was just pointing out that there are plenty of legal things that aren't tolerated by the bulk of citizens in a particular society.  TP to you if you tell me how to just quote the part of your post addressed to me, and also do what you did where you have two people's quotes in the same box.  Im old too after all.  4 billion sounded pretty good.  What is bty are we at 7 bil. yet?

It's actually not that hard and, if I can do it, anyone can. When you press Quote, you'll need 3 things:

1) The first should be everything in the brackets of the person you want to quote. So when I quoted you, I quoted everything from "[quote author" to "date=1447274167]." That whole line tells the system what quote we're taking.

2) Erase everything else except the text you wanted to quote.

3) At the end, put "[/quote]" which tells the system that the quote is over.

Mike
Tickets for the 2017-18 season for sale at face value! Thread here: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=93612.0

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1121
Once you quote a post you can edit the quote to just keep the relevant parts. Just make sure you end up with a set of quote tags that close properly.

Two people's quote in the same box -- while you're writing your message, scroll down and use the Insert Quote button of the post you want to add.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen

It's actually not that hard and, if I can do it, anyone can. When you press Quote, you'll need 3 things:

1) The first should be everything in the brackets of the person you want to quote. So when I quoted you, I quoted everything from "[quote author" to "date=1447274167]." That whole line tells the system what quote we're taking.

2) Erase everything else except the text you wanted to quote.

3) At the end, put "
" which tells the system that the quote is over.

Mike
[/quote]

Thank you!  TP before I even officially try it...

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen
Once you quote a post you can edit the quote to just keep the relevant parts. Just make sure you end up with a set of quote tags that close properly.

Two people's quote in the same box -- while you're writing your message, scroll down and use the Insert Quote button of the post you want to add.

Oh TP to you too missed this post...
EDIT:  Shucks just missed a chance to combine two quotes...at least I know how to edit.

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
But if you're a member of the majority -- and this is something I've struggled to learn to do, myself -- I think you need to be willing to be persuaded and respect when somebody tells you a behavior bothers them, especially if that person speaks from a perspective you can't fully understand because of your privilege.

I'm consistently perplexed by the tendency of other white, straight males (like myself) to hear racial/sexual minorities and women describe their experiences and just flatly say, "nope, you're wrong, that's not the way it is".  It's basically telling someone your characterization of their personal experiences trumps their own.  It doesn't mean you'll always be wrong - sometimes an outsider's perspective really is more accurate - but gosh, how do they not realize the odds are sharply against that?

The odds probably aren't that sharply against it. If you're disagreeing with their experience it's frequently the case that they're describing a situation involving a white, straight male. Why would they have more of an idea of that person's perspective than you would of a minority's perspective?

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen

I'm consistently perplexed by the tendency of other white, straight males (like myself) to hear racial/sexual minorities and women describe their experiences and just flatly say, "nope, you're wrong, that's not the way it is".  It's basically telling someone your characterization of their personal experiences trumps their own.  It doesn't mean you'll always be wrong - sometimes an outsider's perspective really is more accurate - but gosh, how do they not realize the odds are sharply against that?

The odds probably aren't that sharply against it. If you're disagreeing with their experience it's frequently the case that they're describing a situation involving a white, straight male. Why would they have more of an idea of that person's perspective than you would of a minority's perspective?

It's pretty easy to tell other people to lighten up.  It's much harder to be told.  The odds are always against knowing what's going on in someone's else head..