Author Topic: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load  (Read 3068 times)

Re: Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 03:44:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 310
This ruling benefits very very few, at the expense of many.

This is not inherently a bad thing, nor necessarily a compelling argument.  Once upon a time slavery benefited many at the expense of a few, and outlawing it benefited a few at the expense of many.  Yet it was the right thing to do.

Sometimes the rights of the few outweigh the benefits to the many.
Not really accurate.  When the civil war started, the south had 9 million people.  Roughly 5 million white, 3.5 million slaves and .5 million free black.  Most southern whites did not benefit much if at all from slavery. 

Well, in terms of sheer number, it's not quite a "few", but it's still a smaller percentage, therefor "fewer".  And everyone that wasn't the free labor benefited from said free labor.  That's simple economics.
Actually low income workers do not benefit from even lower cost workers being around.  How would a small subsistence farmer just struggling to keep his family fed and maybe get a little bit ahead benefit from a rich plantation owner profiting from slavery?  Slavery existed because it benefited the wealthy few. 

Re: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 03:53:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5174
You know, before Net Neutrality, I don't remember ISPs reducing bandwith on sites or charging tremendously extra to the consumer for faster internet speeds. Competition between the ISPs drove the fastest internet speeds to be the norm.

Now unless the ISPs have decided that reducing bandwith to sites and consumers is something that is going to make them huge money and are going to start practicing in that business matter, I am not sure what Net Neutrality does.

My guess though is that ISPs have decided to do just that to drive profits and choke competition. Sadly enough, just another money grab from some of the larger corporations.

Iím really at a loss here.  Iím here asking so many questions because some of the most articulate conservatives I know also root for Celtics.  Iím sincerely trying to see this from the GOP point of view, but it seems as if no one can articulate that.  I mean, maybe itís illegal according to Roy?  Ok... I guess thatís a start.  But the question remains, why is it a good idea? 

At least with topics like Obamacare, Taxes, Gun Control, & Womenís Health; we have pros and cons to consider & prioritize. 

But this is different....What are the pros to this?   
As I said, the pros for this is not for the consumer, its for the corporations that provide internet service. It a pro for them to make higher profits. Its the reason they spent millions lobbying for the removal of Net Neutrality.

Re: Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 03:57:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1074
This ruling benefits very very few, at the expense of many.

This is not inherently a bad thing, nor necessarily a compelling argument.  Once upon a time slavery benefited many at the expense of a few, and outlawing it benefited a few at the expense of many.  Yet it was the right thing to do.

Sometimes the rights of the few outweigh the benefits to the many.
Not really accurate.  When the civil war started, the south had 9 million people.  Roughly 5 million white, 3.5 million slaves and .5 million free black.  Most southern whites did not benefit much if at all from slavery. 

Well, in terms of sheer number, it's not quite a "few", but it's still a smaller percentage, therefor "fewer".  And everyone that wasn't the free labor benefited from said free labor.  That's simple economics.
Actually low income workers do not benefit from even lower cost workers being around. How would a small subsistence farmer just struggling to keep his family fed and maybe get a little bit ahead benefit from a rich plantation owner profiting from slavery?  Slavery existed because it benefited the wealthy few.

So you must be against illegal immigration, and for building a wall then..... ;)

Re: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 04:27:44 PM »

Offline triboy16f

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 456
Reason against NN

Telecommunications providers such as telephone and cable companies, and some technology companies that supply networking gear, argue telecom providers should have the ability to provide preferential treatment in the form of tiered services, for example by giving online companies willing to pay the ability to transfer their data packets faster than other Internet traffic.[200] The added income from such services could be used to pay for the building of increased broadband access to more consumers.[124]

Opponents say that net neutrality would make it more difficult for Internet service providers (ISPs) and other network operators to recoup their investments in broadband networks.[201]