Author Topic: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?  (Read 53012 times)

So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1109
Yale Professor being verbally attacked by an angry mob for not banning Halloween. Suggested to those who were offended by a costume to "Look away" basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-VE8r7MSI

Students at Mizzou harassing a journalist trying to film at a public event.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QrIBscRS0Y

Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
If someone could embed these videos I would appreciate it with a TP or two. Also, please advise me on how to do it. After almost 8 years on this site, the simple copy paste of a youtube link to embed has now changed.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 381
  • Rutgers '17
If someone could embed these videos I would appreciate it with a TP or two. Also, please advise me on how to do it. After almost 8 years on this site, the simple copy paste of a youtube link to embed has now changed.
the site might still be broken.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1430
The war on Halloween concerns me about as much as the war on Christmas.

Super easy to tell minority students they should "just look away," or else take on the responsibility of confronting their peers in the majority.  How would it feel to be one of those students, I imagine? 

I'm guessing the Yale official has no idea what it's like for a black student at a historically white university to see peers walking around in black face.  Or how it must feel to see an official at that school, an official who is supposedly tasked with making those students feel at home, tell them, basically, to "deal with it"? 

I certainly don't know what that's like.

Do you?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:52:41 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 391
Yale Professor being verbally attacked by an angry mob for not banning Halloween. Suggested to those who were offended by a costume to "Look away" basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-VE8r7MSI

Students at Mizzou harassing a journalist trying to film at a public event.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QrIBscRS0Y

Pretty sure that's also free speech

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:59:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 2783

The students at Mizzou were physically keeping a journalist out from documenting an event. They weren't just voicing disagreements with the reporter; they were physically not allowing the reporter to do his job. Hence, they were infringing upon his right to free speech.
Quote from:  Tyrion Lannister
It's easy to confuse what "is" with what "ought to be," especially when what "is" has always worked out in your favor.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

Not when you get physical.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 01:04:18 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I am. Im tired of it. Perhaps a republucan president would fix some of it. But the thought of carson or trump winning makes me cringe. Im tired of slacktivism and the daily social media and twitter campaigns. Im tired of people being offended over the color of a starbucks cup, and im tired of the US pop. In general. People being offended by this stuff is offensive to me. Grow some skin people. With the tradgedies and horrors going on in the world the things that trend and are fought against are halloween costumes and cups, good lord

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 162

The students at Mizzou were physically keeping a journalist out from documenting an event. They weren't just voicing disagreements with the reporter; they were physically not allowing the reporter to do his job. Hence, they were infringing upon his right to free speech.
They were doing it at a state university one basically funded by the taxpayers in an area where the public is allowed to go. Totally misguided.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:49 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• Sam Jones
It's extremely concerning, but it's not surprising. It's like everything else with this crowd: tolerance always, unless you disagree with me.

All of it is extremely hypocritical anyways. These people are equating harmless generalizations with racism, when in fact these are two separate concepts that are not always necessarily connected. Generalizing information into "alike concepts" is a natural process of human reasoning and thinking. It only becomes racist and morally wrong when there are pejorative, derogatory, or discriminatory elements to it. Yet, this is generally the MO of all of these types of "racism" claims where they highlight differing incidences of some racist behavior, generalize to it a whole group, then claim there's a "systematic" prejudice (see police racism and brutality).

And the letter at Yale can't really just be boiled down to "look away". Rather, it was a call for students rather than college administrators to decide for themselves what they deemed as appropriate, and it went even further to encourage dialogue with those individuals who "offended" them. So it was a call for students to govern themselves rather than relying on college administrators, and boiling it down to "look away" doesn't do the letter justice.
It's easy to confuse what "is" with what "ought to be," especially when what "is" has always worked out in your favor.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
The war on Halloween concerns me about as much as the war on Christmas.

Super easy to tell minority students they should "just look away," or else take on the responsibility of confronting their peers in the majority.  How would it feel to be one of those students, I imagine? 

I'm guessing the Yale official has no idea what it's like for a black student at a historically white university to see peers walking around in black face.  Or how it must feel to see an official at that school, an official who is supposedly tasked with making those students feel at home, tell them, basically, to "deal with it"? 

I certainly don't know what that's like.

Do you?

There was an e-mail by the professor in response to a regulatory Halloween e-mail. The professor basically said, "No, I'm not regulating what these kids wear they can wear what they want" It's not like a dozen kids were walking around with black face as your post suggests.

Anyway, not super easy, the professor, and most freedom lovers, wouldn't support a disparaging costume,  but there is a greater point, you can't stop someone from doing things and saying stuff that offends you in the real world (At least for now), why should you be able to stop freedom at Yale?

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:02 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

It was even worse. The woman in the video was actually an assistant communications professor at the school. That had to be pretty embarrassing for her.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• Sam Jones
I am. Im tired of it. Perhaps a republucan president would fix some of it. But the thought of carson or trump winning makes me cringe. Im tired of slacktivism and the daily social media and twitter campaigns. Im tired of people being offended over the color of a starbucks cup, and im tired of the US pop. In general. People being offended by this stuff is offensive to me. Grow some skin people. With the tradgedies and horrors going on in the world the things that trend and are fought against are halloween costumes and cups, good lord

Exactly. This was mainly an issue in liberals, but now conservative Christians are starting to jump on the "offended" bandwagon and use it to their advantage.

Where did this come from? It's like all of a sudden there is now this notion that you can't respectfully disagree with someone else without vilifying them. This is one of the dangers of this radicalized PC that is so rampant nowadays, and it's a really dangerous precedent to set for the future.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:25:40 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• Sam Jones
Here's an even more concerning issue: Mizzou is now getting the police force involved and asking students to report "hateful speech"

http://www.mediaite.com/online/university-of-missouri-police-ask-students-to-report-hurtful-speech/

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 718

LOL I don't know how they can change anything when they are the ones crying about it.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)