Author Topic: Why did Gianni's drop in the 2013 draft?  (Read 1509 times)

Why did Gianni's drop in the 2013 draft?
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Any theories?

Danny travelled overseas to catch the kid play. So did many others.   So what do you guys think was the issue why Giannis was skipped over?? Or did Danny just like KO better.

Schroeder is also another player that should of been drafted much higher. 

Unless one of the main reason was because these were international players.  Has Danny  drafted an international player in the first round yet?? 

Re: Why did Gianni's drop in the 2013 draft?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
He was young. He was skinny. He wasn't even playing in the best possible league overseas. He also could not shoot at all, which was not conducive to what the Celtics needed at the time. (Remember the Celtics wanted to win in the Rondo Era). Basically he was Dante Exum without any precedent for success.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
His command of English wasn't the greatest, how could you really know what you were seeing against that competition and his arms looked more gangley back then not ripped like he is now.

In most cases the best place to learn the fundamentals of the game is not in the NBA. I had always liked him as a draft and stash candiate, thought he was making a mistake coming over immediately.

Look who we took instead of him, Olynyk is a former point guard turned PF/C who was coached from the ground up to have a deep understanding of spacing and offensive and defensive sets.

As for Schroeder most teams just whiffed. Think the Jazz who typically have great international scouting wish they took him at 9 instead of Trey Burke?

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Giannis didn't drop. He went right about where he was supposed to go. That was a bad draft and he was never considered a top 5 prospect at any time. Like most players chosen in any draft after the top five but before the middle of the second round, he was considered to have talent, to be a project, and to probably have a future with the only unknown being how bright he would shine. Giannis has done well to become more than he was probably originally thought he would become. But he didn't drop.

2. So if the question is why did he go late rather than top 5 then the answer to that question is the same as Why did Tony Parker go in the low 20's? Why did Marc Gasol go in the 2nd round?  Why did Darko go 2nd? Why did Exum go 5th?

It's all the same. Teams have better contacts and scouting of young players stateside and in some ways have to rely on just video and a small sample size of live scouting to decide on a kid from overseas and that's if the kid's agent even let's him work out for that team since sometimes the hype is bigger than the talent and the agent knows it.

Scouting non-American talent is, in many ways, still much more difficult than scouting American talent and even judging American talent is still very much a crap shoot. Thirty years from now on Celticsblog some poster named Quadboy is going to be asking why some stud Euro talent slipped into the teens and the answer is still going to be the same. The draft is a crap shoot and scouting non-American talent is even more of a crap shoot so talent will fall and be available to teams in the teens, 20's and in the 2nd round.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:34:21 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
His command of English wasn't the greatest, how could you really know what you were seeing against that competition and his arms looked more gangley back then not ripped like he is now.

In most cases the best place to learn the fundamentals of the game is not in the NBA. I had always liked him as a draft and stash candiate, thought he was making a mistake coming over immediately.

Look who we took instead of him, Olynyk is a former point guard turned PF/C who was coached from the ground up to have a deep understanding of spacing and offensive and defensive sets.

As for Schroeder most teams just whiffed. Think the Jazz who typically have great international scouting wish they took him at 9 instead of Trey Burke?

Yes I'm sure they do wish!  Good to see Burke finally shooting better at least...

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Level of competition, suspect shooting ability (still an issue), and his super skinny frame.  Would he fill out?  Could he play NBA basketball against grown men?  Does he have a position in the NBA?

Most of those questions have been answered at this point.  He's basically a 6'11'' version of Nic Batum. 

Giannis is one of like four or five guys I remember being excited about in the 2013 draft.  I seem to recall liking Kelly Olynyk at the time, but I was hoping the Celts would take Schroder, Dieng, or even Plumlee.  Giannis seemed to me like a likely bust -- another Anthony Randolph -- but I think even at the time I wanted Ainge to take him because we were entering rebuilding, so might as well go for the home run if nothing else.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, and Kelly hasn't been a bad pick.  Still, a number of guys taken after him would probably be better for the Celts right now.

Even Shabazz Muhammad ... I think I was torn on him.  So highly touted heading into college, but would he just be another Nick Young, or worse?  Jury is still out on that one.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Most of those questions have been answered at this point.  He's basically a 6'11'' version of Nic Batum.
Except Batum is twice the playmaker that Antetokoumpo will ever be.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Maybe so, though Giannis has averaged almost 3 assists per 36 minutes, which is not terrible. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And Giannis is already three times the slasher and finisher Nic Batum will ever be or ever was. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
But Batum is a finished product.  Giannis will end up better, maybe far better.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
But Batum is a finished product.  Giannis will end up better, maybe far better.

Assuming he continues to develop and stays healthy, maybe.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If you watch a couple of the Greek 2nd div games you`ll get your answer.
His competition was very very low. He could be half as good as he was and still look better than the other players.

Even Greek team failed to evaluate him and he signed a contract with a Spanish team.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Not sure about this. Giannis is a good passer

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he was young and over seas, and I would think that most NBA teams think it's risky drafting a kid with not much information on an overseas kid

I could be wrong but I think that is the case, and when drafting overseas player it's a HUGE risk, especially when it doesn't happen that often in the lottery