Author Topic: Brook Lopez Trade idea  (Read 1909 times)

Brook Lopez Trade idea
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Would a Brook Lopez trade make any sense for us and Brooklyn?

Something like David Lee, Turner, 2 first round picks 2016(our own and maybe dallas or one from minny) for Brook?

For Us:
It gives us more scoring and a definite inside presence! Brook looks pretty good this year and is only 27 years only. AND we still have the Nets 1st round pick...with losing Lopez they are going to get worse lol

Smart/Bradley/Crowder/KO/Lopez
IT/Hunter/Jerebko/Sully/Amir

For the Nets:
gives flexibility to start over. The will have money to make a run at big name players next year and have a couple of 1st round picks to use which will seem odd for them.

Idk, it seems like a decent gamble for both sides...boston worried bout health....Nets may want more for they star center....IDK......just a thought

whats yours? Let me hear it!!!!

Re: Brook Lopez Trade idea
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lopez, Young, and McCullough for
Lee, Sully, Zeller, Turner, Jerekbo and 2017 return pick swap rights.
Nets are getting a very high pick back in 2017 and early cap space. All the players given up by C's really aren't long term guys for them.

IT/Smart/Rozier
AB/Hunter/J. Young
T.Young/Crowder
AJ/Mikey/McCollough
Lopez/KO

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Lopez has been playing like a top 15 player this year. I always thought of him as a fringe all star, some where between 25-35th ranked in league but he's impressed me this year. Even with him playing this well, I think you have to pass on him because of the injury concerns.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Two first-round picks for Brook Lopez? You surely jest.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Would a Brook Lopez trade make any sense for us and Brooklyn?
only if the Nets are shipping Lopez somehere else for picks and a player(s) whose only positive is that they have a contract that can match up to Lopez.
Nets get worse.  C's benefit without having to give up anything.

Lopez is an injury waiting to happen, his D is low-quality and his rebounding is mediocre to be kind.  Other than providing better offense than our current bigs, I don't see him as worth the price.  If our bigs weren't having a horrid start offensively this year, Lopez wouldn't be a significant improvement -- certainly not enough to justify considering giving up any of the Nets picks.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think either they trade him pretty quick ...hopefully NOT to the Celtics ..LOL

Or watch him get injured again , thus dropping his value ...which is dumb for him and the franchise.

Everytime he leaves the court for another foot injury ....it's costing Lopez and the nets thousands if not not million in lost value to rebuild.

Lopez is not healthy enough to rebuild around as a center piece...Nets are in a rebuilding mode once again of some sort ...they need new blood , coach and GM .....of not new owner as well.

Continuing to play Lopez long minute is going to greatly shorten his career and ability to earn on another contract.

They should heal him slowly ,  then show he can play ......and let him go for what they can get .....before it become nothing.  Simular to Rondo rehab .....get him right and get the best deal possible.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
1) I'm not sure I'd be on board with paying Brook Lopez about $20M per year. Simply because I think we have a good chance to draft or sign an even better Center.

2) As far as the picks go, I feel as though the Nets would want the right to swap in 2017 rescinded as part of the deal. This way they have an incentive to be bad in 2017.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
No and hell no.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I hear ya on the injury part and it is a gamble  BUT i think he is a star player that we can acquire.

As far as his rebounding and defense.....he would be our best rebounder and shot blocker on our team....

Are there better players to get at the C position...sure....can we get them....prly not.... could we draft one? yea.......how has that worked for the last 10 years?

Honestly if we still have this year's nets pick i don't mind trading some others or even next year's nets pick.... we have plenty and should cash some in....i don't want to be the sixers lol

In the end, I would be good with acquiring Lopez and think he would put us near contention IF he can stay healthy. I do agree his defense and rebounds are not where I would like them but we have the cast to make up for that and the dude can score and averages nearly 2 (1.7) blocks a game.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
As far as his rebounding and defense.....he would be our best rebounder and shot blocker on our team....
You don't know much about Brook Lopez, do you?

The only way he'd be the best rebounder on any team is if you pair him with Andrea Bargnani in the frontcourt. He's got a career TRR of 13.7%(!) which puts him squarely between Kelly Olynyk (13.2%) and Tyler Zeller (13.8%) in the pecking order. For that matter, Lopez's career TRR is worse than that of any big we have not named Kelly Olynyk, so he will be much closer to being our worst rebounder than our best...

And he won't be confused for a defender, blocks or no blocks. Heck, I'd rather have David Lee in when I need a defensive stop. The only way you'd think he gives you anything defensively is if you've never seen him play a game.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:09:18 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hold onto all Nets picks unless there is a chance for a top 10 type star with out injury baggage or age issues.

Lopez has a significant injury issues to go along with a long big contract.  If he was the final piece to a contender, sure.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
These Lopez trade ideas remind me of the Amare trade ideas from last year (where people wanted to consolidate a bunch of contracts to take on Amare's massive expiring deal, and give New York healthier players under smaller, more easily moved contracts they could potentially flip in a follow-up trade).

My response is the same as then: the Nets will never be able to claw out of the hell they are in unless they pull off a deal like this. Why should the Celtics help them out, and devalue the Nets' picks that they own? Makes no sense to me.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why lopez?

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I hear ya on the injury part and it is a gamble  BUT i think he is a star player that we can acquire.

Are there better players to get at the C position...sure....can we get them....prly not.... could we draft one? yea.......how has that worked for the last 10 years?

Honestly if we still have this year's nets pick i don't mind trading some others or even next year's nets pick.... we have plenty and should cash some in....i don't want to be the sixers lol

In the end, I would be good with acquiring Lopez and think he would put us near contention IF he can stay healthy. I do agree his defense and rebounds are not where I would like them but we have the cast to make up for that and the dude can score and averages nearly 2 (1.7) blocks a game.

When in the last 10 years have we had a potential top 5 pick AND had the NEED FOR A BIG MAN? The best two picks we had were #7 in 2006 (Randy Foye) & #5 in 2007 (Jeff Green) and during that time we had Perkins.

There are at least 3 bigs I'd be interested in pursuing via the draft: Skal Labissiere, Dragan Bender, & Jakob Poeltl. I'd rather have each of them on a rookie contract than pursue Lopez. Not to mention we could sign a free agent like Al Jefferson, Al Horford in the offseason. 

I do like the fact the Lopez is a scorer & shot blocker. I'm just not willing to give up the assets for him at the moment.

If Brooklyn came calling sometime after draft night 2016--assuming we're unable to acquire a quality center--then I'd be willing to listen.   

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Why lopez?
I'm guessing because he may be available -- there certainly isn't any other compelling reason to sink resources into a player who hasn't played 75 games since 2010, gives effort only when he feels like it, and even when he does still plays no defense.