Author Topic: Celtics trade Rajon Rondo for Nerlens Noel and a 2014 1st Rnd Pick (Dario Saric)  (Read 2368 times)

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Could be -- particularly the portion about Holliday's age, and the fact that he can actually shoot.

As for the poster who called Rondo a Top 10 player, thanks for a good laugh.

FWIW, ESPN ranked Rondo the 12th best player in the league in 2012. Not a top 10 player though, unless we are talking playoffs  ;D
Thanks for bringing the facts. Rondo was also in the discussion for MVP votes.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Could be -- particularly the portion about Holliday's age, and the fact that he can actually shoot.

FWIW, ESPN ranked Rondo the 12th best player in the league in 2012. Not a top 10 player though, unless we are talking playoffs  ;D

The fact is that they DIDNT rank him in the top 10. By the way, you might want to change that handle at this point. Ship's sailed, albeit too late to exploit his perceived value.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
In retrospect the C's should have absolutely done this deal. However, at the time I thought Rondo was our only chance of attracting free agents to the team in the future.

Props to those who wanted to deal Rondo for a package like this at the time, while a deal like this is a no brainer at this point, it was probably considered poor value at the time.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think the Hornets would have gone for the trade package, even back then.  Holiday was younger and a better scorer. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think the Hornets would have gone for the trade package, even back then.  Holiday was younger and a better scorer.

Very possible. Holliday was on the rise, was indeed far younger, and offered a more rounded game.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

The fact is that they DIDNT rank him in the top 10. By the way, you might want to change that handle at this point. Ship's sailed, albeit too late to exploit his perceived value.
It was one poll. I can find you others where he was considered a top 10 player but it's easier to just use the MVP voting for that year. Rondo finished 8th. He also got a vote in 2011 and finished 11th that year.

Why are you so miserable?

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
In retrospect the C's should have absolutely done this deal. However, at the time I thought Rondo was our only chance of attracting free agents to the team in the future.

Props to those who wanted to deal Rondo for a package like this at the time, while a deal like this is a no brainer at this point, it was probably considered poor value at the time.
There are a lot of ifs that I'm sure we can look back on. What if the Cavs didn't hit the lottery jackpot again. We would have had Rondo and Love and probably would had attracted another free agent by now.