Author Topic: Would you be happy if Ainge went hard after Whiteside this summer?  (Read 904 times)

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
This dude is good and would solve so many problems for the C's. 26 years old but has had some problems in the past. He's going to get a max deal from someone, what about the C's?

Re: Would you be happy if Ainge went hard after Whiteside this summer?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'd be thrilled. Dunno about a max contract but he fits exactly what we need, a shot-blocking, athletic center. He'd be fun to watch in green.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yeah, for sure. 

I have read around that he has a questionable attitude, which is a small concern - but with his age and his level of talent, you have to take a chance on that.

Problem is that the cap is increasing, and it's hard to imagine him leaving Miami to come to Boston.  Unless he wants to go to a younger team that has a longer window (Bosh and Wade only have so much left in the tank). 

But definitely, if the chance is there I'd go hard after him.  A big man like Whiteside would I think transform this team in a huge way.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
throw a 4 year max at him. 1/30 chance he picks boston, i like those odds.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Unless it's in the 9-11 million per range gotta pass. He is very limited and isn't as good as other more elite defensive centers that don't have the baggage.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It would make me really nervous to give this guy the max. He has all the talent in the world but in the past his attitude has cost him an NBA job.

If next year we draft a franchise type prospect with the Nets pick I would be worried that Whiteside isn't the type of guy you want around a young impressionable player.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Unless it's in the 9-11 million per range gotta pass. He is very limited and isn't as good as other more elite defensive centers that don't have the baggage.

He will definitely get more money than that - Amir is currently making $12M. I agree that signing Whiteside to a max or near max deal seems a little crazy, but his production is off the charts. Maybe we all just need the season to get used to him as a top-end center to truly believe in him.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's certainly a drool inducing prospect.
Eric Spoelstra says he's only scratched the surface. I noticed this season he's started implementing some back to the basket post/spin moves which are almost like Al Jefferson's go to plays. I never saw him with this kind of offensive range before.

My biggest concern is that this guy is a true psychopath. I'm sure he's bipolar and he could fly off the handle at any stage.
I mean throwing the max deal at him is the only way he'll consider us because plenty of teams (including the Heat) will be offering him max contracts.
I'd prefer Boogie over Whiteside from a mental aspect, that's how much he worries me.
To me, Whiteside is the next Larry Sanders waiting to happen. Just too unstable.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
With the way he is playing, he is going to get the full max. Problem for Miami is that they dont have the cap space to offer him that, plus he would have only been with them for 2 yrs so they dont have birds rights.

It seems like he will have to take some kind of pay cut to stay with the Heat. They could do early bird rights but he will have to sign a 1 or 2 yr deal I think worth 17-34mill. His max is within the 16-18mill per yr range. If a team comes in with a 4yrs 82mill max deal (PO in yr 3) hard for me to see him turning it down esp given he hasnt made much money in his NBA career

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Yes, I'd be happy if Ainge went hard after Whiteside. I'd offer him a max deal despite his past.

Whiteside would complement our best defensive players (Smart, Bradley, Crowder), while providing shot blocking and rebounding.

Then hopefully Brooklyn--NETS us a top 5 pick. Simmons, Brown, Ingram would be good additions if we chose to draft a SF, while Labissiere & Bender would be ideal at PF.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

He will definitely get more money than that - Amir is currently making $12M. I agree that signing Whiteside to a max or near max deal seems a little crazy, but his production is off the charts. Maybe we all just need the season to get used to him as a top-end center to truly believe in him.
He may get more but that would be all I'd offer. Let's also not forget AJ got 12 million because it is a short term deal with a non guaranteed 2nd year.