Author Topic: Anthony Morrow benched -- available?  (Read 816 times)

Anthony Morrow benched -- available?
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I can't see why Anthony Morrow is slipping out of OKC's rotation. The rationale for starting Roberson is pretty clear -- OKC isn't in need of major offensive production with their big 3 (plus Kanter) healthy, and he certainly resembles Thabo in his defensive abilities.

Less understandable is Waiters getting the lion's share of backup minutes at SG thus far under Donovan. Waiters hasn't proven jack. In contrast, Morrow finished 12th among SGs in RPM last year (2.76), in large part due to a ORPM (2.33) but was still positive on defense (0.43).

He's not exactly young (30), but is absolutely a dead-eye shooter ... a major need for us (e.g., we beat WASH handedly when we shoot unsustainably well as a team, but could lose to almost any one when we don't). He shot 43% from 3 last season, averaging 4.4 in ~24 mpg... and he finished the season strong.

Morrow seems like he could help fill a void for us, he's non-guaranteed next season, and on contract for 3.4 mil/ year (basically the same as Turner). I'm viewing this as another marginal improvement as we wait for a greater opportunity (if it comes). Unfortunately, I'm not sure we have anything to offer OKC (without overpaying) to make the deal happen. And admittedly, there well could be something I'm missing here, given he's riding the pine behind Waiters right now. Just seems like a good fit for our current needs, and isn't the type to age poorly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:53:33 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Anthony Morrow benched -- available?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:01:56 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Morrow hasn't slipped out of the rotation; Donovan's just experimenting. He played quite a bit in the first few games, but Donovan has cut his minutes in favor of Singler (who rarely played in those games in which Morrow received heavy minutes).

I'm almost certain we'll see Morrow back in the regular rotation by the time they play their tenth game.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:11:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Morrow hasn't slipped out of the rotation; Donovan's just experimenting. He played quite a bit in the first few games, but Donovan has cut his minutes in favor of Singler (who rarely played in those games in which Morrow received heavy minutes).

I'm almost certain we'll see Morrow back in the regular rotation by the time they play their tenth game.

Strange situation (avg of about 5 mpg the last 3 games). But Singler looks to have played even less the past 2 games. It just doesn't make much sense to me, with Waiters getting the lion's share.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Strange situation (avg of about 5 mpg the last 3 games). But Singler looks to have played even less the past 2 games. It just doesn't make much sense to me, with Waiters getting the lion's share.

Most likely to see if Waiters is worth an extension, considering this is his contract year, and possible chance at getting paid.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different