Author Topic: we should Trade for jabari parker  (Read 4530 times)

Re: we should Trade for jabari parker
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
This is one of those threads where I'd like to give negative TPs.

Perhaps you should just not comment at all then - obviously an unrealistic scenario,  but we technically have the pieces / picks - your comment wasn't warranted.

Forums Police is really boring stuff. If a thread deserves to be ripped, so be it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Is Jabari Parker any better of a prospect than Tobias Harris? If so, why?

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Um yes. Jabari is 3 years younger and shows overall more production and more potential than Harris did at the same age.
-Jabari played logged almost twice as many minutes as Harris in their respective rookie years despite getting hurt 25 games in.
-Jabari showed the ability to shoot 3s at a decent percentage in college, which hasn't translated yet. Harris didn't show that in college and hasn't picked it up in the NBA.
-Jabari was better in many statistical categories such as 2P%, rebounding and points per 40 minutes in college and in their rookie seasons
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

We should be focussing on trading for Steph Curry. The Warriors have been sitting him out in the fourth quarter-- their lineup is so good that he sits on the bench. We need a PG who can shoot.

Jerebko, Bradley, Lee and Turner for Steph Curry. Our four guys together average almost as much as Curry does per game and, well, they're getting four for one!

Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Um yes. Jabari is 3 years younger and shows overall more production and more potential than Harris did at the same age.
-Jabari played logged almost twice as many minutes as Harris in their respective rookie years despite getting hurt 25 games in.
-Jabari showed the ability to shoot 3s at a decent percentage in college, which hasn't translated yet. Harris didn't show that in college and hasn't picked it up in the NBA.
-Jabari was better in many statistical categories such as 2P%, rebounding and points per 40 minutes in college and in their rookie seasons

Harris improved his 3PT shooting last year by 11%, with almost double the attempts. That's marked improvement.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harrito02.html

Harris shot 87/239 from deep last year. For comparison's sake, Marco Belinelli shot 86/230.

Harris is definitely a credible threat from three.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Let's go for Giannis instead. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is one of those threads where I'd like to give negative TPs.

Perhaps you should just not comment at all then - obviously an unrealistic scenario,  but we technically have the pieces / picks - your comment wasn't warranted.

Forums Police is really boring stuff. If a thread deserves to be ripped, so be it.

Well, if you want to go there...

The rules also incorporate these announcements, if it wasn't already clear:

Quote from: Roy H. on December 22, 2010, 03:59:43 PM
Lately, there have been way to many posts along the following lines:

This is a dumb thread . . .

I wish I could give this thread negative Tommy Points . . .

Do you even watch the games?  I'm surprised a real fan would say that . . .

Worst trade idea ever . . .

This thread is a massive FAIL . . .

The above are examples, because I didn't want to signal anybody out individually.  However, statements like those above violate our rules, because they're inherently disrespectful and devolve debate.

I'm sure every single one of us has come across a thread before and thought "What the heck is this idiot talking about?"  It's fine to think that, but when choosing whether or not to post in the thread, please use discretion.  Basically, follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule.

It's very possible to debate without belittling or mocking others.  There are going to be times when we all vigorously disagree with others.  That's completely fine, just please remember that when debating, things have to remain civil.

Basically, we don't want to have people leaving here with their feelings hurt.  Let's all remember that we're on the same side here.

I may not have a lot of posts, but I have been around CB for 10+ years and very much appreciate the way the site is run. I am sure Granath (who is a very solid poster) didn't mean anything by his comment, but all of us can use a little 'forums rules' reminder sometimes.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Bucks are dying to get rid of him.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yes.  Significantly.  Not even close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
In what ways is Jabari Parker better?

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
He has a much more varied offensive game and a higher potential defensively.  He is over 3 years younger.  There is a reason he was a top 3 pick in a deep draft and Harris was a mid-1st round pick in a presumed to be weak draft at the time.  Parker is one of the best prospects in basketball.  Harris is not. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
He has a much more varied offensive game and a higher potential defensively.  He is over 3 years younger.  There is a reason he was a top 3 pick in a deep draft and Harris was a mid-1st round pick in a presumed to be weak draft at the time.  Parker is one of the best prospects in basketball.  Harris is not.

I wonder how much of a difference there is between the two of them.

I think both players have similar issues. Tweener forwards. Too slow for top SFs and too small against bigger PFs. Both guys are comparable rebounders. Comparable ball-handlers and passers. Both players are comparable outside shooters. Comparable post games and interior scoring. Comparable transition scorers. I think Jabari Parker is a better midrange scorer but other than that I see two fairly similar players.

I've always been more than a bit skeptical about how high Jabari Parker's ceiling is. That he was advanced at an early age but does not have the same room for improvement of someone like Andrew Wiggins whose athleticism offers him potential in several areas. I can't help but wonder if Jabari was just more of an early bloomer and overvalued while Tobias Harris was more of a late bloomer and undervalued. And consequently, I wonder how much of a difference there is between the two especially given the large (expected) difference in their respective trade values and how that would effect who the Celtics should pursue.

Also, it'll be interesting (over the next few years) to see how valuable that midrange scoring advantage turns out to be for Jabari Parker given how so many NBA teams are moving away from those type of scoring opportunities. I was very disappointed in how little plays Milwaukee ran to get Jabari the ball in those types of positions last season.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I don't think late bloomers are underrated. I think there are a few guys who start to show something after a couple of years in the league and end up being studs at 26 or 27 and it looks insane that so many people gave up on them, but for every guy like that, there's a 4 guys who always look like their just about to put it together but never do. Honestly I would still put Tobias Harris as probably being in the second category - he had one good year on a bad team in a contract year. It still remains to be seen if he can find a lasting place as a key piece of a contender.

Jabari's stock is definitely partly a function of developing skills way ahead of schedule, but most guys with more raw athleticism will never develop those skills at all. I also think it's a bit unfortunate that Jabari will always be compared to Wiggins. Obviously he's not even close to the physical talent that Wiggins is, but people sometimes act like he's a more skilled version of Glen Davis. I'd say he has legitimate athleticism for a starting NBA player and also has a wide array of offensive skills to go with it.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!