Author Topic: ITS TIME FOR MEMPHIS TO BLOW IT UP...LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE  (Read 3369 times)

ITS TIME FOR MEMPHIS TO BLOW IT UP...LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:53:01 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Let's say Memphis is having a fire sale in the 2016 offseason. Who would you want to trade for, and what would you be willing to give up??

Let's be real, Memphis is not going to win a champion as currently constructed.

Since Memphis owes it's 2016 1st round pick to Denver (protected selections 1-5 & 1-30), so they'd be wise to give it one last hoorah this year.

I'd suggest trading for Kevin Martin & Mario Chalmers to bolster their offense. After the season is over, it's time to get down to business!

I haven't put together a well thought out proposal, but here's a general idea of what I'd be looking for:

TO BOS: M. Gasol, Z-Bo, Tony Allen

TO MEM: Rozier, Young, Jerebko, Olynyk, Zeller sign & trade, 2016 Brooklyn pick, BOS 2016 1st, 2018 MEM 1st round pick (allows Memphis to suck in 2018 and keep their pick), 2018 BOS 1st round pick (lottery protected), two future 2nd round picks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few thoughts:

- I believe we'd have enough cap space in 2016 to take back all of Gasol's salary without sending much back.

- Notice I didn't include Mickey or Hunter because I'm greedy and would like to keep them.

- I also think we'd easily be able to recruit Mike Conley to come here as a free agent since we traded for his teammates. Would we have enough cap space left to ink him to a new deal?

- If not and worst comes to worst, we can include Amir Johnson in my proposed deal, then use some of the cap space to sign Conley. If we include Amir, I'd want to keep Zeller...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth chart for the 2016-2017 season:

Conley/IT4
Smart/Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Allen
Z-Bo/Sully/Mickey
Gasol/Amir?/Zeller?

- That'd be our new 12 man rotation (either Zeller OR Amir included) !!!

- Regardless of what picks are included in the deal--I'm guessing we'd still have enough picks left in the 2016 draft (1st or 2nd round) to select a few rookies and get the roster to 15.

- Young/Youngish guys: Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Sully, IT4, Hunter, Mickey, & (Zeller?)

- Older guys: Z-Bo, Gasol, T. Allen, (Amir?)

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OWN PROPOSALS, (as mine was done with little thought put into which picks should be included).

Re: ITS TIME FOR MEMPHIS TO BLOW IT UP...LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:11:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The premise of this thread is that Memphis should consider blowing up their team and if they do then the Boston Celtics should strive to become the Memphis Grizzlies....
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:21:20 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The premise of this thread is that Memphis should consider blowing up their team and if they do then the Boston Celtics should strive to become the Memphis Grizzlies....

LOL my thoughts exactly.

I would give them a couple beans for Gasol, he's about to be 31 in jan. so I would give them much more than that.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:26:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's need to blow it up not Grizz. C's are years away with no star. Grizz can make noise as they still have 3 very good players and some good supporting cast. Keep Smart, Rozier, Hunter, Young, Mickey.

Fire sale the C's players
IT, a 6man offense first guard. Come buy for a decent 1st.
Turner, a 8 man off the bench. For just a 2nd act fast.
AB, 6man 3nD guard. A prospect and a first an he is yours.
AJ, Defense first big. Need a solid vet, here is your chance for a 1st.
JJ, energy guy to get fans going. He can be had for a exemption.
Crowder, sf that will give 100%. Bargain for a pair of 2nds.
Zeller, Backup C. Need one? Get him before he is gone, low 1st.
Sully, Big load. Need more beef in the lineup? Buy now for a 1st.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:27:49 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

- I guess you could say that....We'd be bringing even more GRIT AND GRIND to Boston. We'd be surrounding these Memphis players with more capable 3pt shooters (IT4, Smart, Bradley, Hunter, Sully) than they currently have this year.

- Conley, Smart, Bradley, T. Allen, Crowder, Z-Bo, & Gasol would likely give us a top defense in the NBA.

IT4 would provide us with the scoring punch off the bench that Memphis currently lacks. 

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:29:41 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
OP looks like one of those click-bait **** pop-ups. Well done. TP.

One of the worst trade ideas in a while though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 01:30:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yes!!!! I do want to get rich from those 3 easy steps!!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:20 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
C's need to blow it up not Grizz. C's are years away with no star. Grizz can make noise as they still have 3 very good players and some good supporting cast. Keep Smart, Rozier, Hunter, Young, Mickey.

Eh idk...Why bring in Isaiah and start building a winning culture only to blow it up? If we did go this route though, I'd want it to happen before this years deadline in order to maximize the value of our own 1st round pick this year.

My post, along with your response is exactly why I'm excited for the teams future...The possibilities are endless. There are a number of different routes we could go.

IN DANNY WE TRUST...

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Eh idk...Why bring in Isaiah and start building a winning culture only to blow it up? If we did go this route though, I'd want it to happen before this years deadline in order to maximize the value of our own 1st round pick this year.

My post, along with your response is exactly why I'm excited for the teams future...The possibilities are endless. There are a number of different routes we could go.

IN DANNY WE TRUST...

What winning culture? The dude is not KG. The team was already turning around when Rondo and Green were shipped. It also still finished with a losing record and got swept in the playoffs round 1. IT is just a good bench scorer ship him.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

IN DANNY WE TRUST...

The question is, did the C's ever really build a winning culture?  They played over their heads and still only went 40-42 in an awful Eastern conference.  This team loses 50+ games last year playing a western conference schedule.  The Cavs showed Boston in the playoffs how far they are from being legit contenders.  I do agree that there are a ton of different directions this team can go.  I don't see any major shakeups happening, but I could see some of the fringe pieces (Turner, Sully, Lee, KO, etc) moved sometime during this season.  And I trust Danny Ainge will make the right moves. 

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 01:57:12 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
OP looks like one of those click-bait **** pop-ups. Well done. TP.

One of the worst trade ideas in a while though...

I happen to think it'd be a decent idea because even after the Gasol/Z-bo/T.Allen era in Boston is over; we'd still have all of our young players now in their mid-to-late twenties, or early 30's.

We'd likely still likely have all of our own picks for the future. Not to mention my proposal still leaves us with some of the picks we own from other teams which allows us to re-tool on the fly.

I've already taken into account:

- that Z-bo might be done after the 2019-2020 season (re-sign him to a reasonable 2 year deal after his current deal expires)

- that Gasol might give us a 3-4 year max window to compete for a championship.

The only logical counter argument to my proposal is that you'd prefer to go young and draft a guy like Ben Simmons or Skal Labissiere. That would allow us to wait out the LeBron era and take over the Eastern Conference when its over.

Whatever Danny decides to do, I'm all for it. I trust he'll make the right decisions
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:09:21 AM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:48 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

IN DANNY WE TRUST...

The question is, did the C's ever really build a winning culture?  They played over their heads and still only went 40-42 in an awful Eastern conference.  This team loses 50+ games last year playing a western conference schedule.  The Cavs showed Boston in the playoffs how far they are from being legit contenders.  I do agree that there are a ton of different directions this team can go.  I don't see any major shakeups happening, but I could see some of the fringe pieces (Turner, Sully, Lee, KO, etc) moved sometime during this season.  And I trust Danny Ainge will make the right moves.

Everything you said I've thought about over and over. "Are we good enough to make playoffs this year? Were we good enough last year or did we only make playoffs due to injuries to other teams?"

I think Turner & Lee should be traded by the deadline since it's likely they won't be here beyond this season.

Olynyk might be easier to trade than Sully at this point because he's under a rookie contract for another year.

I'm excited to see what Rozier, Hunter, & Mickey can do.

Ben Simmons...Skal Labissiere...Jaylen Brown...

KEEP LOSING GAMES BROOKLYN!!

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 02:12:28 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I personally think Memphis will continue with this group going forward and won't tear the team apart.  They still aren't that far off. 

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

#100 TP

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 02:22:44 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I personally think Memphis will continue with this group going forward and won't tear the team apart.  They still aren't that far off.

They can start by trading for Kevin Martin & Mario Chalmers before this years trade deadline.

If he's willing to take a severe pay cut, Joe Johnson next offseason would make sense as well.

They'll have options. Especially since the salary cap is set to rise. In the loaded west, I just feel like they're doomed for premature playoff exits every year.