Author Topic: Trade Deadline Idea: Celtics/Hornets  (Read 1384 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Idea: Celtics/Hornets
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Which of our big men could Big Al play next to without killing our defense or spacing?

Amir and Jerebko?  Pairing him with Sully or KO would just be way too slow-footed a frontcourt, and Zeller doesn't have the range or the ability to cover perimeter threats to make that work.

Batum has exactly what we need -- size, shooting, and ball-handling on the wing, plus playoff experience.  Like Big Al, he's an expiring.

And more likely, more expensive.  He is younger.  And they just added him to fit their new style of offense.

And he would be replacing Lee (at least in the trade I would want to try).  Who isn't quick.  Who isn't an outside shot threat.  Who isn't even an average defender.  Who isn't the offensive threat Big Al is.

Is Big Al quick, an outside shot threat, or even an average defender, at this point?  I think he's probably the last one, but not the other two.  I'm not sure how dangerous he is offensively anymore, and I'm not sure he'd really help us on the boards, either.  And I just don't think you could really get away with playing him next to Sullinger, Olynyk, or Zeller, which means adding him wouldn't solve any of the problems with our big man rotation.

I agree Batum would cost more, but would probably be more worthwhile if we're trading assets for him.  I think Batum should be a target for the team to sign long term, whether or not they trade for him this season.  He provides all the things we need on the wing, like I said previously, and he's relatively young.

I'm sure the Hornets would like to keep him, but what incentive does he have to re-sign there, especially if they stink this year (which is the premise of the thread -- though I think they'll be in the mix for a playoff spot).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain