Author Topic: Trade Deadline Idea: Celtics/Hornets  (Read 1377 times)

Trade Deadline Idea: Celtics/Hornets
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Get BIG AL back home!

Original trade idea:

TO BOS: Big Al, Daniels, Hansbrough

TO CHA: Turner, Zeller, Olynyk, Young, PHI 2016 second round pick

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why for CHA?

- It's time for the Hornets to be realistic--they're a lottery team. With MKG going down before the season, their playoff hopes seem very slim. With Al Jefferson (30 years old) becoming a Free Agent next offseason, the Hornets may be inclined to trade him; ensuring they get something in return.

- Zeller & Turner can be re-signed depending on how CHA's 2016 draft and Free Agency goes.

- Olynyk & Young can be kept while CHA continues to add lottery talent to their team. They bring more shooting to the team.

- Philly's 2016 second round pick could end up being a steal in the 2016 draft for CHA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why for BOS?

- We need an upgrade at C.
- He has GREAT footwork in the post
- He can block shots
- Gives us more of an inside presence--MORE REBOUNDS
- He helps our playoff chances this year
- The team gets to build chemistry sooner, instead of waiting to get Jefferson in FA.
-None of the players involved in the trade are long term pieces for BOS (PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG JAMES YOUNG!)

Thoughts???

***UPDATED TRADE SCENARIO:

TO BOS: Big Al, Roberts

TO CHA: Lee, Young, PHI 2016 second round pick

I might even consider throwing in Turner if Rozier, Hunter, & Jerebko prove they're capable of utilizing his minutes effectively.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:20:58 PM by CsBanner18 »

Re: Trade Deadline Idea: Celtics/Hornets
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:55:12 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am not on board with trading young, cost controlled pieces for a guy who is in the last year of his contract and journey men.

If anything at the deadline we should be moving our older players and letting the young guys play not trading two of our young guys for an old  guy who might leave/doesn't fit our system and 2 bums.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I am not on board with trading young, cost controlled pieces for a guy who is in the last year of his contract and journey men.

If anything at the deadline we should be moving our older players and letting the young guys play not trading two of our young guys for an old  guy who might leave/doesn't fit our system and 2 bums.

- By older guys you must be referring to David Lee who is 32? Amir & Jonas are 28, & Turner is 27. IT4 is 26. If CHA prefered Lee in the swap I'd do it. Keep in mind though we could move Lee in another deadline deal OR simply let him expire.

- Big AL is 30. There's nothing wrong with adding a 30 year old to a young team so long as he's producing well. Jefferson averaged 16.6 points, 8.4 rebs, & 1.3 blocks last season. WE NEED HIS SCORING & REBOUNDING more than we need the players we're giving up. He'd be our 2nd best scorer--behind Isaiah. Bradley would be our 3rd best scorer.

- Ainge will have picks to select an impactful big for the future in the upcoming draft.

-Think about what we're giving up...

1) Kelly Olynyk--who IMO should be the LAST PF on the depth chart 

2) James Young--who likely won't get the opportunity to shine here in BOS given the fact that we will likely keep drafting players that can take his roster spot (in the short term). 

3) Evan Turner--who's game I personally like (his midrange jumper on the baseline is $$$), but he's taking Jerebko, Rozier, & Hunters' minutes. He won't be here beyond next year, especially if we can get one of the many SFs likely to declare for the 2016 draft.

4) Zeller--who's a backup center at best--can run the floor well, and knows how to picks his spots to shoot. AMIR JOHNSON would be his replacement at backup C.

Depth Chart after the trade:

Smart/IT4/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter/Daniels <----(NOT A BUM, CAN SHOOT. Keep on roster, maybe D-league)
Crowder/Jerebko
Sully/Lee/Mickey
Jefferson/Amir/Hansbrough <----(can be waived or let walk--WHO CARES)

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Get BIG AL back home!

Why for CHA?

- It's time for the Hornets to be realistic--they're a lottery team. With MKG going down before the season, their playoff hopes seem very slim. With Al Jefferson (30 years old) becoming a Free Agent next offseason, the Hornets may be inclined to trade him; ensuring they get something in return.

- Zeller & Turner can be re-signed depending on how CHA's 2016 draft and Free Agency goes.

- Olynyk & Young can be kept while CHA continues to add lottery talent to their team. They bring more shooting to the team.

- Philly's 2016 second round pick could end up being a steal in the 2016 draft for CHA

Why for BOS?

- He can block shots
- The team gets to build chemistry sooner, instead of waiting to get Jefferson in FA.
-None of the players involved in the trade are long term pieces for BOS (PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG JAMES YOUNG!)

Thoughts???

I like your idea of bringing Big Al home but I rather do it in a different way.  I rather wait for December 15 when Jerebko can be traded. 

I rather send Zeller, Olynyk, Jerebko and the 2nd rounder you mentioned.  The money work out for these 3 players for Big Al alone.  Olynyk and Jerebko both have this year and next, and they'd have both the Zellers together.  I rather keep Turner and Young if possible.   

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DA would never do this .

Hornets fans loath him ...poor defense and getting slow and old fast.  The season is young and Al is not ......he will be I juried by game 50.

When your rebuilding , at this stage trading young prospects in training makes no sense to me.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

- By older guys you must be referring to David Lee who is 32? Amir & Jonas are 28, & Turner is 27. IT4 is 26. If CHA prefered Lee in the swap I'd do it. Keep in mind though we could move Lee in another deadline deal OR simply let him expire.

- Big AL is 30. There's nothing wrong with adding a 30 year old to a young team so long as he's producing well. Jefferson averaged 16.6 points, 8.4 rebs, & 1.3 blocks last season. WE NEED HIS SCORING & REBOUNDING more than we need the players we're giving up. He'd be our 2nd best scorer--behind Isaiah. Bradley would be our 3rd best scorer.

- Ainge will have picks to select an impactful big for the future in the upcoming draft.

2) James Young--who likely won't get the opportunity to shine here in BOS given the fact that we will likely keep drafting players that can take his roster spot (in the short term). 

3) Evan Turner--who's game I personally like (his midrange jumper on the baseline is $$$), but he's taking Jerebko, Rozier, & Hunters' minutes. He won't be here beyond next year, especially if we can get one of the many SFs likely to declare for the 2016 draft.

4) Zeller--who's a backup center at best--can run the floor well, and knows how to picks his spots to shoot. AMIR JOHNSON would be his replacement at backup C.

Smart/IT4/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter/Daniels <----(NOT A BUM, CAN SHOOT. Keep on roster, maybe D-league)
Crowder/Jerebko
Sully/Lee/Mickey
First off I'm all for moving Lee, Turner and Zeller. I just think it is too early to deal Olynyk and Young.

You realize Al is in the last year of his contract then he becomes a free agent right? Giving up that many players for a guy who could bolt is a terrible idea. Not to mention that MJ showed us on draft night that he is trying to win right now, no way they deal Jefferson.

The team consistently performs better when he is out on the court. You might not like him but next time he plays pay attention to the score when he comes in and what it is when he comes out. The way he spaces the floor (or will once he shoots like he is capable of) there is no way he should be at the back of the depth chart.

If we trade Jerebko, and or Olynyk our spacing gets even worse which is why we have struggled to score.

You say that Daniels and Hansboro aren't bums but then you say they can both be waived or put in the d-league.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Much more than Big Al, I think the Celts would be improved by adding Nic Batum.  That's the guy I'd target.

I'm not really sure how much Big Al has left at this point.

David Lee, Evan Turner and the Minnesota pick for Nic Batum and Marvin Williams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about Lee, Young and the Philly 2nd (or some other future 2nd)  for Big Al and Brain Roberts. 

For the Celtics, it gives them an inside offensive threat they need.  It will help the team if they are in a playoff push.  It does nothing to harm the teams future flexibility. 

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Which of our big men could Big Al play next to without killing our defense or spacing?

Amir and Jerebko?  Pairing him with Sully or KO would just be way too slow-footed a frontcourt, and Zeller doesn't have the range or the ability to cover perimeter threats to make that work.

Batum has exactly what we need -- size, shooting, and ball-handling on the wing, plus playoff experience.  Like Big Al, he's an expiring.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Which of our big men could Big Al play next to without killing our defense or spacing?

Amir and Jerebko?  Pairing him with Sully or KO would just be way too slow-footed a frontcourt, and Zeller doesn't have the range or the ability to cover perimeter threats to make that work.

Batum has exactly what we need -- size, shooting, and ball-handling on the wing, plus playoff experience.  Like Big Al, he's an expiring.

And more likely, more expensive.  He is younger.  And they just added him to fit their new style of offense.

And he would be replacing Lee (at least in the trade I would want to try).  Who isn't quick.  Who isn't an outside shot threat.  Who isn't even an average defender.  Who isn't the offensive threat Big Al is. 

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Smart/IT4/Rozier
Crowder/Jerebko
Sully/Lee/Mickey
First off I'm all for moving Lee, Turner and Zeller. I just think it is too early to deal Olynyk and Young.

You realize Al is in the last year of his contract then he becomes a free agent right? Giving up that many players for a guy who could bolt is a terrible idea. Not to mention that MJ showed us on draft night that he is trying to win right now, no way they deal Jefferson.

The team consistently performs better when he is out on the court. You might not like him but next time he plays pay attention to the score when he comes in and what it is when he comes out. The way he spaces the floor (or will once he shoots like he is capable of) there is no way he should be at the back of the depth chart.

If we trade Jerebko, and or Olynyk our spacing gets even worse which is why we have struggled to score.

You say that Daniels and Hansboro aren't bums but then you say they can both be waived or put in the d-league.

1) The circumstances have changed with MKG getting injured. Its hard for MJ to sell Big Al on staying when the team won't be fighting for playoffs. That is why I believe MJ would be all for the move so long as he gets some value back.

I believe Jefferson would love to stay and finish his career with the team that drafted him. Trading for him indicates our passion to make the playoffs.

2) Lee, Turner, & Zeller actually does sound better to me. That would allow us the ability to include Olynyk & Young in another trade.

3) Olynyk has STRUGGLED thus far shooting. Sure he stretches the floor so guys like Isaiah can drive easier, but so can Jerebko and Sully if they're hitting their shots from the 3.

I'm going to give K.O the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to him having a bad start. Hopefully he'll turn it around.

K.O has to be effective offensively in order to compensate for his lackluster defense. Outside of Zeller, each of our other 3 bigs (4 if Jerebko is listed as a PF) provide something that Olynyk does not--whether its better defense, better rebounding, or both. 

CORRECTION: Olynyk should be 4th in the big man rotation, not 5th...due to his lack of defense and not enough rebounding.

Zeller should be 5th due to his inability to stretch the floor and rebound effectively in limited minutes.

4) I said Daniels isn't a bum because he's a good shooter. We can keep him since we'd only have 13 players. In the event we need a roster spot, he could be sent to the D-league--

Hansbrough is a bum and I could care less if we kept him or waived him. Its likely we'd keep him though if there's an open roster spot.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Much more than Big Al, I think the Celts would be improved by adding Nic Batum.  That's the guy I'd target.

I'm not really sure how much Big Al has left at this point.

David Lee, Evan Turner and the Minnesota pick for Nic Batum and Marvin Williams.

If MJ is willing to trade Batum I'd be all for it. I'd still sign either Jefferson or Horford in the offseason though. Big Al should be the easiest to make a pitch to..

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
How about Lee, Young and the Philly 2nd (or some other future 2nd)  for Big Al and Brain Roberts. 

For the Celtics, it gives them an inside offensive threat they need.  It will help the team if they are in a playoff push.  It does nothing to harm the teams future flexibility.

TP! I'd do it in a heartbeat!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:24:02 PM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Get BIG AL back home!

Why for CHA?

Why for BOS?

- He can block shots

Thoughts???

I like your idea of bringing Big Al home but I rather do it in a different way.  I rather wait for December 15 when Jerebko can be traded. 

I rather send Zeller, Olynyk, Jerebko and the 2nd rounder you mentioned.  The money work out for these 3 players for Big Al alone.  Olynyk and Jerebko both have this year and next, and they'd have both the Zellers together.  I rather keep Turner and Young if possible.

I purposely left Jerebko out of the trade proposal because I had Olynyk in the deal. We need players that can stretch the defense by shooting 3's. I'd keep Jerebko.

I like Lee & Turner or Lee & Young for Jefferson & Roberts

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

TP! I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Not bad.  I'd still like to hold on to Young for another year.  I suggested in another thread Lee and a lottery protected first for Jefferson.  If we got Thomas on a similar package I don't see why not the same for Jefferson.