Author Topic: Easy trade - Turner for Solomon Hill  (Read 3183 times)

Easy trade - Turner for Solomon Hill
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hill had a pretty good year last season.  Not the best athlete but has some good skills and works hard.  Good wingspan and strength. 

Pacers declined to pickup his option (which is a weird move if you ask me) and should not cost much to obtain.   Celtics can offer Turner to the Pacers (who knows the team/coach pretty much playing for them a few years back) and Celtics can get a young SF that has potential to be a decent player in the league.  Maybe like a Caron Butler if he reaches his peak.   I would throw in one of our many 2nds to make the deal work.

Thoughts?

Re: Easy trade - Turner for Solomon Hill
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
ET was not used the right way (they tried to exclusively make him a spot-up shooter) by Vogel. Don't think Vogel had much confidence in him for anything else. In addition, ET got into a slugfest with Sir Lance over friction between Hibbert and George at a practice just before the playoffs that the Pacers bombed out of. They won't want him back.

Plus, I'd like to keep ET. A lot of times he looks like the only player on the court with the presence to make plays. (I know that I'm in the minority on this board regarding keeping him.)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
ET was not used the right way (they tried to exclusively make him a spot-up shooter) by Vogel. Don't think Vogel had much confidence in him for anything else. In addition, ET got into a slugfest with Sir Lance over friction between Hibbert and George at a practice just before the playoffs that the Pacers bombed out of. They won't want him back.

Plus, I'd like to keep ET. A lot of times he looks like the only player on the court with the presence to make plays. (I know that I'm in the minority on this board regarding keeping him.)

ET may had have issues with hibbert and lance but I don't remember any conflict with George

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

ET may had have issues with hibbert and lance but I don't remember any conflict with George

No issues with Hibbert. Quite to the contrary. Allegedly, Sir Lance called out Hibbert for being ass-sore and pouting about George doing Hibberts girlfriend. This was at a practice during preparation for a playoff game. ET stood up for Hibbert, telling Sir Lance that wasn't the place for the discussion. Sir Lance , the classless act that he is, took exception to ET's opinion, and a bloody battle ensued.

I admire ET for this. I also admire him for not taking shots at that dysfunctional Pacers team when asked about it when he first became a Celtic.

The friction, as I said above, was between Hibbert and George, exacerbated by Sir Lance.

I really hope we keep ET.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I would not trade my worn out work boots for him

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It would be an easy trade if the salaries matched.  But Hill would need to make roughly $1 million more this year, otherwise the Pacers would need to include an extra player, which means the C's would need to drop a player, or find a third team with a trade exception or cap room to take on said player.  So it is in fact not an easy trade at all, and therefore there's no real point in considering it as such.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
So the Pacers would not only trade a player that supposedly has the upside of Caron Butler, who was an all-star in his prime, but they would trade him for a guy who they had before and failed horribly in their system two years ago?

What part of that trade sounds "easy"?

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The best passer and only player close to being able to play the point on the Celtics is Evan Turner.  Smart and IT are point guards in size only,  both have the handle but are lousy passers, the ball seldom finds the target in a useable fashion.  Trading Turner will be the same as tanking.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
So the Pacers would not only trade a player that supposedly has the upside of Caron Butler, who was an all-star in his prime, but they would trade him for a guy who they had before and failed horribly in their system two years ago?

honestly , Turner has no future with the Celtics.  Hill is bound to be a UFA after this season.

Hill can get playing time with the Celts. If the Pacers don't really care for Turner and will not play Hill much (at this point out of the rotation) , then a 2nd pick could entice them

It's that or lose Hill for nothing anyways. His worth right now is low, not bad to take a chance on the kid.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
2015 Hill highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4hi0PI9o0

per NBAdraft scouting

Solomon Hill

Versatile combination forward possessing full complement of mismatch tools ... Takes smaller defenders into the post where he has good footwork and quickness ... Punishes less agile bigs with solid handle and craftiness off the bounce- isolation aptitude with variety of spin, cross-over and hesitation moves ... Decisive and aggressive (4.5 fta) finding his way into the paint consistently ... Efficient scorer (50% fg) both within and outside of team offensive structure (12.9 ppg) ... Thrives on contact and is deceptively powerful in compact frame ... Soft touch, uses glass and angles effectively ... Old school style ... Three-pointer has become respectable weapon in his arsenal (1.1 makes, 39%), a statement that could not have been made in 2009 ... Rebounds as a result of instinct and battling (7.7 reb) ... A natural facilitator- skilled passer (2.6 ast) with legitimate court vision and feel ... Has made steady improvements each season, adding new dimensions and fine-tuning strengths that might have been a tad raw ... Deceptive fiurst step and solid crossover are hidden skills in his arsenal ...

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:56:52 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

honestly , Turner has no future with the Celtics.  Hill is bound to be a UFA after this season.

Hill can get playing time with the Celts. If the Pacers don't really care for Turner and will not play Hill much (at this point out of the rotation) , then a 2nd pick could entice them

It's that or lose Hill for nothing anyways. His worth right now is low, not bad to take a chance on the kid.

Why even trade a 2nd round pick for him if the Pacers don't see him as part of their future? Why not just take him off their hands?

You have to remember Solomon Hill had somewhat decent stats because the Pacers had nowhere else to turn because of George's injury. Also he was a borderline rotation player on a non-playoff team in a weak conference, and he played horribly in the summer league this year.

If Hill had the upside of a Caron Butler (an NBA all-star) or was even somewhat good to begin with, the Pacers wouldn't have declined the option. I trust their judgment. Plus we don't have to make a trade right now. Why don't we just wait until the off-season where we can get him without dealing anything? Heck, why don't we see how good our picks are going to be before we go out and get guys that are going to be cast offs from their team?

I'd rather keep the guy who is more proven then go after a future cast-off who "might" be good (Remember PJIII?). Remember we have an ocean of picks coming. We're more likely to get something valuable out of those picks than from Solomon Hill, who is currently not wanted by his team.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 06:32:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Solomon Hill is very similar Jae Crowder. A tough defender, solid rebounder and limited offensive player across the board. The Pacers have been very high on him over the last few years (as a defensive stopper & role player) and invested a lot of resources in him (time, coaching, playing opportunities). Hill has shown little improvement over that time and if Indiana are now ready to give up on him it is because they surely now have come to the conclusion that Hill is unable to improve his offensive game.

I see no reason to go after a 2nd Jae Crowder. 1 is enough.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We need some guys who can put it in the hole and not be duds on defense.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We need some guys who can put it in the hole and not be duds on defense.

Hill can do well in both areas. 

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Solomon Hill is very similar Jae Crowder. A tough defender, solid rebounder and limited offensive player across the board. The Pacers have been very high on him over the last few years (as a defensive stopper & role player) and invested a lot of resources in him (time, coaching, playing opportunities). Hill has shown little improvement over that time and if Indiana are now ready to give up on him it is because they surely now have come to the conclusion that Hill is unable to improve his offensive game.

I see no reason to go after a 2nd Jae Crowder. 1 is enough.

Hill is like a skilled version of crowder. More explosive also

Pacers getting budinger and with George now somewhat healthy, has put hill out of the rotation.  We can get him cheap