Author Topic: Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (1-3) Game #4 11/4/15  (Read 29446 times)

Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (1-3) Game #4 11/4/15
« on: November 03, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-2) at Indiana Pacers (1-3)
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #4, Road Game #1
TV: CSNNE, FSI, NBA-LP 750(DTV)/751(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 1070 The Fan
Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs George Hill

Shooting Guard

vs
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis

Small Forward
vs
Jae Crowder vs CJ Miles

Power Forward

vs
David Lee vs Paul George 

Center
vs
Tyler Zeller vs Ian Mahinmi

Celtics Reserves
Evan Turner
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
Jared Sullinger
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
Isaiah Thomas
James Young
Amir Johnson
Kelly Olynyk

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Avery Bradley (finger) probable

Pacers Reserves
Lavoy Allen
Chase Budinger
Rakeem Christmas
Jordan Hill
Solomon Hill
Rodney Stuckey
Miles Turner
Shayne Whittington
Joe Young 

Head Coach

Frank Vogel

Injuries

None

Game Notes
The Celtics face their first road test as they visit the Indiana Pacers.   The Pacers are winless but they are a dangerous team with George Hill, Monta Ellis, and Paul George who can all put up big numbers on any given night.  They shouldn't be taken lightly. 

The Celtics won the series 3 games to 1 last season, but the Pacers were without Paul George for the entire season and struggled with other key injuries throughout the season.   In spite of having some prolific scorers on their team, the Pacers have struggled to score in this young season, even more so than the Celtics have.  The Pacers are averaging just 92.7 points per game.

Both teams are relatively healthy.  Avery Bradley injured a finger at the end of the Celtics last game vs the Spurs but practiced in a limited role on Tuesday and is listed as probable for this game. The Pacers list no injuries.  The Pacers are playing on the second night of back to back games, having played on Tuesday night at Detroit where they got their first win of the season, beating Detroit 94-82. 

There has been much talk about whether it's time for the Celtics to change their starting lineup.  The Celtics starters have struggled to score and also to defend inside.  Jared Sullinger started the second half of the Spurs game and the second unit that finished that game almost pulled off a comeback but just fell short.  Although Brad Stevens has said he doesn't plan a change to the starting lineup, we may see a change, or he could stick with the lineup that started the first 3 games and give them a little more time to prove themselves. 

Key Matchups
vs
Marcus Smart vs George Hill
Hill has gotten off to a hot start in his first 3 games and is averaging 18.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals.  Marcus Smart's defense will be tested against Hill's offense. 

vs
David Lee vs Paul George
George is back on the court after a year off due to a gruesome leg injury that he suffered in the USA training camp.  In spite of balking at the request to play power forward this season, he is playing very well at that position, averaging 17.0 points, 7.7 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.7 steals.  He will be a tough matchup for David Lee. 

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis
Ellis is off to a relatively slow start averaging 10.0 points, 2.0 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.3 steals.  However, Ellis is a very capable scorer and could bust out at any time with a big game.  Avery needs to defend him well and hopefully, his slow streak will continue. 

Keys to the Game
Make Some Shots - The Celtics biggest problem so far has been their inability to score the ball.  They have all struggled and by the law of averages, someone is due to get hot soon.  They have missed 3's, mid range shots, bunnies, and free throws.   The Celtics are averaging 105.0 points per game but are shooting just 43% from the field and 26% from beyond the arc. 

Rebound - Especially if either team is struggling to make shots, the Celtics must crash the board.  They can't score without the ball and it will take extra effort on their part to grab the rebounds.  The Pacers are averaging just 37.3 rebounds per game compared to 41.3 rebounds per game for the Celtics.  The Celtics can't let that cause them to let up, however, and must be aggressive in going after rebounds.

Be Aggressive
-  I already mentioned that the Celtics must be aggressive on the boards, but they also must be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls,  and just all around going all out. They have to aggressively attack the basket. They need to start the game with that aggressive attitude and be aggressive through the whole game with no let up. The more aggressive team will usually get the benefit of the doubt from the refs as well.

Play Defense
-  Defense wins games. The Celtics need to tighten up their perimeter defense as they have allowed too many 3 pointers in the past two games.  The Pacers are shooting 35.7 from beyond the arc and so the Celtics have to close out on their outside shooters.  They also must play better defense in the paint as teams have been able to get easy shots there as well.  They have to make playing tough defense a priority.

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics have been turning the ball over too much.  They are averaging 16.7 turnovers per game and that is too many.  The Pacers are first in the league with 11.3 steals per game and so the Celtics must focus on making good passes and be aware of the Pacers ability to close out the passing lanes. 

X-Factors
Fatigue
The Celtics have a deeper roster than the Pacers, who are playing in back to back games.  They should look to keep fresh legs in there to run the Pacers and tire them out. 

Road Game - The Celtics are playing their first game on the road and it remains to be seen how they react to playing in a hostile atmosphere away from the Garden. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:53:44 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (0-3) Game #4 11/4/15
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
This is going to be a good game, both teams are floundering and need a win. I think it will be good for the Celtics to get away from the Garden for a game it might get their heads on straight.

Also, TP for the write-up!

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect the C's to go small to start the game, because there is no way David Lee can guard Paul George.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP for MrMorrill for being the first to post in the game thread!   Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
TP for the match preview, informative as ever.

Time for David Lee to drop to the bench, lest we give up another early lead.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Wow .....that pic of George Hill scared me for a sec ...like who dis monster ?  ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Ha .....Lee has about much chance guarding Paul George as I would MJ

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Ha .....Lee has about much chance guarding Paul George as I would MJ

Yeah, PF is an interesting position this year, but I don't know where else Lee can play.  During the Nets v Bucks game that we were all watching while cheering against BK, the announcers said that when Jabari Parker comes back, he's going to play at the 4 too.  There is all of a sudden so much athleticism there it will be brutal for Lee.  Can't wait for that $15,493,680 to come off the books at the end of the year.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline bdo3272

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Really looking forward to this matchup, but first, a couple things...

I hope the Celtics use their depth to utilize different matchups depending on who we are playing any given night. And with President Elect Stevens at the helm, I think it can be a real strength of this team. In this case, I think instead of starting Lee at PF, we should slide Crowder to PF as he can match up better with PG13 and give us a shot at containing him.

Secondly, I'd rather we sit Avery out for this one and maybe for a week or so. Listen, I know it was a "just a finger" and "just bent back a little" but those suckers swell up and the pain lingers. More importantly it could potentially cause AB to subconsciously overcompensate elsewhere. I was so happy at the way Avery was willing (and greatly improved) his 3 point shooting through the preseason and I don't want to take chance at some silly little injury at the start of the year be something that effects him, in even the slightest of ways, until game 82. We see it all the time, in all sports. Guys tough it out all year and at the end break down and admit, "Yeah, that ankle sprain DID cause me to hesitate to drive last year" (a recent Marcus Smart statement) or "Yeah, breaking my ribs in October DID make it harder to breathe throughout the regular season and tonight's Patriots Super Bowl victory" (a future Donta Hightower statement). I'd rather take a week without AB in November, than have his shooting percentage be down, even in the slightest, for the rest of the year. So please, let AB take a pass on this one and maybe the next one too. It's not like we don't have another 6 ft 3 in defense first pg/sg to take his place for a couple games.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:10:08 PM by bdo3272 »

Re: Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (1-3) Game #4 11/4/15
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This game is a must-win or we aren't what we are cracked up to be.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
This game is a must-win or we aren't what we are cracked up to be.

Yup

I kinda feel like that too.  Other that Amir and Sully ......the Starting bigs have been awful letdown so far .

Maybe KO ......finally gets going .   

I'm to the point ........I think Amir has to start with Sully .......they are starters ......Sully likes to start and I usually see him play n better . 
Come off,the bench with Zeller and KO ....IT and Hunter .......KO won't crowd Zeller ......KO stretches the floor better than Lee and Sully . They will be weak defensively , but maybe they can hang with most teams second units.

I'm sure no coach but that's the way I see it ........I might be wrong but I doubt it ..... :D

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Zeller will be replaced by a smaller player who can guard CJ Miles (with Crowder guarding Paul George).

Lee played much better when the floor was wide open earlier in his career, if he is going to break out of his funk and isn't washed up (like I think he is) then I think tonight is when we will see signs of that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Start the Swede, shift Crowder to guard George?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Itt'l be cool to see Turner play (not ET). I know a lot of people were high on him during the draft.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
AB may not play, some people are about to be very happy, I can only imagine how it will be WHEN we win.

Let's go Celts!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)