Author Topic: Can the Celtics pry Barnes or Iguadala from GSW?  (Read 1416 times)

Can the Celtics pry Barnes or Iguadala from GSW?
« on: October 31, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Either of these guys would be a very nice addition to the team right now.  Big help actually.

Trade ideas

To GSW: Smart, Zeller, Turner, 2015 or 2016 1st (protected in 2015), 2nd round pick
To Celtics: Thompson, Barnes (signed)

or

To GSW: Young, Zeller, Turner, 2015 or 2016 1st (protected in 2015), 2nd round pick
To Celtics: Iguadala

Re: Can the Celtics pry Barnes or Iguadala from GSW?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No sense for the GSW team to do any trade at this point.

This is the same team that posted historical numbers, and won a championship. And it looks like they picked on right where they left off. I think it's safe to say that unless it's a definitive upgrade, they won't trade any of their players.

Besides, if we want Barnes, we can just overpay for him next year.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:22:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The Warriors would laugh at the first one, and wouldn't do the second one.  No need to trade the finals mvp after the first week of the next season.
Also, the Celtics wouldn't do the second one due to Iguadala's age and the state of the Celtics roster.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:41:39 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
No

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The Warriors would laugh at the first one, and wouldn't do the second one.  No need to trade the finals mvp after the first week of the next season.
Also, the Celtics wouldn't do the second one due to Iguadala's age and the state of the Celtics roster.

Iguadala is in amazing shape and probably has another good 3-4 years in him

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

This is the same team that posted historical numbers, and won a championship. And it looks like they picked on right where they left off. I think it's safe to say that unless it's a definitive upgrade, they won't trade any of their players.

all good points. But they better be sure they can resign Barnes.  Or something has to give after this season

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:43:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think C's can land Barnes if they give up Young, Sully, Dallas first and C's own 2016 first. Can't see Warriors paying the max to Barnes this offseason.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The cap going up by a ton means the luxury tax threshold also goes up by a ton, therefore the Warriors will feel less financial pressure to deal either player and have more willingness to match an offer sheet for Barnes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 01:11:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So the first offer wouldn't be nearly enough for Thompson alone, and they're not trading either guy ... our Nets pick wouldn't make them blink.

I am for overpaying Barnes if it makes sense, I'm probably higher on him than most here. But I'm not sure if it does make sense right now -- this year's Nets pick could definitely land us a major SF prospect.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:40:12 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 02:50:01 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
So the reigning NBA champion, who is tearing it up right now and has shown no signs of slowing down, is going to give us their second best scorer, one of the best 2-way guards in the league AND their starting small forward who is yet to enter his prime for a 2nd-year guard who isn't quite ready for primetime, a rotation big (which they have plenty of), our back-up wing who isn't part of the long-term plan, and one of our picks who, if this deal was made, would probably be in the twenties. Take Thompson out of the deal and Golden State would still laugh.

The other deal is more fair, but why would the Celtics want Iguodala? Is he a pure wing and a good playmaker? Yes he is and I agree he would help, but his skills are diminishing and at this point is best served as a back-up playmaker/6th man like Golden State is using him now. Besides, the Celtics already have one of those. Isaiah Thomas, and on some nights, Evan Turner.

When you have a young team that looks like it's going to start a potential dynasty with the roster it has, you don't have to do anything drastic unless its for an upgrade (For example, I see Golden State being a darkhorse contender for Kevin Durant and that would cost them Barnes). In this case, there is no upgrade really in either deal for Golden State. They would get young talent but they already have plenty of that as it is. They also have all the leverage because Barnes is going to be a restricted free agent this summer. I know some have said the Dubs don't want to overpay Barnes, and I'm sure they don't, but they can, and since Barnes is only 23, they probably will. I'm sure OKC didn't want to pay Enes Kanter 4 years, $70 million, but they waited until someone else offered him that to give it to him. Unless the Warriors get someone better, I think Barnes is going to stay put, especially since the salary cap is going to skyrocket, and hence, the luxury tax won't be nearly as heavy.

Also the 2015 draft has already passed. All future picks are 2016 and onward.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

all good points. But they better be sure they can resign Barnes.  Or something has to give after this season

They have James Michael McAdoo who they are trying to develop as a replacement for HB. They also drafted Kevon Looney, who's in the same mold, except he's not as good a shooter, at least not yet.

They would love to retain Barnes, but they have all the reasons in the world not to resign him if he asks for a ridiculous price. Remember, Curry's contract comes up in 2017, they'd rather have whatever cap room they can have to resign him than resigning Barnes for a price they think is above his pay grade.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

They have James Michael McAdoo who they are trying to develop as a replacement for HB. They also drafted Kevon Looney, who's in the same mold, except he's not as good a shooter, at least not yet.

They would love to retain Barnes, but they have all the reasons in the world not to resign him if he asks for a ridiculous price. Remember, Curry's contract comes up in 2017, they'd rather have whatever cap room they can have to resign him than resigning Barnes for a price they think is above his pay grade.
Bogut and Iggie also 2017 I think. It's all about the picks. If Warriors can score some good ones they may deal him. If they wait till sign and trade in offseason an expiring deal may be wanted/needed (JJ/AJ?).

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Either of these guys would be a very nice addition to the team right now.  Big help actually.

Trade ideas

To GSW: Smart, Zeller, Turner, 2015 or 2016 1st (protected in 2015), 2nd round pick

or

To GSW: Young, Zeller, Turner, 2015 or 2016 1st (protected in 2015), 2nd round pick
This is bizarre. You talk like you are concerned that GS might not want to part with Barnes or Iguodala, and then you throw in Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson has more value than both of them combined. He would require multiple firsts along with a good prospect.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Crowder is signed to the Contract that they wished Barnes would've signed 2 years ago. If Barnes has played his way out of their price range they could do much worse than Crowder and an assett. Especially since Crowder might just be a better fit for the role that they want from him.

And hey Barnes and DA can raise a nice glass of sparkling cider when they sign his extension(I kid but honestly the fact that DA and Barnes don't drink could actually help HB feel better about signing long term in Boston knowing the man in charge shares one of his core values)

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Trade ideas

or

This is bizarre. You talk like you are concerned that GS might not want to part with Barnes or Iguodala, and then you throw in Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson has more value than both of them combined. He would require multiple firsts along with a good prospect.

I'm guessing that is Jason Thompson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference