Author Topic: Spurs (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game #3 11/1/15  (Read 34202 times)

Spurs (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game #3 11/1/15
« on: October 31, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
San Antonio Spurs (1-1) at Boston Celtics (1-1)
Sunday, November 1, 2015
3:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #3 Home Game #3
TV: CSN-NE, FSSW, NBA-LP 753(DTV)/752,754(Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WOAI 1200 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Marcus Smart
SG:  Avery Bradley
SF:  Jae Crowder
PF:  David Lee
C:   Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves

Evan Turner
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
Jared Sullinger
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
Isaiah Thomas
James Young
Amir Johnson
Kelly Olynyk
RJ Hunter

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
None

Probable Starters
PG SG SF  PF C
PG: Tony Parker
SG:  Danny Green
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Tim Duncan

Spurs Reserves

Patty Mills
Matt Bonner
Manu Ginobili
Boris Diaw
Kyle Anderson
David West
Rasual Butler
Ray McCallum
Boban Marjanovic
Jonathon Simmons

Head Coach

Gregg Popovich

Injuries
None

Game Notes
The Spurs make their only visit to the Garden with both teams looking for their 2nd win of the season.  The Spurs lost their opener to the OKC Thunder on the road and then did the Celtics a favor by beating the Nets at home. 

The Spurs won the season series last season 2-0 and lead the all time series 47-38.  With their victory over the Nets, the trio of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili tied the Celtics trio of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish for wins by a trio of teammates with 540 wins together. 

This is the Celtics 3rd straight home game to start the season.  The Spurs have played one on the road, one at home and now are on the road once again for the first of a 3 game road trip that will also take them to New York for back to back games and then to Washington for the 3rd game in 4 nights.  The Celtics will play their first road game on Wednesday in Indiana. 

Key Matchups 
  vs   
Jae Crowder vs Kawhi Leonard
Leonard had become a star for the Spurs.  He leads the team in both points (24ppg) and rebounds (9rpg).  Jae's defense will be tested as he tries to slow down the Spurs top player.

vs 
David Lee vs LaMarcus Aldridge
If Stevens sticks with the same starters,  David Lee will have his hands more than full trying to slow Aldridge down.  Aldridge is averaging 10.5 points, 8 rebounds and 2.5 assists.  We may see an early entrance for Sully or Olynyk if Aldridge is feasting on Lee's defense. 

Honorable Mention
Isaiah Thomas vs Manu Ginobili
In these two, we have a battle of the super subs.  Neither is known for their lockdown defense but Isaiah gives up a few inches to Ginobili, who has lost a step or two since his prime but is still averaging 11.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound - The Celtics were out-rebounded 53-38 in their last game.  They can't score if they don't have the ball, and they will struggle when constantly giving up second and third chance points.  The Celtics are averaging 41 rebounds per game while the Spurs are averaging 46 rebounds per game. 

Take Care of the Ball
-  The Celtics turned the ball over 17 times vs the Raptors and they have to take better care of the ball if they hope to have a chance against the Spurs.  The Celtics are averaging 17 turnovers while the Spurs are averaging 15.5 turnovers per game.  The Celtics have to be more careful with their passes and take better care of the ball. 

Defense - The Celtics have said they are making defense their priority this season and that is a good thing since defense wins championships.   They especially need to tighten up their their perimeter defense as they allowed the Raptors to shoot better than 42% from beyond the arc.  The Spurs have some scorers on their team and so the Celtics must lock down on defense if they want to get a win.

Make some Baskets - The Celtics couldn't buy a basket at times during their loss to the Raptors.  As a team, they shot just 37.6% from the field, 26.9% from beyond the arc and a paltry 78% from the line.  They need to keep their focus and hit their shots.  The Spurs are a good defensive team and so the Celtics must be smart in moving the ball and in running on offense to get good shots off before the defense gets set. 

X-Factors
Pride - The Celtics did not play very well against the Raptors and their Celtic Pride should kick in and help them to give this game a better effort. 

Home Game - The Celtics are once again at home where they should get a boost from the home crowd and from the familiarity of their home court. 

Coaching
- Gregg Popovich is considered by many to be the best coach in the league.  Brad Stevens is considered to be the best young coach in the league and the heir apparent to Popovich's crown.  Matchups and coaching strategy will come into play in this game.

Re: Spurs (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game #3 11/1/15
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Time to go 2-1.

TP FLCELTS...thorough job as usual. Like the parking decals.

LMA and Duncan....scary duo.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hopefully we see a change in the starting frontcourt, because I do NOT like the idea of having Lee and Zeller guarding Duncan and Aldridge down low.

TP for another awesome game thread!

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP csfansince60s for being the first to post in the game thread!! 
Gooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »

Offline CLNS_Nick

• CLNS Chat Mod
  • Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
  • Founder | Co-Owner of CLNS Radio
Celtics Stuff Live, Justin Poulin Returns TODAY: Celtics vs Spurs Post Game Show. Here's the link: http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/12764-celtics-stuff-live-justin-poulin-returns-today-celtics-vs-suns-post-game-show

Just wanted to alert our friends at CelticsBlog. Oh! and Celtics Beat Larry H. Russell is co hosting.  8)
Please check out our work at www.clnsradio.com. You can find the Celtics Post Game Podcast there & other original content about Boston sports teams. I'm also the co-host of the Pop-Culture Podcast, Beats & Eats. Follow me on Twitter - @CLNS_Nick & Facebook - www.facebook.com/nick.gelso

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
This should be an easy win !

For the Spurs :'(

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Honestly I kind of want to see Sully and Amir start this game. I think you need toughness at the frontcourt positions in the starting lineup especially against a team like the Spurs. And yes I know just a few weeks ago it'd be comical to call Sully a tough defender but he has been holding his own far better than our other options.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
They have like five super stars.....to our NONE .....SMH

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's hard to hate the Spurs because they seem to do things the right way and are an all aroud class act. But ever sense they got Duncan when we had a better shot at him it just seems like they have caught all the breaks.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This could be rough they aren't as deep as they once were though maybe we can tire them out and catch them slipping in this early game
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Excited to see the Spurs play. I haven't seen them with Aldridge yet.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Outmanned at every position save for maybe the end of the rotation and SA is relatively fresh since its early in season..  If the Spurs want the game, they'll win.  I'll focus instead on how they're integrating Lee into the offense, whether they can get anything inside and whether the Celtics defense at this point in the season, can at least, at times, take the Spurs out of their rhythm.

Your only hope in a game like this is to shoot lights out from long range.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Toronto was a good measuring stick for where we could be right now.  Spurs are a good measuring stick for where we'd like to wind up.  It helps that it's a matinee early in the season, but it still seems unlikely we'll take this one.  If we can show the defensive effort we saw in spurts on Friday and play a LOT smarter on O we might have a shot, though.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Call me crazy but I see us winning this game

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Same starting lineup apparently. Brad says he "doesn't want to overreact to one game." I'm not sure how I feel about that. We'll see if Duncan and LMA change his mind about "overreacting."