Author Topic: Cash in Picks for...?  (Read 1335 times)

Cash in Picks for...?
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I dunno if you guys play NBA 2k but I came across an interesting scenario as the C's GM and I wanna get your thoughts on it:

I played a full season (lots of simulation involved) and got the C's to the 5th seed, where I lost again in the 1st round to the Miami Heat in 7 games. Come offseason, apparently both the Mavs and the Nets were both terrible and I somehow lucked into the 3rd pick (Mavs), the 8th pick (Nets), and the 17th pick (Celtics).

Now, despite Brad Stevens asking me to trade up to try get the #1 pick, I cashed #3 + #8 + Hayward (acquired in an earlier IT4 trade because I wanted to open up more minutes for Smart) and traded for Paul George (in-game intel says that Pacers are 'selling', and they want to rebuild with some good picks). In unrelated news, I then traded Crowder and a 2nd rounder for Faried.

If this somehow happened in real life, what would you guys want DA to do next offseason?

- LilRip

Re: Cash in Picks for...?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I would want him to trade for tons of protected picks since he apparently has the ability to remove them (the Mavs pick is top 7 protected)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
I would want him to trade for tons of protected picks since he apparently has the ability to remove them (the Mavs pick is top 7 protected)

Fine. Then let's assume it was the BKN pick that was #3 and the Mavs pick that was #8.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I can tell you what I wouldn't want Danny to do, which is trade #3, #8 and Heyward for Paul George.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Nerlens Noel is my target

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can tell you what I wouldn't want Danny to do, which is trade #3, #8 and Heyward for Paul George.
exactly. that and trade Crowder and a second for Faried.

#3 and #8 -- particularly in this draft should easily land Noel in a deal -- overpayment perhaps.  Keep Hayward instead of trading for PG. 

Also question the need to trade IT to get Smart minutes.  Smart's already starting and showing he can produce at any time in the game.  If trading IT, get a center or a better SF than Hayward (who I see as ok --  Jeff Green-lite)

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

#3 and #8 -- particularly in this draft should easily land Noel in a deal -- overpayment perhaps.  Keep Hayward instead of trading for PG. 

Also question the need to trade IT to get Smart minutes.  Smart's already starting and showing he can produce at any time in the game.  If trading IT, get a center or a better SF than Hayward (who I see as ok --  Jeff Green-lite)

really? Noel? I get that he's young but it seems like he's destined to be a defensive star while being very poor on the offensive end. Meanwhile, PG is already a two-way star.

- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I would love George I this team, but I think we would need to save some chips if we have enough for other shoe to drop with another star.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

really? Noel? I get that he's young but it seems like he's destined to be a defensive star while being very poor on the offensive end. Meanwhile, PG is already a two-way star.
If I've already got Hayward, I'm not sending him, #3 and #8 for PG.  Keep Hayward and get Noel to fill 2 slots on the floor with improved players.  Personally, I think Noel will be a solid defensive center and might get to a point of averaging 8 pt a game later in his career so I think that #3 and #8 in this draft is likely an overpay based on the current hype of players expected to be available. 

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline Dwnflfan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I dunno if you guys play NBA 2k but I came across an interesting scenario as the C's GM and I wanna get your thoughts on it:

I played a full season (lots of simulation involved) and got the C's to the 5th seed, where I lost again in the 1st round to the Miami Heat in 7 games. Come offseason, apparently both the Mavs and the Nets were both terrible and I somehow lucked into the 3rd pick (Mavs), the 8th pick (Nets), and the 17th pick (Celtics).

Now, despite Brad Stevens asking me to trade up to try get the #1 pick, I cashed #3 + #8 + Hayward (acquired in an earlier IT4 trade because I wanted to open up more minutes for Smart) and traded for Paul George (in-game intel says that Pacers are 'selling', and they want to rebuild with some good picks). In unrelated news, I then traded Crowder and a 2nd rounder for Faried.

If this somehow happened in real life, what would you guys want DA to do next offseason?

Resign  :P

Seriously though, the #3 & #8 in this years draft netted Jahlil Okafor & Stanley Johnson.  Add Hayward to that and I'd call that an overpay for George who is undoubtedly a great player.  To combine everything you traded IT4, Crowder, the #3, the #8, a 2nd rounder & approximately $10-11 million in cap space for George and Faried.  That's not a deal I would say yes to.  PLUS you p---ed of Brad Stevens!!!   ;D

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let me respond to this by just saying:

The AI for trades and team building in NBA 2K is really, really silly.  Super dooper silly.

There's no way to plausibly manage a team over multiple seasons in that game.  Everything just gets really crazy really quickly.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

The AI for trades and team building in NBA 2K is really, really silly.  Super dooper silly.

There's no way to plausibly manage a team over multiple seasons in that game.  Everything just gets really crazy really quickly.

Well, yes. Which is why this isn't being framed as an NBA 2k question. If you had #3, 8, 17 and the C's roster of today (don't mind my own little machinations) in the next offseason, what would you do? Draft 3 1st rounders? Trade for somebody?

- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

Resign  :P

Seriously though, the #3 & #8 in this years draft netted Jahlil Okafor & Stanley Johnson.  Add Hayward to that and I'd call that an overpay for George who is undoubtedly a great player.  To combine everything you traded IT4, Crowder, the #3, the #8, a 2nd rounder & approximately $10-11 million in cap space for George and Faried.  That's not a deal I would say yes to.  PLUS you p---ed of Brad Stevens!!!   ;D

Well, my PS4 crashed (why, I don't know). I thought I lost all my saved progress but fortunately, I was able to pick up from the draft and not have to do all the staff signing again. Eventually, this is what happened:
1) #3, 17 & Hayward for PG (I still did it. I think the gulf between PG and Hayward is significant. Plus, I want a real star on the team)
2) #8 & PJIII (he's on the team while Mickey isn't, for some reason) for Favors

I still have Crowder although he's been pretty p---ed since last season since I made him come off the bench behind Hayward. This is pretty much why I've been wanting to trade him, and will likely still look to trade him in my upcoming season. As much as I want to keep him, his low morale demolishes his stats, including his D :(

- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 12:06:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Well, yes. Which is why this isn't being framed as an NBA 2k question. If you had #3, 8, 17 and the C's roster of today (don't mind my own little machinations) in the next offseason, what would you do? Draft 3 1st rounders? Trade for somebody?

Sorry, I just got to the point where you traded IT for Gordon Hayward and then traded a couple picks for Paul George and then I couldn't think of any other way to respond.

To answer your question -- it'd depend on how I felt about the top of the draft.

If there was a guy at pick #1 or #2 who I thought was a clear cut franchise player prospect, I'd look into trading the picks to move up a couple spots.

If I felt more or less the same about picks 1-3, I'd look into trading #8 and #17, along with other assets, for either Nerlens Noel (if the Sixers are interested in trading him), or another top 5 pick.

Basically, I'd be thrilled to have a pick in the top 5 and another in the top 10, and I'd want to try and get a couple of young franchise player prospects out of it and build around 'em.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain