Author Topic: Just for fun, your best attempt at an Anthony Davis trade.  (Read 2418 times)

Re: Just for fun, your best attempt at an Anthony Davis trade.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I'll try to keep my future posts up to your standards.

Would you? That would be nice. Thank you.

Can you fetch my slippers while you're at it?

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Anthony Davis is not the best player in the league. Let's pump the brakes a little and let the guy continue to grow before prematurely annointing him when he hasn't actually yet accomplished anything of significant note in the league.

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'll try to keep my future posts up to your standards.

Would you? That would be nice. Thank you.

Can you fetch my slippers while you're at it?

I'm not sure if this means I wrote that one better or not.  :P

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Anthony Davis is not the best player in the league. Let's pump the brakes a little and let the guy continue to grow before prematurely annointing him when he hasn't actually yet accomplished anything of significant note in the league.

Eh, I think you're slamming on the brakes a little bit hard here.

Davis carried a pretty crappy team into the playoffs in the West last year.  That right there is a pretty significant accomplishment.

The only thing that stops me from calling him the best two-way player in the league right now is that he hasn't been able to turn the Pelicans into a better than mediocre defensive team.  He's obviously spectacular on defense, and it's probably because his teammates are horrible at defense, but that is a little bit mystifying. 

Still, we haven't seen a big man like Davis since Garnett and Duncan in their primes.  He's carried his team to wins, too.  It's not like we're talking about Kevin Love in Minnesota here.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The next 4-5 years of Anthony Davis' service to your team are the most valuable commodity in the NBA. He might not be the best today, but he is worth the highest price.

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Eh, I think you're slamming on the brakes a little bit hard here.

Davis carried a pretty crappy team into the playoffs in the West last year.  That right there is a pretty significant accomplishment.

The only thing that stops me from calling him the best two-way player in the league right now is that he hasn't been able to turn the Pelicans into a better than mediocre defensive team.  He's obviously spectacular on defense, and it's probably because his teammates are horrible at defense, but that is a little bit mystifying. 

Still, we haven't seen a big man like Davis since Garnett and Duncan in their primes.  He's carried his team to wins, too.  It's not like we're talking about Kevin Love in Minnesota here.

He carried them to a playoff spot on the strength of a tiebreaker over OKC when Westbrook missed 15 games. As soon as he carries a team to the top of the West standings, a la 2014 Durant, makes a team into an automatic Finals contender a la LeBron, and/or has years of sustained excellence that actually translates into team success like those two, then sure, make the case. Until then, absolutely not. He has the potential to be the best player in the league; he is not there yet.

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think people confuse "best asset in the league" (definitely) with "best player" (not yet but seems likely).

I'd argue that the active roster LeBron carried through the playoffs was comparable if not even a bit worse than the roster Davis carried into them, too.

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why hurry? Build a culture first... bring in some good picks... and then think of trades... there is a possibility that you could have jaylen brown harry giles and ayton from the next 3 drafts

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think people confuse "best asset in the league" (definitely) with "best player" (not yet but seems likely).

I'd argue that the active roster LeBron carried through the playoffs was comparable if not even a bit worse than the roster Davis carried into them, too.

From a talent perspective I'd agree with you, but the biggest problem with the Pelicans is not talent but fit.  The guys they've got around him just don't compliment him particularly well.  He'd probably be better off with a less talented team of role players with clearly defined skills that can play off of him.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd rather break the piggy bank for a long-term, top-ranked franchise player like Elfrid Payton.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'd rather break the piggy bank for a long-term, top-ranked franchise player like Elfrid Payton.

8)
- Mark Twain