Author Topic: Just for fun, your best attempt at an Anthony Davis trade.  (Read 2420 times)

Re: Just for fun, your best attempt at an Anthony Davis trade.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, since we are on Celticsblog...

Olynik, Turner, Young, Sullinger, Jerebko, MN 2016 pick (protected for the first round)

Here's how I value it:

On a scale of 1-10, Davis is clearly a 10.

Olynik is about a 3, Turner is a 2, Young is a 2, Sullinger about a 2, Jerebko about a 3. That MN pick is worth about 1. Thus, we're giving away 13 points and receiving 10.

Before you start complaining that we're giving away too much, remember that Davis might have all-star potential and we really should give them a couple of PFs to pick up the slack.

Mike

You're gonna get some naysayers who call this wildly unrealistic, but I say they're the ones living in a fantasy land.  If you have a dollar bill, and I offer you 4 quarters AND a dime AND a nickel for it, they'd say you were ripping me off.  But use that simple commonsense logic in a trade idea and somehow it's totally the opposite.  It defies logic.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

Olynik, Turner, Young, Sullinger, Jerebko, MN 2016 pick (protected for the first round)

Here's how I value it:

Olynik is about a 3, Turner is a 2, Young is a 2, Sullinger about a 2, Jerebko about a 3. That MN pick is worth about 1. Thus, we're giving away 13 points and receiving 10.

Before you start complaining that we're giving away too much, remember that Davis might have all-star potential and we really should give them a couple of PFs to pick up the slack.

Mike

You're gonna get some naysayers who call this wildly unrealistic, but I say they're the ones living in a fantasy land.  If you have a dollar bill, and I offer you 4 quarters AND a dime AND a nickel for it, they'd say you were ripping me off.  But use that simple commonsense logic in a trade idea and somehow it's totally the opposite.  It defies logic.

Thank you. I'm glad to see pure logic instead of emotions rule the day at CB. I am concerned, though, that Davis didn't look too great last night. Maybe I should take the Minnesota picks out of the trade?

Mike

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Here's how I value it:

Mike

Thank you. I'm glad to see pure logic instead of emotions rule the day at CB. I am concerned, though, that Davis didn't look too great last night. Maybe I should take the Minnesota picks out of the trade?

Mike

I think you've gotta offer some kind of pick, but it'd be totally reasonable to top-55 protect it. 

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Give up the whole team and start a rebuild through him!! Im sure players will be more enticed to grab a team friendly contract!  ;D

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Here's how I value it:

Mike

It's a dumb trade and it's based on a very faulty assumption.

You can only have 5 players on the court and 15 on the roster. Because you are dealing with a finite set of minutes and roster spots, quality outweighs quantity for calculation purposes. Sure, 1000 scrubs could beat Larry Bird in his prime if they all played at once, but for NBA purposes he was worth more than all of them put together.

So go recalculate the value of those players as it relates to:

(1) Who they would be replacing
(2) The minutes they would be playing vs those they would replace
(3) The increase of the team's win percentage by those minutes
(4) The difficulty of acquiring similar players (or assets)
(5) The value of those players in attracting other free agents, marketing value, star power, television and other media exposure and so forth

Once you've done that, then come back and try to tell me that's anywhere near a fair trade.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Call the Pelicans and make a strong offer. Wait for the refusal. Place horse head in owner's bed. Get A Davis.

It is the only way

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What is his outgoing salary in a trade, like $13ish?  I see he has the poison pill thing...
Anyways, here's a three way with Wizards---

Celts get Davis

Wizards get:  Ryan Anderson, Marcus Smart, James Young, 2016 Celts first, 2016 Phil 2nd, & the 2017 BK 1st round pick swap

Pelicans get:  John Wall, Olynyk, Zeller, Jordan Mickey, 2016 BK first, 2016 Dal first, 2018 BK first

Wizards get a nice refresh package that includes three very good picks, 2 firsts and an early 2nd. Pel's get three firsts overall, including the treasured BK picks; three solid young bigs, and an All Star pg.  The C's go on to win the title with Brad Stevens new rotation:
Rozier, Thomas
AB,  Turner
Crowder,  Jerebko
Lee,  Sully
Davis,  Johnson

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
My left Kidney and my first born

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Here's how I value it:

Mike

Your logic is flawed. Those quarters and dimes are a lot more replaceable through the draft and free agency then that dollar. You might not end up with as many quarters or dimes or their value might be two dimes instead of a quarter. BTW, using money is silly to compare NBA trades. But the point is, you can regain some lost value for those lost players pretty easily.

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Every single player from our team that the Pelicans want and all of our draft picks until year 20xx (decided by the Pelicans).
That would also be a good way to fix Danny's "problem" regarding our draft picks ::) lol
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Here's how I value it:

Mike

You can only have 5 players on the court and 15 on the roster. Because you are dealing with a finite set of minutes and roster spots, quality outweighs quantity for calculation purposes. Sure, 1000 scrubs could beat Larry Bird in his prime if they all played at once, but for NBA purposes he was worth more than all of them put together.

(5) The value of those players in attracting other free agents, marketing value, star power, television and other media exposure and so forth

Once you've done that, then come back and try to tell me that's anywhere near a fair trade.

Reread his posts and mine but pretend this was prominently featured in both:   :P :P :P :P

Because we're both just poking fun at that kind of logic that shows up here a lot.  Heck he even said we could be giving up too much but Davis "might have All-Star potential".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:37:04 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Here's how I value it:

Mike

Reread his posts and mine but pretend this was prominently featured in both:   :P :P :P :P

Because we're both just poking fun at that kind of logic that shows up here a lot.  Heck he even said we could be giving up too much but Davis "might have All-Star potential".

Sarcasm doesn't come through very well when it's written poorly.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Here's how I value it:

Mike

Sarcasm doesn't come through very well when it's written poorly.

I'll try to keep my future posts up to your standards. 

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Here's a question I'd like for everyone to ponder.

Would you offer one of our 17 titles to NOP for Anthony Davis? If so, which one. 

;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Anthony Tolliver, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Joel Anthony

for

Pat Connaughton and Ed Davis
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain