Author Topic: Trade Idea: Celtics/Bulls/Grizzlies  (Read 5414 times)

Trade Idea: Celtics/Bulls/Grizzlies
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
So Joakim Noah is coming off the bench for Chicago this season (Mirotic & Gasol are starting). With Gibson & Portis also available off the bench, I think the Bulls have enough depth at PF/C to warrant a Noah trade.

The Grizzlies are in need of a backup PF to play behind Zach Randolph.   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my idea:

TO BOS: Noah, Jarnell Stokes (waived or D-League), Memphis 2016 1st round pick (protected for selections 6-14)

TO CHI: Bradley, Zeller, Russ Smith (waived), 845.1K TPE (from Jon Leur trade)

TO MEM: Sullinger, Bairstow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why for Boston?

We replace good defense with more good defense. Noah would become our defensive anchor along with Smart & Crowder. He would blend well with Smart & Crowder because they are also pride themselves on the defensive end and bring a high level of intensity.

We get another 2016 pick that will likely be a late 1st rounder. This gives us something in return for Sully.

Instead of re-signing Sully & Zeller next offseason, we can just focus on re-signing Noah.

Although Bradley's contract isn't bad, we get him off the books--giving us even more cap space for the future

Why for CHI?

Avery Bradley will help their defense in the backcourt. The Bulls could opt to either keep Snell in the starting lineup or Bench him for Bradley. If Bradley enter the starting lineup, Butler moves to the 3.

They get another Center in Zeller who can be the 4th or 5th big in rotation depending on how great Portis plays when given minutes. Ultimately, they could choose to re-sign Zeller or simply let him walk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why for Memphis?

Memphis' frontcourt consists of Marc Gasol, a 34 year old Zach Randolph, and Brandan Wright. Their rookie Jarell Martin is injured. JaMychal Green can play SF/PF. Sully could get a good 25-30 minutes a night playing for the Grizzlies.

Z-Bo would be a GREAT mentor to Sully (same height & around the same weight and plays bully ball)

Re: Trade Idea: Celtics/Bulls/Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
At first glance this is actually a pretty decent trade. I'm not sure Memphis is getting enough here, but kudos to you sir. TPs all around!

PS - not sure I'd do it if I were Ainge but it would be something to seriously consider.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not a bad trade, although we are giving up three very decent pieces for a much older one. It certainly becomes a win-now move, but it certainly limits our back court depth.

Also, isn't the reason we are getting the 2019 Memphis first (Jeff Green trade) because they don't have other picks to give? I should probably just look it up, but I thought there were restrictions on their picks until 2019.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I guess this deal is ok. The only way I think a deal like this makes sense is if Rozier and/or Hunter play well enough in the time they eventually get that they make Bradley expendable.

I feel like there is a way we could get Noah without giving up Bradley. Noah is a free agent after the year so I don't think his price is terribly high. He only played 17 minutes last night, so if the Bulls decide that is all they are going to consistently play him then it makes sense for Chicago to deal him before he leaves next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think the Celtics give up too much.  And not enough future potential coming back.  The Celtics aren't ready to start adding final pieces of the puzzle unless the piece is a real star...

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
So: Bradley, Zeller, and Sullinger for Noah and a pick in the 20s?

I think I pass. Just not enough of a return. If you can get a 2020 unprotected pick from Memphis, I MAY do it. Just because  5 years from now there's likelihood that could be a bad team, but I still need to think heavily about it.

However, if this is a supplemental trade at the deadline if we brought in a Melo, PGIII, etc. I probably will do it.

I feel like there is a way we could get Noah without giving up Bradley. Noah is a free agent after the year so I don't think his price is terribly high. He only played 17 minutes last night, so if the Bulls decide that is all they are going to consistently play him then it makes sense for Chicago to deal him before he leaves next year.

Don't forget he injured his knee, that's probably the reason he didn't play in the late 3rd or 4th quarter.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Noah just doesn't stay healthy enough to give up Zeller, Sully and AB for. Even if you add a pick Noah isn't worth it. 3 years ago maybe you take that gamble. Now though with his health and soon to be a FA, no way.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Wirh brdley sully and zeller you could get love...

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
@Granath: Thanks. Btw, I think Memphis is getting more than enough. They get Sully in exchange for a draft pick which is likely to be in the early to mid 20's. We drafted Sully at 21.

@jambr380: Without Bradley we still have Turner, Smart, Rozier, Hunter, & Young who can all share minutes at SG. Without Bradley, Thomas becomes the starter along with Smart. Rozier and Hunter would be their backups.

Memphis owes its 2016 pick to Denver if it falls between 6-14 (protected 1-5 & 15-30). Memphis is a playoff team so they'll keep the pick. I believe all Memphis has to do is offer us their 2016 pick with reverse protections (protected 6-14) and its more than likely ours.

@Evantime34: I think Rozier and Hunter are worthy of more minutes. Hunter has the best jump shot on the team, and Rozier can probably light it up if given more opportunities.

We probably could offer less: Bradley makes salaries match easier. We likely could offer Turner, Zeller, and Jerebko which would keep Chicago with a flexible roster going into the offseason next year.

Ultimately, I'm only hesitant to make this trade if think it's likely Bradley could be part of a bigger package for a guy like DeRozan, Hayward, Gallinari, Cousins, etc.

@wiley: The way I see it is we're giving up Sully for a pick in the 20's, Bradley and Zeller for Noah. We need scorers. Although Avery is a decent scorer, I'm thinking BIG PICTURE. We have enough depth at SG to make this deal. We have the Brooklyn & Dallas picks which could both end up being lottery picks. We have our own pick, the Minny pick (likely two 2nds), and a plethora of 2nd round picks as well. Bradley's replacement is either 1) already on the team, 2) coming in another trade, 3) is in the 2016 draft, or 4) is in 2016 Free Agency.

With defensive anchors like Smart, Crowder, & Noah, and most likely a successful draft coming up, free agents might give Boston a hard look in 2016. No time is better than the present to continue building our "defense-first" culture. Noah would be a great fit.

Our bigs going into the 2016 offseason would be Lee, Noah, KO, Amir, Jerebko, & Mickey. We could go after FAs like Horford or Big Al and let guys like Lee and Jerebko walk (decline Jerebko's team option for year 2 of his deal).

@JohnBoy65: I don't think Memphis would be willing to part with a 2020 pick unless its lottery protected.

This year in the draft I wanted Portis but I knew we wouldn't get him because we already had 2 young big men in Sullinger & Olynyk. Portis slid to CHI at 22. Good guys are available in the 20s. TBH our depth is the only reason why I can stomach getting a pick in the 20's for Sully.

Csfan1984: Noah averaged 30 minutes in regular season. He played 67 games in 2014-2015. As long as he's healthy for playoffs I'm ok with that. More minutes for Amir, Lee, Olynyk, & Jerebko. Most likely we call up Mickey from the D-league as well.

I think the fact that Noah would bring more rim protection, rebounding, defensive intensity, and intimidation factor to the team outweighs his minor health problems. He's always a factor in the post season when it matters. If he was a Spur, he would've been well rested. Unfortunately, he played for coach Thibs.

What player are we giving up that makes it too much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling where we disagree is the notion that Avery Bradley is expendable?

The only way I exclude Avery from this deal is if I think he's a key factor in landing a bigger fish...For example: BRADLEY, Olynyk, & Turner & 2 picks (one late 1st & one 2nd) for DeRozan.

In that case I'd still offer Jerebko, Zeller, another filler (Young?) for Noah. Young would give them a little incentive to do the deal, especially if they're afraid they'll lose Noah in FA.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Sarcasm? If it were that easy, it'd already be done.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We were a couple late three pointers away from Love having a pretty awful opening night. I guess we can hope that he struggles (while Thompson shines) and CLE would feel comfortable dealing him for a similar package of players and a couple of picks (not the 2016 BKN one).

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

We were a couple late three pointers away from Love having a pretty awful opening night. I guess we can hope that he struggles (while Thompson shines) and CLE would feel comfortable dealing him for a similar package of players and a couple of picks (not the 2016 BKN one).

Sounds a bit more logical. Love's ability to stretch the floor is what differentiates him from Thompson. Anything (mostly) is possible though with the assets we have, so I'm not one to disagree. 

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No brainer for Boston. I do this all day everyday and twice on sunday 101 times out of 100.

No way Chicago lets Noah go.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not in a million years.

Noah is showing some obvious signs of major decline.  He declined in a HUGE way last year, and he didn't even get a start in the Bull's first regular season game (he played like, 18 minutes). 

Looking at how much he has declined on BOTH ends of the floor to this point, Noah is barely an upgrade over Amir Johnson. That's if he is even an upgrade at all. 

To add to that we already have the Nets and Mavs picks in 2016, which will take up two roster spots and will likely be be top 15 (i.e. more valuable than the Grizzlies pick).  That means the pick adds little value, as we can't likely find the roster space to add three rookies next year.

I'd honestly much rather keep Bradley and Zeller. 

I think Zeller probably has the highest upside of any of our bigs (not that that's saying much) and I think the defense of that Bradley/Smart/Crowder front court  is going to be crucial to our success this year.

On top of all this Noah has one of the most irritating, whiny personalities in the entire NBA.  Watching that guy in a Celtics uniform would make me cringe. If he still was as good as he was a couple of years ago I'd tolerate that, but he's not.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
No brainer for Boston. I do this all day everyday and twice on sunday 101 times out of 100.

No way Chicago lets Noah go.

The only reason Chicago says no would be because they view Noah as a their defensive anchor and spiritual leader. I think it'd be a huge blow to their locker room, but Avery Bradley would bring more shooting to their new motion offense.

Maybe they let him go because they're afraid some other team will over pay him next offseason. AB ensures that they're compensated for the potential loss of Noah. I'd even throw in one or two of the many second rounders we own to give CHI an extra incentive.