Author Topic: NBA Season 2015-2016  (Read 177216 times)

Re: NBA Season 2015-2016
« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2015, 10:20:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Kobe

Master brick layer

« Reply #541 on: November 28, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Best case senario is for the Lakers and Sixers to win 10-15 games all season and for the league to pull their usual punish the tanker routine on draft lottery night and let them slide down a couple of spots ;).

« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Lakers are close to being D league team .....Hibbert and Clarkson saves them just barely

Kobe is not in the top 200 players , much less top 20
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:02:51 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2015, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Lebron hacks arm of Lopez in front of 2 refs to save the game. Pathetic ref bailout

« Reply #544 on: November 29, 2015, 05:41:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
All the attention is rightfully on Steph Curry this season:  31.9 points, 6.1 assists, 5.1 rebounds, 2.6 steals with .515/.443/.939  ... Unbelievable.

But Kevin Durant has quietly been amazing as well in his 11 games:  28.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1 steal  .524/.471/.905

Both of those guys are having insane shooting right now... 28+ points with 50/40/90 club?... Crazy.     

« Reply #545 on: November 29, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The Rondo haters have gotten quiet.

He definitely has to be in the right situation. I don't think our team or Dallas was a good situation for him, but Karl is letting him run the offense to his strengths.
There was never Rondo haters... there were just people like me who loved him, but were adamant he was overrated by folks here who consistently wanted to compare him to superior players like Chris Paul.   They key reasons:

- Incapable of playing without the ball, because he was a horrible shooter... so the ball had to be in his hands at all times to be successful.  This inflated his stats

- Often played inflated minutes which inflated his stats

- Needed to be surrounded with players that had a specific skill set for him to be successful. 

- Dogged it on defense

- There were three years of evidence that the team played better when he sat

- Likely could replace him with a better shooter/weaker passer and see improvements... which is why I wanted to trade him for Steph Curry back in 2012 when Steph was injury prone player averaging 14.7 points on 49%/46%/81% shooting in the shadow of Monta Ellis... and got buried for it, because "Steph Curry sucked on defense" and "Rajon Rondo is a better pure point guard"... I loved the idea of adding young Steph next to Ray Allen in the back-court.  I didn't care about his lack of assists... I just figured you'd run the ball through Pierce/KG and spacing would improve. 

Anyways, Rondo wasn't able to play in a pace-and-space offense.  I predicted his demise in Dallas.  There was no way that could work, because they weren't going to change their entire offense (which was #1 in the league at the time of the trade) to let Rondo control the ball 99% of the time... and Rondo was a liability when he didn't have the basketball in his hands.  You can't have someone who destroys spacing be the point guard in a pace-and-space offense.

I said this offseason that he was still capable of generating big stats if a team was willing to give him the keys to offense.  It wasn't likely to result in wins, but he'd get his boatloads of assists.  Also, his per-minute stats last season in Boston were the highest of his career in terms of assists and rebounds... it wasn't like he lost the ability to play basketball.  He just couldn't play on a modern offense. 

So he's in Sac... his minutes are the highest they've been since 2012-13, he's had the keys to the offense, he's put up huge stats... and his team is 6-12.   Makes sense.   Maybe they'll get it together.  Rondo will be remembered as a poor man's Jason Kidd.  If he develops a consistent 3-point shot, he might eventually find a home contributing to a winner.  To his credit, he's shot 36% from three this year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:00:07 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #546 on: November 29, 2015, 06:23:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Best case senario is for the Lakers and Sixers to win 10-15 games all season and for the league to pull their usual punish the tanker routine on draft lottery night and let them slide down a couple of spots ;).

If the Lakers finish with the 4th or worse pick, it goes to the Sixers, so you have to pick which of those two teams you hope will be punished.

« Reply #547 on: November 29, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

If the Lakers finish with the 4th or worse pick, it goes to the Sixers, so you have to pick which of those two teams you hope will be punished.
My dream senario has the Lakers finishing with the worst record and the Sixers second worst record and for the Brooklyn pick to jump them into the top slot and the Celtics own pick jumps from 14th to second, leaving the Lakers at 3rd and the Sixers at 4th.

« Reply #548 on: November 29, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Lebron hacks arm of Lopez in front of 2 refs to save the game. Pathetic ref bailout

LOL .....yup a 10 yr fan could have called that foul.

This time it benefits the Celtics tho ....so I can live with it.  LOL.

« Reply #549 on: November 29, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He definitely has to be in the right situation. I don't think our team or Dallas was a good situation for him, but Karl is letting him run the offense to his strengths.
There was never Rondo haters... there were just people like me who loved him, but were adamant he was overrated by folks here who consistently wanted to compare him to superior players like Chris Paul.   They key reasons:

- Incapable of playing without the ball, because he was a horrible shooter... so the ball had to be in his hands at all times to be successful.  This inflated his stats

- Needed to be surrounded with players that had a specific skill set for him to be successful. 

- Dogged it on defense

- Likely could replace him with a better shooter/weaker passer and see improvements... which is why I wanted to trade him for Steph Curry back in 2012 when Steph was injury prone player averaging 14.7 points on 49%/46%/81% shooting in the shadow of Monta Ellis... and got buried for it, because "Steph Curry sucked on defense" and "Rajon Rondo is a better pure point guard"... I loved the idea of adding young Steph next to Ray Allen in the back-court.  I didn't care about his lack of assists... I just figured you'd run the ball through Pierce/KG and spacing would improve. 

Anyways, Rondo wasn't able to play in a pace-and-space offense.  I predicted his demise in Dallas.  There was no way that could work, because they weren't going to change their entire offense (which was #1 in the league at the time of the trade) to let Rondo control the ball 99% of the time... and Rondo was a liability when he didn't have the basketball in his hands.  You can't have someone who destroys spacing be the point guard in a pace-and-space offense.

I said this offseason that he was still capable of generating big stats if a team was willing to give him the keys to offense.  It wasn't likely to result in wins, but he'd get his boatloads of assists.  Also, his per-minute stats last season in Boston were the highest of his career in terms of assists and rebounds... it wasn't like he lost the ability to play basketball.  He just couldn't play on a modern offense. 

So he's in Sac... his minutes are the highest they've been since 2012-13, he's had the keys to the offense, he's put up huge stats... and his team is 6-12.   Makes sense.   Maybe they'll get it together.  Rondo will be remembered as a poor man's Jason Kidd.  If he develops a consistent 3-point shot, he might eventually find a home contributing to a winner.  To his credit, he's shot 36% from three this year.

The reason why Sac is struggling is because of injuries especially towards Demarcus Cousins  also Rondo is named the bright spot by fans and players on the team. Steph had major ankle injuries back then and it was a question whether he last long in the NBA. What evidence that a team played better when Rondo was out? The 2013 season when the Celtics had an easy schedule? Last year? When the Celtics acquired Isaiah Thomas? And I don't think you've seen the Rondo detractors when he was with the Celtics.

« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LarBrd33 speaks with a forked tongue.

He "Loves Rondo" with one side of the tongue, but then gives a litany of his supposed faults.

I'd love to have my cake and eat it too.

« Reply #551 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

- Dogged it on defense

The reason why Sac is struggling is because of injuries especially towards Demarcus Cousins  also Rondo is named the bright spot by fans and players on the team. Steph had major ankle injuries back then and it was a question whether he last long in the NBA. What evidence that a team played better when Rondo was out? The 2013 season when the Celtics had an easy schedule? Last year? When the Celtics acquired Isaiah Thomas? And I don't think you've seen the Rondo detractors when he was with the Celtics.
There was 3 years of evidence that Boston played better without Rondo.  I think the first whiff of it was when he was having arguably his best statistical season ever chasing the assist record, the team was below .500 when he got injured, and then Pierce and KG carried them to the playoffs without him.  There were pockets of evidence following that.  The year we tanked, we were something like 3-27 in games Rondo played... he was our secret weapon to tanking.    Last year, the team was below .500, they lose Rondo and go on a run.  He joins the top-ranked offense in Dallas and they fall apart with him.   Plenty of evidence that he's a empty stats guy.

And yeah, some people were worried about Steph's ankles.  My argument at the time was simple... I remembered when Seattle traded Gary Payton for Ray Allen and Seattle fans had a panic attack about Ray's "glass ankles" that were supposedly being held together by screws.  It seemed like history repeating itself.   Man, I still day dream about what it would have been like to swap Rondo for Steph.  Supposedly Ainge actually tried doing that, but Golden State turned him down.

« Reply #552 on: November 29, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Rick Carlisle discusses Rajon Rondo's poor fit with Mavericks
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14251858/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-says-no-regrets-rajon-rondo-tenure
"With everything that happened with that whole situation, the bottom line is we fit him worse than he fit us. We were a worse fit for him than he was for us. We had a team of slashers last year. He needs shooters.

"Now he's got a center that's a shooter, he's got wing players that can all shoot the ball, and George has given him the keys to the ignition. He'll be great in that situation. We didn't have enough shooters around him."

« Reply #553 on: November 29, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I still hate the way he quit on the Celtics.  No surprise he is getting triple doubles again, he cares very deeply about his stats.

« Reply #554 on: November 29, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Rick Carlisle discusses Rajon Rondo's poor fit with Mavericks
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14251858/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-says-no-regrets-rajon-rondo-tenure
"With everything that happened with that whole situation, the bottom line is we fit him worse than he fit us. We were a worse fit for him than he was for us. We had a team of slashers last year. He needs shooters.

"Now he's got a center that's a shooter, he's got wing players that can all shoot the ball, and George has given him the keys to the ignition. He'll be great in that situation. We didn't have enough shooters around him."

Class move (finally) by Coach Carlylse to talk about Rondo....especially after he's been tossed under the bus, rolled over several times, had a DAL fanmade video made of him, not paid his playoff stipend by Cuban....basically blamed for DAL shortcomings last year....

Getting this out of Carlysle must have been akin to pulling teeth.

...but hey Rondo is getting paid millions to have thick skin. So it's all good..............right?

Truly happy for him where he's at and I wish the very best for him, Boogie, Gay and Coach Karl. He's a Celtic Great and is making a name for himself in SAC.